Staples that have really helped you

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staples that have really helped you

Was thinking about this the other day and thought it would make an interesting thread.

what are your staple foods that help you to eat primally?

My big two are:

Cauliflower (rice/couscous and mash)
    Zuchinni Spaghetti

Any other staples?
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Ground.

Meats.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Two deep freezers full of a whole cow and a whole pig and lots of frozen vegetables for the winter.

edit: Oops, almost forgot my 35 laying hens for the fresh eggs every day!
      Last edited by AuroraB; 10-12-2012, 08:38 AM.
      Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

It sounds like you feel the need to REPLACE SAD food via making real food approaching pastas or rice.
        Sounds a bit wrong to me... Why don't you just chop the damn vegetables and steam, fry or eat them raw ?
        I sincerely don't get it at all. Even if from time to time some zucchini spaghetti is great with home made tomato sauce.

I have many staples btw, the vegetables I tend to eat the most are cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, red cabbage, cauliflower, kale...), zucchinis, asparagus, eggplant...
        For the rest, all kinds of meats, mainly beef (flank steak with added fat, fatty cuts, liver, heart...), and eggs, coconut products (coconut oil and shredded coconut), fish and seafood in general...
        Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
        (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

broccoli, sardines, eggs and beef. i feel like that describes my food for probably a third of my days. sounds a little boring like that, but it ends up tasting so damn good.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Broccoli, peppers, eggs, meat, butter, romaine lettuce

Comment

Onions, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, brussels sprouts, spinach, chicken breast, ground meats, sweet potatoes, apples and bananas.

These are my routine purchases right now, and I cook fresh each meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
                It sounds like you feel the need to REPLACE SAD food via making real food approaching pastas or rice.
                Sounds a bit wrong to me... Why don't you just chop the damn vegetables and steam, fry or eat them raw ?
                I sincerely don't get it at all. Even if from time to time some zucchini spaghetti is great with home made tomato sauce.

I have many staples btw, the vegetables I tend to eat the most are cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, red cabbage, cauliflower, kale...), zucchinis, asparagus, eggplant...
                For the rest, all kinds of meats, mainly beef (flank steak with added fat, fatty cuts, liver, heart...), and eggs, coconut products (coconut oil and shredded coconut), fish and seafood in general...

I eat all the different vegetables that you mention and more. I just like using Spaghetti and Rice/mash sometimes to accompany dishes that go well with them (e.g. meatballs, curry etc..)
                2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Comment

Grass fed ground beef. Love it. I buy 4-5 pounds at a time, divide it up into patties when I get home, put the patties in ziploc bags, and freeze. Easiest go-to meal ever if I'm feeling lazy or forget to defrost something early in the day.

Eggs - the best quality I can find.

Wild salmon - online source for 2/3 the price of local. Hot as a meal; cold as a snack; leftovers on top of a salad. No more nasty canned tuna for me.

Frozen veggies - nothing goes bad and WF does sell some organics this way. Also frozen organic berries.

Onions, lemons, tomato, and avocado.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Ok all good then hehe, there's nothing wrong with cauliflower rice (tastes GREAT with different spices and pan fried ), but sometimes on this forum people try to "replace" things and I think it's part of their failure and is a misconception of the philosophy of the Primal WOE.

Just wanted to add :
                    Raw ground beef eaten as a "Tartare"
                    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
                      Ok all good then hehe, there's nothing wrong with cauliflower rice (tastes GREAT with different spices and pan fried ), but sometimes on this forum people try to "replace" things and I think it's part of their failure and is a misconception of the philosophy of the Primal WOE.

Just wanted to add :
                      Raw ground beef eaten as a "Tartare"

I agree with Daydreamer on this topic. I was guilty of this for a long time. In fact, I find primal/paleo approved foods such as coconut milk, smoothies, powdered proteins, nut butters, etc., all to be the junk-foods of this lifestyle. Once I gave them up, I have made significant changes in my body composition.

Eating solid fresh foods as opposed to dried, powdered or blended foods has made all the difference for me.

Comment

Staples for me are multitudes of veggies, salmon, meat, canned fish.

As for trying to recreate the old stuff, the other night I made spaghetti sauce with sausage in it. Rich and thick. I had mine on sweet potato and served my partner his over ravioli. Oh it was so good. I haven't had a super thick tomato sauce in a long time.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yep. Powdered proteins is just a something that can be helpful when you're don't have much time and you're working out, but... I don't always get how it's better than say some cold skinless boneless chicken breast.

Nut butters are clearly the junk-foods of this lifestyle, I consider it as a treat.

But I won't criticize these foods too much because they were VERY VERY helpful when it came to gaining weight quickly in order to heal from my hypogonadism induced state of malnourishment. Coconut milk is still awesome

But yeah, the way I eat now is much much different than when I started, it's interesting to note.
                          I eat way more different vegetables, much less fruits, less nuts, and more forms of nutritious foods that I had no idea about 4 months ago.

Comment

I feel like mostly the replacements work as carriers for sauces and are actually somewhat important if you really enjoy cooking. I like zucchini spaghetti because it expands the variety of foods I can make (ie, things that need a bland base for a flavorful sauce).

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Grass fed beef, free range chicken & eggs, uncured bacon, salmon, scallops, shrimp & tuna

Avocados, olives, ghee, avocado & olive oils, cream, sour cream, yogurt, cheese, nuts

Arugula, asparagus, broccoli, Brussell sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cukes, eggplant, spring-mix greens, mushrooms, onions, peppers, squash, tomatoes

(Sparingly) Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, apple, grapefruit, dark chocolate, green tea, limes
                              (very sparingly) tequila

I buy organic 100% except broccoli, can't always find it org

Comment

Working...
                              X