Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potassium

Hi all,

I'm not feeling so great lately. I'm quite tired, groggy, cloudy-headed, and moody, and I' struggling to not gain weight. There could be a number of reasons for this, but I thought I'd consider my nutrition. FitDay says I'm consistently low on potassium. How about it? How much do we actually following PB?

How about magnesium? the two are related and need each other. I had similar symptoms last year and tried a magnesium sup. and felt a lot better

Comment

I second magnesium, as there are a lot of things that exacerbate magnesium shortage and the recommended 400mg is too little in my opinion. I find it very hard to get enough magnesium from the food that I eat and usually fall short if I don't take magnesium supplements.

Complete nutrition! It's as important as macronutrient ratio. Grok's food had a lot more nutrients of all kinds and while animal products are good for vitamins, protein and a few minerals like selenium and zinc, I constantly fall short of my targets without supplements. Hemp seeds have helped with some of that but they are a bit expensive so I'm more inclined to supplement.

And yes potassium is important too.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Whoops! There we go! I meant to ask "how much do we actually need following PB?"

That's a good point about magnesium. I am also consistently low in it, but I take a calcium/magnesium supplement. That said, I never know just how well supplements are absorbed in my body. I'd rather get all my essentials from food...

Comment

Wouldn't we all, but then that begs the question of "how!?"

Is your calcium/magnesium 1:1? Calcium blocks magnesium absorption and so I generally like to take my calcium/magnesium as 1:1 and then take a few magnesium at other times. Total calcium from both food and supplements is about 1000mg and total magnesium is about 700mg. I understand the disdain for supplements but when I added the magnesium supplements I had a dramatic improvement in mood and so I think that speaks to their efficacy.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Aha, okay I'll pick up some extra magnesium and potassium tomorrow. I'm not sure, but maybe it's available in raw organ meats and brains, but I'm just not ready for that yet! I'll try to remember to report back on the results.

;-)

Comment

I am also chronically low in potassium (lab reports)and I take a suppliment every day. When I miss my suppliment my legs begin to ache. I also take magnesium. I just take the daily recommended dose.

http://paleochickcooks@blogspot.com/

Comment

what kinda potassium do yall take? alway always very short on potassium and i get KILLER toe cramps too

Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

oh...or any good sources of potassium?? i like to get it thru food but i dont know many that would get me enough!

Get on my Level

Comment

Aha, so then low potassium might also explain my aches and pains too! Thanks teamommy. I hope this is it for me!

Comment

I finally actually looked up 'low potassium' and MY GODNESS! I have ALL these symptoms (except fainting)!

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/low_potassium/page3_em.htm

Usually symptoms of low potassium are mild. At times they can be vague. You may have more than one symptom involving the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, kidneys, muscles, heart, and nerves.

Weakness, tiredness, or cramping in arm or leg muscles, sometimes severe enough to cause inability to move arms or legs due to weakness (much like a paralysis)

Tingling or numbness

Nausea or vomiting

Abdominal cramping, bloating

Constipation

Palpitations (feeling your heart beat irregularly)

Passing large amounts of urine or feeling very thirsty most of the time

Fainting due to low blood pressure

Abnormal psychological behavior: depression, psychosis, delirium, confusion, or hallucinations.

Comment

The best way IMO of getting to 4700mg potassium a day (harder than you would think) is to go pick up a salt substitute. I too was constantly low on potassium missing my RDA by like 2000mg. So I picked up some 'No Salt' and a 1/4 of a tablespoon has about 650mg of pure potassium! Improved my levels almost immediately. Plus it mimics nature because you can mix it in your food. Supplements IMO dont give you much really. It is against Federal law to put more than 100mg in a supplement. That is hardly going to bridge the gap, especially if you are missing 1000+mg a day. Plus taking high doses of concentrated potassium pills can burn a hole in your stomach. Ouch! Good luck on feeling better!
                        Itís the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. Itís seeing all those sunsets that does it. You canít watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighborís tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.

Comment

What are good cheats / ways to "eat" magnesium rather than supplement?

Comment

NMG, I have been trying to find a great natural source of magnesium. I haven't found a great source. It appears that with the elimination of grains in the diet you also eliminate your best sources of magnesium (I maybe wrong, thats just how I see it). I dont eat dairy so, I take a calcium supplement. I treat magnesium the same way. I choose not to eat the best sources and so I must use supplementation. If you find a good natural food source for magnesium please let me know.
                            Itís the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. Itís seeing all those sunsets that does it. You canít watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighborís tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.

Comment

what kinda salt do you use... i HAVE TO get some... is it at like walmart?? brand name or something please...will it say it has potassium in it??
                              Get on my Level

Comment

Working...
                              X