Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to convince the wife of the harmful effect of wheat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, I second do more of the cooking. That's how I manage to ensure that my OH at least eats some veg and healthy stuff to offset his love for junk food! The only stipulation regards my OH's diet is that he does not prepare gluten containing foods in the kitchen because contamination makes me so sick. I agree that cooking, leading by example, and showing her that things don't have to contain wheat to be tasty and good is probably the best way to go. But ultimately, you have to respect that it's her body and her choice if she does not want to give it up. The last thing pregnant women usually need is men telling them what to do with their bodies - pregnancy is a tough enough time as it is without that.

And at the end of the day, it's wheat, not crack.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoPanda View Post
      And at the end of the day, it's wheat, not crack.
      *looks up the recent studies on opiates contained in modern wheat crops*

"The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I know, I know. But still, your baby isn't going to get born screaming for wheat if mama doesn't stop consuming it! If she was drinking a ton of booze, taking illegal drugs, or smoking, I'd say she needs a change of mind and fast.

Just wait until she wants to lose the baby weight, I reckon she might be more open to it then!

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
          Edit: Please tell me you are going to let your kids have birthday cake, not some paleo fake wheat cake... Don't ever forget Mark's 80 20 rules.... A little cake once in a while will not hurt (disclaimer: unless of course they have some reallly bad gluten allergies)......
          Haha, no! I'm totally cool with bad foods every once in a while as a treat.

I guess my issue is that she responds to new information in a totally different way than I would. If she were to approach me with a concern, and mention she had read some interesting research that had massive health implications, I would immediately look into it and come to a conclusion. I would not just shrug and dismiss it and claim I didn't care. That mindset is so foreign to my own that that's really what is bothering me I suppose. If she were, say, a die-hard vegan at least she would have put some effort into forming an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Iucounu View Post

I guess my issue is that she responds to new information in a totally different way than I would. If she were to approach me with a concern, and mention she had read some interesting research that had massive health implications, I would immediately look into it and come to a conclusion. I would not just shrug and dismiss it and claim I didn't care. That mindset is so foreign to my own that that's really what is bothering me I suppose. If she were, say, a die-hard vegan at least she would have put some effort into forming an opinion.
            Yes, but you are a dude!!!!!!
            I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
            My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Iucounu View Post

This is exactly what I was thinking. If my husband has a serious concern I listen to him, he does the same with me. I am the one who found the paleo diet, he didn't want to read the books but he was willing to listen and give it a try. It also helped that I cooked tasty meals. Cooking for your wife would be a big plus. Perhaps having an attractive paleo cookbook lying around might help too. Paleo Comfort Foods - Paleo Food Cookbook and Recipes has great pictures.

But your wife's resistance to new ideas is still a concern. You are on a journey (becoming a parent) where you will encounter so many things that you will have to decide on as a couple. This is new territory and that means new information. My husband and I read so many books about pregnancy, birthing and parenting the one thing we didn't know about and both wish we had is the paleo diet. I can understand why you would want to share what you've learned with her.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Working...
              X