No announcement yet.

Natural remedies for "feminine issues"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't sound like BV at all. Not all yeast infections are accompanied with profuse discharge, even in the same person repeated infections can be different.
    I second the common sensical approach of simply getting an OTC topical antifungal, e.g. Monistat, and curing this in 3 days rather than shoving random food up there.

Comment

Boric acid. Go to your pharmacy, and get the food grade boric acid powder (not the cockroach killer!). It's used as an eyewash, so it's perfectly safe -- it's antifungal and antibacterial. Make up some 00 capsules, and insert two per night until your symptoms go away. This is good for pH imbalance, yeast, and BV. I've used it frequently for these issues, and you just have to be sure to wear a pad at night and the next morning because it creates a watery discharge.

I've tried garlic, yogurt, and probiotic pills -- boric acid beats them all, although I usually follow up a round of boric acid with some probiotic pills shoved up there just to be safe

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfRound View Post
        Doesn't sound like BV at all. Not all yeast infections are accompanied with profuse discharge, even in the same person repeated infections can be different.
        I second the common sensical approach of simply getting an OTC topical antifungal, e.g. Monistat, and curing this in 3 days rather than shoving random food up there.
        In what way does it not sound like BV? As it is common to have BV with no symptoms and she mention itchy only.

I think the common sense approach for a 20 yo with nearly no medical history/past experience to go by would be to see a medical Dr.

Comment

On using OTC remedies - Monistat has NEVER worked for me, so that's why I don't recommend it. I also don't like the idea of using chemicals for this kind of things, rather than a natural remedy.

On seeing doctors - if spending the money to get the diagnosis is worth it to you, do it. Worth knowing, I suppose, but I don't recommend anti-biotics and that's what they'll want you to take.

I believe that vaginal yeast infections are not just a result of vaginal ph being off, but something wrong with your system, that in turn throws off your vaginal ph. It doesn't just randomly happen, it's something that starts in the gut.

I have battled with YI a lot this year, so I've had plenty of time to figure out what words for me and what doesn't.

Garlic gloves, sliced a little, or cut in half, do work, but they will also affect your discharge. I used them at night, but since my symptoms were worse in the morning, it would have made more sense to insert a fresh one in the morning instead. Raw apple cider vinegar, diluted, and applied to the sore areas externally can help soothe the sore and itchy parts. If you are going to try garlic, you need to use it consistently for at least 3 days (or longer, if you are still having symptoms) to insure that it's all gone.

But this is just symptoms, not the imbalance. Candex is expensive, but it was effective for me, for a while, taken at the recommended dose. Caprylic acid capsules were also effective, and less expensive. Lay off the yogurt for now, you might just exacerbating the problem with too much sugar in your system (especially if you are unknowingly sensitive to dairy). Right now, I am having very effective relief from Pau D'Arco tea. You can also get it as a liquid supplement. It's kind of reminiscent of wood, not unpleasant, and nice with a little honey. I read to drink 4 cups brewed with a fresh bag daily. I got a yeast infection yesterday morning after drinking too much alcohol and it's basically gone after 4 cups yesterday.
          Depression Lies

Comment

If she's sexually active, I think a diagnosis IS worthwhile. Best to rule certain things out.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Just see an MD. I don't like MD's, but really, putting garlic up your twat? You might have something serious that impacts fertility. If you are broke, try Planned Parenthood, they charge on a sliding scale.

If it was me, I'd try Monistat. If it doesn't work, try your doctor.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

^Just a side note, I find it really funny that there are such disparities in thought in the ancestral health community. You'll find people who are totally against statins and psychotropic drugs, but tell you to use OTC remedies for practically anything, and you'll find people who are against even NSAIDs (Ibuprofen). There's always information for and against each option.

To me, in this case, what it comes down to is doctor = antibiotics = potentially really screwing up your gut. I'm there right now, and it seriously sucks. I'd love to see Mark get a female blogger involved in addressing home remedies for these kinds of things ("Ask [woman]" instead of "Ask Marc").

Either way, I hope the OP recovers quickly.
                Depression Lies

Comment

I guess in this case, it's a question of diagnostics- is it a yeast infection or bacteria? Once you know what it is, then you can treat it however you wish.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                    I have heard several ladies around here mention the Chinese herb "dong quai." I'm not a lady so I can't tell you much about it other than to say that it seems to get good endorsements for hormone regulation and other "femenine" issues from the ladies that I've heard mention it.

It's all natural at least. Maybe some ladies here can tell you more about it?
                    i use the dong (heh), but it is for hormonal regulation and works just great at that. at least for me.

as for "thinking" you have a yeast infection... just eating yogurt doesn't guarantee you'll never get one. there is a wide variety of microbes in our down-there-bits, not just the handful in the yogurt.

if you have had ANY unprotected sex, get to a doctor. seriously. even if it has been with your "monogamous" partner. if you can truthfully answer no to that, feel free to try any of the natural remedies here. even if you see a doctor and it doesn't require antibiotics, you can still use these suggestions instead of monistat.

but please rule out that it is NOT an std before shoving garlic up your woo-woo.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Totally agree that if you've had a yeast infection before and you're experiencing different symptoms now, and you're sexually active, then yeah, see a doctor. I haven't had a lot of yeast infections but they've always presented with the same set of symptoms.

I'm surprised to see so much pearl-clutching over the garlic thing. It's dirt cheap, painless, effortless, and it works like a charm. Natural medicine at its best. I just poke it with a fork and shove it up in there. Voila, YI is gone within a day. And if you're worried, it's impossible for it to get "lost" up there. You just dig it out the way you'd dig out a Diva Cup.

Comment

SEE A DR. FOR a DIAGNOSIS!

I don't see any problem in going to a Dr. to at least diagnose what is going on. You don't have to take anyting that is prescribed if you don't want to, but at least you'd know what kind of home remedy you'll need if you go that route.
                        Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Also, if it is a yeast infection ~~ COCONUT OIL. It kills yeast on contact. Soak a tampon in it. It'll be easier to retrieve than the garlic.
                          Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            ^Just a side note, I find it really funny that there are such disparities in thought in the ancestral health community. You'll find people who are totally against statins and psychotropic drugs, but tell you to use OTC remedies for practically anything, and you'll find people who are against even NSAIDs (Ibuprofen). There's always information for and against each option.

To me, in this case, what it comes down to is doctor = antibiotics = potentially really screwing up your gut. I'm there right now, and it seriously sucks. I'd love to see Mark get a female blogger involved in addressing home remedies for these kinds of things ("Ask [woman]" instead of "Ask Marc").

Either way, I hope the OP recovers quickly.
                            I have chronic UTIs; have had them on and off since college. I get them 2-4 times/year if I get them at all. I can go several years without one and then a string of them. Usually, I can take a bolus dose of Amoxicillin and it knocks it out within 24 hours. This time? I'm on my second round of antibiotics and feel like I am going crazy. Last night the Bactrim seemed to give me insomnia, anxiety and weird rapid eye movements.

Will I be sticking garlic in my pee-pee? Or yogurt? Or Boric acid suppositories? Eeek

Sometimes, a visit to the doctor is warranted. Not sure it is here for the OP yet, though. There are OTC or home remedies to alleviate any discomfort. If you try an antifungal and it doesn't quickly alleviate some of the discomfort then I'd for sure go see an MD. Keep clean and airy (go commando in a dress!), don't use scented hygeine products at all, make sure you have heavy duty probiotics on hand (I like Florajen3) and rethink any contraception you are on.

Sorry! I have never had a yeast infection, but i know what it is like to be that uncomfortable in the crotch. It can make you insane.

So, I either stop having sex (husband says WHAT?!) since the UTI always comes after sex or I figure this out. Off to the MD tomorrow for a pelvic exam or ultrasound since I also have lower back ache. I don't like the doctor! I've never even been to Urgent Care...
                            sigpic
                            Age 48
                            Start date: 7-5-12
                            5'3"
                            121lbs
                            GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                            Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
                              I have chronic UTIs; have had them on and off since college.

<<snip>>

Will I be sticking garlic in my pee-pee? Or yogurt? Or Boric acid suppositories? Eeek
                              the op doesn't know what is wrong with her. if an std might be a possibility she shouldn't be dawdling around with garlic or anything else. she needs to see a doctor. period.

i've had one yeast infection -- pre-internet. i needed a prescription and 7 days of goo in my hoo-hoo. yuk. if i'd known an alternative, trust me, i would have used it.

a few years back, i had a uti and got a script for that. unbeknownst to me, it was ineffective, i got a kidney infection and wound up in the er. zomg, was i sick.

if this is presenting differently than a previous issue for the op, she needs to see a doctor. jeebus.
                              Last edited by noodletoy; 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

If she's sexually active, she at least owes it to her partner to find out what she has or doesn't have.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X