Help designing a meal plan...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarasue624 View Post
    "Mom, I've done some research, I can send you links if you want, but basically a healthy, maintainable ketogenic diet isn't compatible with the lipid hypothesis. What would you like to do?"

Done. Ball's back in her court. She's an adult, make her act like one.
    Only thing is, I know which one will win.

And then she'll never experience ketosis. And I'm hopeful that a ketogenically diet will encourage her to ditch lipid hypothesis if she does well on it. One leads to the other, so to speak.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

The thing is, you can't do low carb and low fat. You cannot. So in order for you to do low carb, you have to find high fat options. And they can't be poly-unsaturated or saturated fats. Leaving only mono-unsaturated fats. Hence my olive oil post above.

So I interpret this thread as being a request for ideas about ways to cook with olive oil. Here goes:
      1. as a salad dressing
      2. as a cooking oil
      3. In Hummus/Pesto/Baba Ghanoush
      4. On an antipasto platter with sundried tomatoes, olives, cheese, salmon etc
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Add avocados (has some carbs but mostly fibre) to meals.
        Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Heth View Post
          Add avocados (has some carbs but mostly fibre) to meals.
          Those are one of her fave veggies (well, fruits). I would definitely unclude them, at least in small amounts (because of the carbs).
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

First, how many calories does she eat and how many meals? Because that will help.

In addition, "CW levels" puts "low fat diets" at 30% from fat or less. Which means you can basically put her in the "zone" with low-glycemic carbohydrates and moderate protein, and she should be able to get keto.

I would also look at olive oil and coconut oil as the main sources of "added fat" -- since these are currently touted in CW as "healthy fats" -- so she'll feel comfortable with it.

From there, I would focus on fish, seafood, and then chicken and lean beef.

Roasting the whole chicken creates a healthier chicken overall (you can talk to her about the minerals and anti-biotic/microbial/viral attributes of cooking the chicken with skin and bone, but just not to eat the skin. She can even focus on only eating the white meat, then making broths with the remainder, and then straining it so that she's getting all of the nutrition (and protein mostly) without the fats in the bone broth. She can even scoop off the fat if she wants (we don't, but hey, whatever floats a boat).

She'll do quite well with white fish -- doesn't even have to be the oily stuff -- if she is eating comfortably of her olive and coconut oils, really. And it should do the trick for her overall.

Keep her in salads and fresh steamed veggies, and then fruit 1-2 pieces/servings a day if she'd like.

It should work.

Comment

here is my diet plan i follow 6 days a week with a refeed from friday night-sat night

Meal 1- 4 eggs, 4 bacon, .25 cup olive oiul. 85 gram spinach. all cooked in the bacon grease
              Meal 2- Protein shake with 3 tablespoon MCT oil
              Meal 3- 8oz meat, 2 cups veggies
              Meal 4- Protein shake
              Meal 5- 8oz meat and 2 cup veggies

Somedays I only eat 3 meals somedays I fast to get me into keto faster
              Started Primal November 20, 2011
              Slipped from Christmas-New Years
              January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
              Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bosstycoon View Post
                here is my diet plan i follow 6 days a week with a refeed from friday night-sat night

Meal 1- 4 eggs, 4 bacon, .25 cup olive oiul. 85 gram spinach. all cooked in the bacon grease
                Meal 2- Protein shake with 3 tablespoon MCT oil
                Meal 3- 8oz meat, 2 cups veggies
                Meal 4- Protein
                Meal 5- 8oz meat and 2 cup veggies

Somedays I only eat 3 meals somedays I fast to get me into keto faster
                I don't think she has time to prepare 5 meals a day, good lord!

Plus, you missed the entire point of my first post about her CW hang-up with the lipid hypothesis.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                  First, how many calories does she eat and how many meals? Because that will help.

In addition, "CW levels" puts "low fat diets" at 30% from fat or less. Which means you can basically put her in the "zone" with low-glycemic carbohydrates and moderate protein, and she should be able to get keto.

I would also look at olive oil and coconut oil as the main sources of "added fat" -- since these are currently touted in CW as "healthy fats" -- so she'll feel comfortable with it.

From there, I would focus on fish, seafood, and then chicken and lean beef.

Roasting the whole chicken creates a healthier chicken overall (you can talk to her about the minerals and anti-biotic/microbial/viral attributes of cooking the chicken with skin and bone, but just not to eat the skin. She can even focus on only eating the white meat, then making broths with the remainder, and then straining it so that she's getting all of the nutrition (and protein mostly) without the fats in the bone broth. She can even scoop off the fat if she wants (we don't, but hey, whatever floats a boat).

She'll do quite well with white fish -- doesn't even have to be the oily stuff -- if she is eating comfortably of her olive and coconut oils, really. And it should do the trick for her overall.

Keep her in salads and fresh steamed veggies, and then fruit 1-2 pieces/servings a day if she'd like.

It should work.
                  She said that she's less concerned about the fat percentage in her diet than she is about the type of fats (low saturated fat levels for sure), and the amount of cholesterol she intakes. So that opens things up a LITTLE bit? Maybe?

Comment

woops sorry. Been browsing threads a little to fast as Im all hyped on reading post lol. Well sorry i dont have to much background research on lipid hypo but i heard its just a myth. and she cant reach keto without having high fat in this diet. I follow the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet..

ps what is CW? current weight? i see it everywhere but just havent found the simple definition haha newbie..
                    Started Primal November 20, 2011
                    Slipped from Christmas-New Years
                    January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
                    Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

Comment

Conventinal wisdom.

Which I see that you are still struggling with with your need to eat five to six meals a day.

Fasting FTW.

Comment

Why would you try to put together a keto diet using CW fat guidelines? Makes no sense. Sounds as though the very premise is half-assed.

Comment

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but for me to stay in ketosis there is absolutely. no. way. that I can include grains and sugars. For me to be in ketosis, I need less than 30 g carbs per day total. One serving of rice is about 45 grams. A slice of bread is somewhere between 25-30 grams.

Plus, only consuming olive oil all day, every day would feel just awful after a while. Diversity is good.

Comment

Maybe you need to outline what it takes to stay in ketosis. Then she can decide how she wants to proceed. I hear your frustration. My family will not even try. My mother's last word on the subject was 'your way of eating is too much trouble'. So you are heading in the right direction. Don't give up.
                            You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                            height 5'3
                            SW 215 lbs
                            CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                            LW 172 lbs
                            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
                              Maybe you need to outline what it takes to stay in ketosis. Then she can decide how she wants to proceed. I hear your frustration. My family will not even try. My mother's last word on the subject was 'your way of eating is too much trouble'. So you are heading in the right direction. Don't give up.
                              Cooking pasta actually takes MORE time than cooking up a perfect primal omelet or a steak, or some pork chops, or... Well, you get the point. Too much trouble indeed.

Comment

lol...trust me I understand. Not to mention how much trouble it is to be sick all the time.
                                You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                                height 5'3
                                SW 215 lbs
                                CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                                LW 172 lbs
                                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X