No announcement yet.

Bone broth digestive issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stopped the magnesium supplementation and it has improved a LOT. I guess that is the real reason. Although I am still going to look into that histamine thing, though.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
      I stopped the magnesium supplementation and it has improved a LOT. I guess that is the real reason. Although I am still going to look into that histamine thing, though.
      Then I think you are arriving at an ideal state of affairs - letting natural food supply you with enough nutrients that you can minimize supplement use. Congratulations! ;-)

Comment

If a liquid is too high in salt content, it will simply pass through your digestive system. Worth considering.

If you're adding normal amounts of salt, then I don't know.

EDIT: just saw magnesium post.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bosnic;981495]If a liquid is too high in salt content, it will simply pass through your digestive system. Worth considering.
          QUOTE]

Interesting, and not something I'd really thought of before. I don't consume alot of salt as a general rule, but definitely prefer more salt in my soups than other foods. What level of salt would be too high? Is there a specific content where the pass through starts to occur, or would it vary person to person?

Comment

I have noticed some gurgling when consuming bone broth. One of the primary extracts in making a broth is collagen. This is a large molecule and only digests well if the first step in it's cleavage is up to par. Pepsin, created in the stomach, is the first enzyme in this process. Pepsin production decreases with age and maybe stress. Using Pepsin as a supplement has eliminated any digestive symptoms for me.

Comment

on days i have broth, i have learned to take 1/2 my normal dose of magnesium. otherwise, yeah, most unpleasant.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
              X