Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My total cholesterol went from 146 to 217 in 4 months!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
    It's different for men and women. For women, TC is inversely related to all cause mortality. In other words, the lower your cholesterol is, the more likely you are to die.

    For men, there's more of a 'U' shape, where very low and very high cholesterol is dangerous. For men, the sweet spot to aim for is 200-280. The further you get from that zone, the higher your all cause mortality becomes.
    So the aim for women is to get TC as high as possible?

    Comment


    • #17
      Sooner or later you are going to hear horrible stories of how people's health is failing them from eating primal. How can eating animal fats be good for you on a daily basis!? This type of eating will soon be exposed just like the Atkins diet. I like the idea of cutting down on grains, bread, pasta, etc. But consuming a high dosage of fats will kill you. I have read a total of 4 threads in a week about people's cholesterol levels increasing.

      And the worse part is people are making excuses saying its okay, this and that.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
        In most cases LDL is calculated using the Friedewald formula which over-estimates LDL when Triglicerides are low. People with low triglicerides should have the LDL calculated with the Iranian formula
        A comparison of calculated results here LDL Cholesterol Calculator and elsewhere.
        So what LDL number should one aim for?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by KathyH View Post
          So what LDL number should one aim for?
          You shouldn't "aim" for any number.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            You shouldn't "aim" for any number.
            OK, what would be considered good or bad LDL particle number?

            Comment


            • #21
              Have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories or Why We Get Fat? If I recall correctly, 146 total cholesterol is low, and low cholesterol is a serious health risk, even more than high cholesterol. 217 is still within acceptable levels so I definitely wouldn't be alarmed. You're probably MORE healthy now.
              Out of context quote for the day:

              Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

              Comment


              • #22
                The reason I recommend "extreme ranges" is because cholesterol levels are next to useless in health determination. Its like asking if you should have me count the threads in your shoelaces to determine your health. Its not that we don't know...we do know....we know its useless.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  The reason I recommend "extreme ranges" is because cholesterol levels are next to useless in health determination. Its like asking if you should have me count the threads in your shoelaces to determine your health. Its not that we don't know...we do know....we know its useless.
                  OK, it's useless so why would someone make a claim that you will die if your TC is low without looking at other numbers?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Were you fasting for this quick test at work? I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on some health fair test at work. I get a TC number every time I donate blood (every 8 weeks) and it has been all over the place. Here's my past two years worth, with me going primal in May 2011:
                    4/21/2011 167
                    6/16/2011 122
                    8/18/2011 161
                    10/19/2011 160
                    12/20/2011 162
                    2/15/2012 209
                    4/19/2012 174
                    8/16/2012 163
                    -Chuck

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      OK, it's useless so why would someone make a claim that you will die if your TC is low without looking at other numbers?
                      No one is claiming you'd die, it's just a risk. Risks are percentages. Every person is individual, so obviously some people wouldn't be affected by that risk. If you expect someone to nail it down concretely, they'll never be able to. Or they'll just make something up to make you happy.
                      Out of context quote for the day:

                      Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                        No one is claiming you'd die, it's just a risk. Risks are percentages. Every person is individual, so obviously some people wouldn't be affected by that risk. If you expect someone to nail it down concretely, they'll never be able to. Or they'll just make something up to make you happy.
                        Magicmeri said that the lower the cholesterol the more likely you will die (if you are a female)

                        I don't want anyone to nail it down, I want to get an idea whether I should worry about my numbers or not. I keep hearing that the ratios are mre important than the TC but then I hear that low TC is dangerous so I asked if the ratios are IDEAL according to the calculator should one worry about low TC. That's all

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                          Magicmeri said that the lower the cholesterol the more likely you will die (if you are a female)

                          I don't want anyone to nail it down, I want to get an idea whether I should worry about my numbers or not. I keep hearing that the ratios are mre important than the TC but then I hear that low TC is dangerous so I asked if the ratios are IDEAL according to the calculator should one worry about low TC. That's all
                          You would be better off educating yourself about the latest thinking instead of asking if you should worry about your numbers. Who here on this forum has sufficient medical expertise and specific knowledge about you to answer a question like that? Read Peter Attia's cholesterol series. Watch the YouTube videos of Dr Lara Dall's presentation to GE. Listen to Jimmy Moore's podcast interview of Dr Thomas Dayspring. Listen to Chris Masterjohn's podcast. I am not trying to be a smart-ass, but to present a few lipid numbers and ask folks if should worry is, well, ridiculous.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                            You would be better off educating yourself about the latest thinking instead of asking if you should worry about your numbers. Who here on this forum has sufficient medical expertise and specific knowledge about you to answer a question like that? Read Peter Attia's cholesterol series. Watch the YouTube videos of Dr Lara Dall's presentation to GE. Listen to Jimmy Moore's podcast interview of Dr Thomas Dayspring. Listen to Chris Masterjohn's podcast. I am not trying to be a smart-ass, but to present a few lipid numbers and ask folks if should worry is, well, ridiculous.
                            Many people ask about cholesterol numbers and they are not being called ridiculous.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                              . Listen to Jimmy Moore's podcast interview of Dr Thomas Dayspring.
                              Indeed. Assuming you're not just trolling for fun, Kathy, that podcast has some good information.

                              ATLCX (Episode 29): Dr. Thomas Dayspring | Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most? Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                                OK, it's useless so why would someone make a claim that you will die if your TC is low without looking at other numbers?
                                Who said that?

                                Oh, I see...you conveniently left out the "more likely" to die so that you could create a straw man....clever.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X