Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honestly- How many people here have GAINED weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Zena View Post
    I just finished reading at Ray Peat and all I can say is Good lord I am that person of whom he writes about. High dawn BS issues, waking with a pounding heart! abnormal temp and pulse. I haven't found the link for his suggested diet to treat it yetr but will keep looking and will follow all of the links you all have provided. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me and I will keep you all informed of my progress. Thank you so much for taking the time to supply the info and the links.
    The thing about Peat is that he doesn't exactly promote a specific diet, but he does recommend/not recommend certain things, for example, he is vehemently against polyunsaturated fats (including omega 3, which is one of the things I don't totally agree with). He is pro-fruits and anti-vegetables, and pro-saturated fats and gelatin from bone broths. He is pro-protein, but warns that the majority of it shouldn't come from only muscle meats, due to the high levels of tryptophan (which is why he promotes drinking like a quart of milk per day, another thing I don't agree with, but I am careful to try to balance the protein I eat by supplementing with bone broth and gelatin powder.) He goes into great detail about these things in a bunch of different articles, so there's a lot of digging. I find this both frustrating and kind of refreshing, because he isn't ever trying to tell people what to do or not do, he just lays out the research and the facts and lets people do what they want with that info.

    I really thought adding all that sugar back to my diet would be a disaster, and I was surprised to find that some of my health issues that got worse on paleo and primal (fatigue, depression, thyroid...) got significantly better with more sugar.

    Danny Roddy is a dude who is dedicated to writing about Ray Peat's work, interviews him occasionally, and in general tries to explain Peat's work and clarify the things that people tend to get confused about. His blog is worth checking out, too:

    http://www.dannyroddy.com/

    One other thing you might want to check out is Cold Thermogenesis. I started using this in the summer and it had a dramatic effect on my ability to deal with both heat and cold. One pretty common hypothyroid symptom is feeling cold in the extremeties, and being too cold in general. The CT and the higher doses of sugar really helped my body to start burning a little warmer. There's a long CT thread on this forum with some great links:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread56730.html
    Last edited by BestBetter; 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      I'm sorry to hear what you've been through. Short of suggesting you switch your diet to include more calories, you're a big person and you should be able to eat more and lose weight, you really should see a doctor. There's no shame in being sick and taking medication even if some gung-ho types here will tell you a good diet and a steady routine if exercise will cure what ails ye.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

      "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by AndreaC View Post
        No one has suggested iodine deficiency??
        She said she tried iodine and felt worse.

        Comment


        • #34
          What kind of coffee are you drinking? Perhaps it's the kind that blends in robusta beans, which are actually very bad for you.

          Also, I agree with high cortisol levels. How much sleep are you getting? Coffee can also exacerbate exhausted adrenals.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

          Comment


          • #35
            Nope. Had absolutely no issues losing weight so far. 32-35 lbs gone within 4 months, with little effort.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Zena View Post
              Thank you Snoopy and Joanie for your words and kindness. I was afraid I was in a boat alone and apparently I am. I will see if I can find a doctor that will help me. I do want to be well. I am at the end of my rope I guess!
              It is possible to get blood tests done without a doctor. You might want to check out online sites like healthcheckusa.com

              Healthcheck has a thyroid panel that tests TSH, free T4 and free T3 for $85. At one time they offered a discount with the code 12345. I don't know if they still offer that discount.
              Thyroid Panel II: T4 Free, T3 Free with TSH

              Comment


              • #37
                Here is another way to order your own labs Discount Online Blood Chemistry Tests & Results, Wellness & Anti Aging Direct Access Laboratory Testing

                Not that I'm saying you need them.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Focus on optimal nutrition and try to be a bit more active - that should up your metabolic rate.

                  Forget about losing weight for the time being and focus on healing your body and your metabolism first and foremost.

                  The weight loss will follow later and believe me, it will feel relatively effortless.
                  F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    My first assumption is that your calories were way higher when you initially started primal. (And you did say you have lowered your fat intake.) Honestly, gaining 60lbs. in 19 months on 1400 calories per day would be a crazy scientific oddity. (and not just a little crazy, virtually impossible.)

                    I'm not saying that to be negative, I just look for the most obvious answer first. Generally, most people who gain weight are simply taking in too many calories, often more than they think. (This is VERY common in paleo or Atkins, since fat is so calorie dense it's very easy to consume a LOT more calories than one is planning.) Even if you DO have a faulty thyroid, your body still has to burn calories to operate.

                    However, the first thing you should do is consult a physician on your thyroid. If you have struggled this long, it's best to get it checked. Next, do a detailed calorie log with not an inch of fudging. From there, you should be able to build a workable diet plan.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                      I'm sorry to hear what you've been through. Short of suggesting you switch your diet to include more calories, you're a big person and you should be able to eat more and lose weight, you really should see a doctor. There's no shame in being sick and taking medication even if some gung-ho types here will tell you a good diet and a steady routine if exercise will cure what ails ye.
                      Thank you for your empathy!

                      Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
                      She said she tried iodine and felt worse.
                      Yes I did try the iodine with co-supplements

                      Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      What kind of coffee are you drinking? Perhaps it's the kind that blends in robusta beans, which are actually very bad for you.

                      Also, I agree with high cortisol levels. How much sleep are you getting? Coffee can also exacerbate exhausted adrenals.
                      I sleep anywhere from 7-8 hours per night.. The coffee I drink is an organic coffee. I will have to check exactly what it is. I buy it froma local coffee shop..

                      Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                      It is possible to get blood tests done without a doctor. You might want to check out online sites like healthcheckusa.com

                      Healthcheck has a thyroid panel that tests TSH, free T4 and free T3 for $85. At one time they offered a discount with the code 12345. I don't know if they still offer that discount.
                      Thyroid Panel II: T4 Free, T3 Free with TSH
                      Hey thanks for this!! I will try and save up some of my tips and see if I can do this!!!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by bob loblaw View Post
                        My first assumption is that your calories were way higher when you initially started primal. (And you did say you have lowered your fat intake.) Honestly, gaining 60lbs. in 19 months on 1400 calories per day would be a crazy scientific oddity. (and not just a little crazy, virtually impossible.)

                        I'm not saying that to be negative, I just look for the most obvious answer first. Generally, most people who gain weight are simply taking in too many calories, often more than they think. (This is VERY common in paleo or Atkins, since fat is so calorie dense it's very easy to consume a LOT more calories than one is planning.) Even if you DO have a faulty thyroid, your body still has to burn calories to operate.

                        However, the first thing you should do is consult a physician on your thyroid. If you have struggled this long, it's best to get it checked. Next, do a detailed calorie log with not an inch of fudging. From there, you should be able to build a workable diet plan.
                        I have a calorie journal at myfitness and paleo track and I purposely figure everything high, say for example I have coconut cream, I will claim 1 ounce even if I only use 1 T.. I have a digital food scale, measuring cups and spoons on my counter. I do not ever eat or drink when out in public because I cannot measure or weigh plus I am cautious of not getting junk oils, soy etc... Seriously I am so careful it drives my dh to madness and he is as flummoxed as I am about this. I track EVERYTHING...so far today I have only had coffee, ann 32 oz of purified water.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          You don't have insurance - is there a free clinic in the area that would test your thyroid? Not just TSH, but T3 and T4 also. Make some phone calls to the local health department to see if there are any free clinics close to you. I would definitely bet on this being a thyroid issue - especially with you basal temps being so low. If you can't find a free clinic, find a doctor that is willing to take payments - or use a credit card and make payments on that if you have to. Hypothyroid can cause body aches, weight gain, fatigue - all kinds of nasty things.

                          I started taking Armour Thyroid about 4 months ago because I was "slightly" hypo by blood tests. I'm on a low dose, but enough to bring my levels up to "slightly" hyperthyroid. Doc says as long as I feel good we'll keep it where it is - not everyone has to fit into the high/low parameters set by the labs. I'm wasn't losing any weight until I got my thyroid function increased - no its coming off at a steady rate. - about a pound a week.

                          Best of luck...........
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion
                          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Armour Thyroid is natural thyroid hormones from pork if I remember correctly ?
                            Not many doctors agree to give it, it's more often treated with synthetic T4 which doesn't cure everyone.
                            I have thyroid issues but I'm not on any meds, because traditionnal doctors in France refuse to consider this as "hypo".
                            (as well as many other hormonal problems)

                            However, next week I have an appt in Bruxelles, Belgium with a world reknown "anti-aging" doctor called Thierry Hertoghe. I have red many things about him and his treatment protocols and I have much hopes about it. But it is so expensive...
                            Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
                            (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Zena View Post
                              I have a calorie journal at myfitness and paleo track and I purposely figure everything high, say for example I have coconut cream, I will claim 1 ounce even if I only use 1 T.. I have a digital food scale, measuring cups and spoons on my counter. I do not ever eat or drink when out in public because I cannot measure or weigh plus I am cautious of not getting junk oils, soy etc... Seriously I am so careful it drives my dh to madness and he is as flummoxed as I am about this. I track EVERYTHING...so far today I have only had coffee, ann 32 oz of purified water.
                              So by that logic, when you say you've been eating, what 1400 cals, it could actually be well under?
                              What quelsen said earlier to rings a true to me.

                              I see so many people posting on here saying they've been primal for X time and it's not working, but when you look at what the have been doing it actually resembles the fuckarounditis that you so often see at the gym. That is where a guy wants to pack on muscle but to do that he switches his workout plan each couple of weeks to try something new hoping for better results.

                              Have you actually read, understood and followed Mark's guidelines in The Primal Blueprint?
                              It sounds to that you've tried every flavour of the month self experimentation that has appeared on the forum instead and ended up eating way too little and stressing your body out even more.

                              Too many people try to get healthy by losing weight. More should concentrate on losing weight by getting healthy.

                              I'm not saying this to beat up on you, you situation sucks and I wish you the best with it.
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                              Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I'm sorry, but the whole "you're not eating enough to lose" thing gets me hot. Ever known an overweight junkie? Know anyone who came out of a concentration camp fat? At my laziest 200 pound not doing anything physical weight, at 1200 cal/day, I lost a good 2-3 pounds per week, sometimes more. And that was with one day a week at 1600+ cal because I didn't want my body to adapt to such a low calorie intake. Below 160 lbs, that naturally started to slow down.

                                My rules for weight loss:

                                #1. Never listen to anyone who is fat.
                                #2. Never listen (blindly) to anyone who has never been fat.
                                #3. Doctors, though flawed, generally give better advice than people on message boards.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                                B*tch-lite

                                Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X