Less carbs means you need less sleep?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less carbs means you need less sleep?

Has anyone experienced this? I remember back before I became pregnant it seemed like the less carbs I ate the less sleep I needed.

I could really use a way to need less sleep right now with a newborn that wakes every 1-2hrs to feed....I'm trying to survive off of 4 hrs of sleep....it's not working. :/ I can't sleep well during the day cause by the time I get her down it seems like she wakes up again. I know this won't last forever, but I'm desperate to get to feeling better.

Right now I eat two starches a day, usually a banana and sweet potato. The rest is meat, eggs, veggies, 85% dark chocolate. Maybe I need to scrap the starches.

Thanks for the input!

Sorry... I have more energy during the day with less carbs, but I still definitely need 8-9 hours at night. I don't feel well on less than 6.

I understand the feeling though. Are you breastfeeding? The one thing that was a lifesaver for me when my son was a newborn was to learn to nurse laying down or in a recliner with him on a nursing pillow, so I could sleep a bit while feeding him. It's rough when you have a poor sleeper... my son spent his first 6 months or so sleeping in my arms, so I totally understand! If I hadn't been able to doze while holding him, I might not have survived it!

Hope you find something that helps!

Comment

i don't think that any macro tweek is necessarily going to permit you to get away with less sleep. check out biphasic sleeping, as a hack?

Comment

I actually began to have sleep disturbances while trying a low carb approach. It all subsided when I reintroduced them.

Comment

I functioned for a week on VLC (<50g Carbs) and very little sleep. I was in Ketosis and when I was woke up after say 4hrs, I was AWAKE, it almost felt like I was on speed. I am not sure if I was "all there" but definitely did not feel sleepy....I did feel a little wired/wierd though if I am being honest.

Comment

My best suggestion is to sleep with baby, literally. I coslept with both my kids for the first 6 weeks, napped with them during the day as well. Baby will fall asleep more quickly and you will get more rest.

Comment

Personally, my sleep quality suffered tremendously on low carb.

Maybe you'd be a good candidate to try out polyphasic sleep. Seems like it could be the perfect thing for people who need to get by on less sleep. Here's an interesting link about it:

Sleep (or how to hack your brain) + Dustin Curtis

Comment

Your feeding a screaming baby several times a night. Suck it up and be miserably happy with it like the rest of us parents .

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                  My best suggestion is to sleep with baby, literally. I coslept with both my kids for the first 6 weeks, napped with them during the day as well. Baby will fall asleep more quickly and you will get more rest.
                  Yep. This totally works. If not right in bed with you, then in a co-sleeper side carred to your bed. Learn to nurse lying down. I promise you, everyone will sleep better.

But like you said, this time will pass. You need to get in bed earlier and try to nap when baby is napping.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatherly View Post
                    Yep. This totally works. If not right in bed with you, then in a co-sleeper side carred to your bed. Learn to nurse lying down. I promise you, everyone will sleep better.

But like you said, this time will pass. You need to get in bed earlier and try to nap when baby is napping.
                    Dozing whenever u can is definitely the way to go. I didn't really know what I was doing with my first, but I slept totally on baby schedule with the second. It seems crazy at first, but it feels so much better.
                    50yo, 5'3"
                    SW-195
                    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

I don't know about being pregnant but I have always been a light sleeper. It's harder for me to fall asleep but my hours are about the same
                      My Primal Journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65788.html

16 years old
                      5'5"
                      SW: 170
                      CW: 162
                      GW: 140

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

3rd (or whatever it is up to) co-sleeping. That's what we're supposed to do, to help us not become sleep deprived (imagine Mama Grok putting her baby anywhere other than in her arms to sleep!)

Comment

^Exactly. Co sleeping did this with my second and third children, got more sleep at night, baby doesnt lie there screaming while you struggle to open your eyes and get out of bed, and they seem to grow up happier/less stressy...the only thing is they take up more room in the bed than you might think...!

Comment

Co-sleeping is definitely the way to go! Did this with all 3 of mine, and it helped so much (especially with middle one, who didn't sleep for more than 20 mins at a stretch until she was 3 due to a medical issue) - I wouldn't have retained my sanity without it!

Comment

Thinking on this more.....you will never sleep the way you slept prekids again. It is a total PRIMAL shift. You will wake with a cough or sneeze from now on. "Mom ears" are made in nature, survival of the fittest.

Also remember the HUGE hormonal shift you are going through. You body is dumping hormones like crazy right now. If you are nursing, it will be more gradual, but if not, the shift is significant! Listen to your body, be gentle. Rest, eat well, breathe.

Comment

Working...
                              X