Lesser of two evils -- cream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesser of two evils -- cream

Setting aside the anti dairy sentiment for the moment, and keeping in mind that raw cream is a non entity where I live, and online ordering is way beyond what a pair of retires can afford, I have a choice. I can get rBST free organic ultra pasteurized or rBST free not organic but grass fed regular pasteurized cream. Neither is a rebranded generic national brand like Trader Joes. The organic is from a dairy collective in No. Calif, the other is from Clover Stornetta, a local family owned dairy in Petaluma, Ca. I buy both depending on where I shop on a given day. I only use cream in coffee and for some egg recipes. Do not drink milk at all and eat mostly raw milk cheeses when I can find them at TJs or Sprouts.

Don't tell me not to consume dairy. I did a whole 30 and it made no difference. I am northern European descent, tall, very fair and blue eyed. My ancestors were dairy producers going back to 1478 which I found out doing a genealogy project. I just wonder which of these two products is better. I know full well that getting organic cert in Calif is prohibitive and often buy organic pastured eggs from a local farmer who is not certified. So if we eat nothing but Kerrygold butter, not organic, what harm is not organic cream?

Of the two choices given, I would opt for the grass fed regular pasteurized cream.

Comment

I like Clover. I always get that cream in my coffee when I go to one of the coffee shops nearby where I work.
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

mmac, That is where I am leaning also. But I read that the temp differential is minimal, like 5 degrees F.

The other is Organic Valley. Sprouts has both, actually. I buy OV raw milk cheese and also their cream cheese.

I would just die without my HWC in my coffee. I gave up willingly chocolate, beer, nuts, all starchy veggies, balsamic vinegar, and fruit to try to get my insulin resistance under control. I can live on 20 grams of veggies plus a shitton of fat, and grassfed beef. Coffee makes that doable lol. And coffee black sucks IMHO. Nicaraguan Angelina this week. Most tasty.
        Last edited by Snauzoo; 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, I personally would go for the organic option in this case. I'd prefer dairy from a cow who was fed pesticide-free food (even if it means grain) over dairy from a cow who might be munching on a hefty dose of Roundup-sprayed grass.

Comment

If I know farmers at all, I would guess that they aren't spraying roundup, or much of anything else on the fields where the cows graze. There's not any return on that investment.

I'm not a fan of Organic Valley (rubbed off from my wife, who comes from a family of dairy farmers) and definitely not a fan of ultra-pasteurized anything.

I'd go with the pastured, not ultra-pasteurized.
            J.

Comment

Pasture doesn't get sprayed with round up; it would die. It may get fertilizer. The farm my horse is at sprays fertilizer once a year, the rest of the time chemical free. Hay production is similar.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I'd go with the grass-fed. Organic grain is still grain, and if you are eating/drinking cow fat, you should get as much quality fat as you can.

Comment

Okay Clover Stornetta it is. Strauss is a close neighbor, but for some reason not available within 20 miles from me. I can get their yogurt but not cream. Used to buy their milk when it came in glass bottles. Raleys dumped that for that horrid Horizon.

Thanks to everyone who replied and especially for not telling me no dairy.n

Comment

Originally posted by Snauzoo View Post
                    Okay Clover Stornetta it is. Strauss is a close neighbor, but for some reason not available within 20 miles from me. I can get their yogurt but not cream. Used to buy their milk when it came in glass bottles. Raleys dumped that for that horrid Horizon.

Thanks to everyone who replied and especially for not telling me no dairy.n
                    Where do you live, exactly? I see Strauss and Claravale all the time at the Mountain View Milk Pail Market. Or I think it's just Strauss that is stocked at Foothill Produce in Los Altos.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I live in the far east of Contra Costa county where the main grocery stores cater to low income or Hispanic shoppers. The only local store that sells organic produce has just announced its closure and is going to be replaced with a warehouse type store, with no natural foods section, no more quality meats or dairy. If you are lucky enough to be near Silicon Valley you get tons of options. If you live in a mostly Mexican population area you get inexpensive foods. I simply cannot afford the gas to drive 20 or 30 miles to get groceries. I have to try to stay as local as possible. Even the closest Whole Foods is 20 miles, and TJs is about 15.

I get good mileage in my little car and my last 12 gallon purchase was over $60. We are trying to figure out how to escape Califirnia taxes, exorbitant gas prices, horrific traffic congestion, oppressive wood burning laws and find a place where we can possibly grow more food, have some chickens, and maybe a neighbor with a cow or two

Comment

I would go with the grass-fed cream. It's probably organic in everything but name anyway.

Comment

I would strongly recommend going with the grass fed NOT ultra-pasteurized cream. As Danielle5690 said, I"m guessing that the farmer doesn't have the money or time for organic certification, but if it is grass-fed, you'll be getting the best quality, and the ultra-pasteurized is a big NO. I wanted to pick up some cream from whole foods yesterday and they only had ultra-pasteurized and I just decided to go without. From everything I've read ultra-pasteurized is the worst, because it is so dead.

Comment

Avoid ultrapasteurized.
                            Food Science: What's the Deal with Ultra-Pasteurization? | The Kitchn
                            Ultra-Pasteurized Milk - Weston A Price Foundation
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                            X