Coconut milk is good or bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut milk is good or bad?

I want to incorporate this into my diet. I read an artical where mark criticises and questions whether we should drink coconut milk which i thought was strange since a lot of meals in the primal blueprint cookbook use coconut milk.

I don't recall that article. Could you link to it?
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Yes Coconut Milk and coconuts are EXTREMELY healthy. Iif you drink it in the morning with empty stomach...it's good for your skin & hair and it contains very less fat.

Comment

Ok. We're not talking about the same type of coconut milk here. The coconut milk one buys in carton is "milk" in the loosest sense of the word. It is overly processed and defatted and contains tons of stuff that are definitely not primal. Real coconut milk is chock full of fat and is made from coconut that is grated and squeezed out, giving you a very thick, creamy base. I doubt you can drink that stuff straight and not gag on the (good) fat content. Depending on your health goals, it may be a good idea to incorporate it into your diet.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

If I am thinking about the same article, I think Mark's post focused on things like BPA in the packaging and FODMAPS for people with particular problems. And generall just having too much of it. If you don't eat a kilo of it a day and get the sourcing right (no extra ingredients, no-bps packaging), it's a great thing to include in your diet.
          As to "milk" terminology - I think I have seem pretty much the same thing labelled as milk, cream, creamed coconut (slightly thicker or thinner consistency), so it's the ingredients that matter most. And most often you can judge by calorie content too - the higher calories, the thicker the milk. The brands Mark mentions in that post are good, I use the aroya one.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
            Ok. We're not talking about the same type of coconut milk here. The coconut milk one buys in carton is "milk" in the loosest sense of the word. It is overly processed and defatted and contains tons of stuff that are definitely not primal. Real coconut milk is chock full of fat and is made from coconut that is grated and squeezed out, giving you a very thick, creamy base. I doubt you can drink that stuff straight and not gag on the (good) fat content. Depending on your health goals, it may be a good idea to incorporate it into your diet.
            Yep. I am sure the recipes call for using canned coconut milk. The other is full of synthetic this and that. It is marketed as a replacement for cow's milk while the canned coconut milk is intended for cooking. I use the canned coconut milk for smoothies, add to white rice (replaces some of the water), curries and such. I used to buy the So Delicious Coconut Milk in cartons for pancake mix but I now just use heavy cream and water instead.

I guess a general rule of thumb would be the coconut 'milk' in the dairy cooler section isn't the best option but the cans on the shelf are fine.
            sigpic
            Age 48
            Start date: 7-5-12
            5'3"
            121lbs
            GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
            Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Mark did do a article a while back which mentioned coconut milk, I can't remember when, because he recommended using a brand of coconut milk called Aroya-D, as it was BPA free, my local Vietnamese shop sells it, which is why I remember, as I buy it there by the ton!

Cheers

Comment

It's called Aroy-D to be more precise
                Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
                (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

walmart sells a brand of coconut milk called golden star for cheap that uses bpa free cans.

Comment

I don't know what took me so long to jump on the canned coconut milk wagon, but holy crap is it awesome. I mix it up with cocoa powder, tasty chocolate protein powder, coconut oil, and sometimes a pureed avocado for a fat fat fat chocolate mousse when I need more calories. So good.

Comment

I drink a cup (small Aroy-D box) of it every day in my coffee and love the way it makes me feel, and it has not made any noticeable impact on my body composition. Granted, I eat for keto often for weeks on end.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                        I don't know what took me so long to jump on the canned coconut milk wagon, but holy crap is it awesome. I mix it up with cocoa powder, tasty chocolate protein powder, coconut oil, and sometimes a pureed avocado for a fat fat fat chocolate mousse when I need more calories. So good.
                        Stealing this. Coconut, chocolate and avocado. The culinary trifecta! Any ratios you recommend, or just to taste? I won't use the protein powder mostly likely. Is the cocoa powder unsweetened?
                        sigpic
                        Age 48
                        Start date: 7-5-12
                        5'3"
                        121lbs
                        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
                          Stealing this. Coconut, chocolate and avocado. The culinary trifecta! Any ratios you recommend, or just to taste? I won't use the protein powder mostly likely. Is the cocoa powder unsweetened?
                          I just mix to taste. I bet some melted dark chocolate would work great in place of the protein powder for flavor. It's a little bitter with just unsweetened cocoa powder.

Comment

I find that many of the coconut milk that I see contains guar gum? Is this even healthy?

Comment

From here: GUAR GUM: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Guar gum is LIKELY SAFE for most people when taken with at least 8 ounces of liquid. The water is important because it reduces the chance of choking or developing a blockage in the intestine.

Side effects include increased gas production, diarrhea, and loose stools. These side effects usually decrease or disappear after several days of use. High doses of guar gum or not drinking enough fluid with the dose of guar gum can cause blockage of the esophagus and the intestines.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
                              Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking guar gum during pregnancy in typical amounts is POSSIBLY SAFE. But not enough is known about the safety of taking guar gum during breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Gastrointestinal (GI) obstruction: Don’t take guar gum if you have a condition that causes obstruction or narrowing of your esophagus or intestine.

Surgery: Because guar gum might affect blood glucose levels, there is a concern that it might interfere with blood glucose control during and after surgery. Stop taking guar gum at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X