No announcement yet.

Aroy-D Coconut Milk (in the tetra paks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aroy-D Coconut Milk (in the tetra paks)

2 Questions
    -Where does the Aroy-D coconut milk that you consume come from? from all the searches i've done it seems most people are getting the one that comes from Thailand. The Aroy-D milk i buy in the Toronto (Canada) area comes from Vietnam. Which i find strange b/c even after doing a web search they all show that their coconut milk comes from Thailand?

-also, the ingredients states that it only contains coconut extract and water. Yet, i notice that after its been sitting in the fridge, the water and cream dont separate. How is this possible? I've made coconut milk before and when left in fridge the water settles to the bottom and the cream at the top.
    You would think that if the product is not separating it would contain guar gum etc.

Aroy-d makes great tasting coconut milk, but something tells me that it contains some other additives other then just coconut extract and water.
    Last edited by sandokan2112; 10-13-2012, 06:47 AM.

I haven't seen that Aroy-D but I was just in Toronto for a week and weirdly found the same happened there with my usual Thai Kitchen coconut milk. I could not get it to separate, the label was Premium and the ingredients exactly the same as the one I use in Vancouver but it was all kind of homogenized. I bought 3 cans there from different places, all the same. I usually pour out half of the liquid to have more of a cream, but couldn't do it.

Sorry, but only a semi-related reply
    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Hi
      I found your post because I too am curious about Aroy-D. I have found this coconut milk in an asian store here in Sweden and I like it because it has only coconut 60% and water. I used to buy the cans and they separate even in my cupboard. Also, in the store when you shake it it feels stiff and no sound can be heard. Then the other day I bought the tetra pak and it doesn't separate. in the store, when I shake it it feels and sounds like a carton of milk. Strange. It's the same brand and the ingredients list is the same.

Comment

Hi
        I found your post because I too am curious about Aroy-D. I have found this coconut milk in an asian store here in Sweden and I like it because it has only coconut 60% and water. I used to buy the cans and they separate even in my cupboard. Also, in the store when you shake it it feels stiff and no sound can be heard. Then the other day I bought the tetra pak and it doesn't separate. in the store, when I shake it it feels and sounds like a carton of milk. Strange. It's the same brand and the ingredients list is the same.

Comment

I agree with the original poster of this thread that something is not as advertised with the AROY-D Coconut milk and cream products. They are perfectly homogenized and do not separate out milk from fat as all other coconut products do. They are either using some emulsifier that they do not list as an ingredient, or even worse they may be using some kind of homogenized transfat version of coconut fat.

Comment

Based on what other people are saying, you should definitely call the company if you can and demand an answer.

Good investigative work, you guys =P

Comment

My Aroy D in tetra packs separates!
              Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

Originally posted by Muppet View Post

Mine too. I've notice all manner of consistency with coconut milk, even within the same brand.

Comment

Mine sometimes seperates too. What's this about trans fats??

Comment

Originally posted by Muppet View Post
                    It's a question of the amount of separation. When I make coconut milk myself, or when I buy it from any other company that sells pure coconut milk, 90% of it becomes a liquid, and there is about 10% fat that separates. With the Aroy D product the liquid is only about 40%. But then take a hand whipper and whisk it all together and refrigerate it. It STAYS homogenized for many days with no separation.

Aroy D is the only product that does this. Any other coconut milk will separate the next day, IF it is PURE coconut milk or cream. If it contains an emulsifier, then the fat doesn't separate.

And all of this is even worse with the Aroy D Coconut Cream product. That product has about 70% of it as a soft homogenized fat that has a creamy consistency. There is maybe 30% liquids, and again when you mix it together and refrigerate it stays homogenized. There is no coconut cream without emulsifier I have ever seen that does this.
                    Last edited by westes; 12-20-2013, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasperb View Post
                      Mine sometimes seperates too. What's this about trans fats??
                      Read about hydrogenation of coconut oil here:

Coconut oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hydrogenation is the same process that creates trans fats. So apparently some kinds of coconut oils are hydrogenated in order to increase their melting points. Information on hydrogenation creating trans fats here:

CSPI: Transfat

Again, I don't know what Aroy D is doing. But clearly something in their chemistry or food selection process is different than everyone else's. I have made coconut milk many times, and I have bought just about every brand known. Aroy D's product behaves like products that contain emulsifiers behave, yet Aroy D claims there is no emulsifier.

Comment

From what I've seen, Arroyo-D has twice the solids (at twice the price) of :regular brands of coconut milk. I prefer the less solid cheaper brands that are more liquid - that way I don't throw away a 1/2 can of solids that don't pour out.

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                          From what I've seen, Arroyo-D has twice the solids (at twice the price) of :regular brands of coconut milk. I prefer the less solid cheaper brands that are more liquid - that way I don't throw away a 1/2 can of solids that don't pour out.
                          How are you able to determine that Aroy-D has more solids? To me their milk product doesn't look more solid, just very homogenized. Their coconut cream product is *AMAZING*. It tastes great, looks like a heavy whipping cream, etc. But I'm very concerned how do they achieve that homogenized texture. Either they are hiding ingredients, or the coconut oil in their mixture is hydrogenated in order to keep it solid. If it were so easy to create that kind of homogenized texture then all of their competitors would be doing it too.

What I really need here is a food lab to take the product apart and tell me what is really in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                            By the way Paysan what you do is open the container, pour out any liquids or material near the top, then cut open the entire top. I reach in with a spatula (or use your hand as a scoop) and take out all of the solids inside.

Comment

Aroy-D Coconut Milk, 8.5 fl. oz. Carton Temple of Thai

Aroy-D UHT (ultra high-temperature) Coconut Milk can be used for making your favorite Thai dishes, desserts, and drinks. This type of high heat treated coconut milk is homogenous, and does not separate much, even when refrigerated. It reacts differently when cooked compared to canned coconut milk, which contains a layer of coconut cream which can be skimmed off the top when cold (which is handy when cooking many Thai dishes). Therefore when using this type of coconut milk, if coconut cream is called for in the recipe, you will also need to purchase coconut cream.

UHT is a process to preserve highly perishable milk by heating at very high temperatures to kill bacteria for a very short period of time (according to Wikipedia: 1–2 seconds, at a temperature exceeding 135C), cooling rapidly and packaging in an aseptic package (typically a mix of paper, polyethylene [LDPE], and aluminum, with a tight polyethylene inside layer per Wikipedia). This modern process increases the shelf life to many months. Many feel that UHT is the solution to avoid the BPA which canned coconut milk may possibly contain (see the Wikipedia entry for Bishenol A). At this time there does not seem to be any published studies on what this process does to coconut milk (esp. nutritionally), but it definitely changes the consistency of the milk (therefore also buy coconut cream if called for in your recipe). Note also that though you may store UHT products for a long time the sweetness, flavor and overall quality will decline as the expiration date is reached.

UHT cartons are recyclable in the USA in some areas. If you are unable to recycle these type of cartons in your area, there are ways to reduce your use of them. Start by reducing consumption by selecting the largest carton available rather than multiple small ones. Another idea, to reuse this type of container, is to grow plant seedlings or use for molds.

This type of coconut milk is shelf stable and will last up to one year at room temperature. Once opened it needs to be refrigerated or frozen to keep. It is 100% coconut milk with no preseravatives added.

Comment

Working...
                              X