Fake olive oil in canned fish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake olive oil in canned fish

I think the oil in my canned fish is fake olive oil. I've been eating canned sardines in olive oil from several different brands every day for about a month now. My shoulders and ribs (do we have joints in our ribs??) have been getting stiffer and there's all kinds of popping and cracking going on. I had joint pain issues before I went primal and thought it was sort of a miracle that they went away. Then someone told me the joint pain cleared up because of the lack of cheap vegetable oils. So I think this new cracking and popping might be an indication the oil in canned fish is fake.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

i feel like the brands i eat might be fake too. at the very least, it doesn't taste like good olive oil. i haven't done the fridge test yet, but i think i might just switch to a packed in water brand without needing the confirmation.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I usually shoot for mine in spring water....I also drink the water (cheap sardine broth perhaps?). I'd give that a shot. And the ribs do have joints at the costovertebral (back) and costosternal (front) points. These can get misaligned or otherwise fixated and become painful. Or just become inflamed due to diet.

Comment

I buy only Wild Planet--they are what they claim.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
          I buy only Wild Planet--they are what they claim.
          And Wild Planet doesn't add any oil... the liquid in the can is actual fish juice, from the fish in the can. Add your own oils as desired.

Comment

I suppose you could put the can in the fridge to see if the oil solidifies...
            Female, age 51, 5' 9"
            SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
            2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

My knee is popping, too. This is really annoying. Wow, just shows you how powerfully bad this stuff is. From now on, fish in fish juice. I suspect my Italian olive oil might be fake, too, even though it's from Trader Joe's. I've been eating a lot of olive oil lately. This makes me really mad because it's like I suddenly feel like crap and I had been feeling so awesome for so long, it really sucks to feel like this.

Comment

Trader Joe's carries sardines packed in water, too, sbhikes. They taste pretty good--sardines have plenty of oil in them anyway! I eat 2-3 cans a week.
                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

it doesn't taste like good olive oil

Comment

Here's one thing I've found over time. Once a food/supplement/etc. becomes "the next great thing," someone out there will adulterate it to make a profit. I read a 2011 study and the two olive oils I remember being really what they stated they were on the label were Kirkland (Costco brand) and California Olive Growers. I'm sorry but I didn't save the link, so consider this purely hearsay.

Since we don't have Costco here and they don't sell their olive oil online, I've pretty much put olive oil in that category of "too much work to get the real thing," and avoid it completely. I like avocado oil for now, but as soon as it becomes mainstream, I'm sure I'll have to find an alternative for that also.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

It could be really crappy olive oil...kind of similar to conventionally raised vs grass-fed beef.

I also eat the TJ's sardines and they taste awesome. So another vote in that direction if you want an alternate source.
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Olive oil seems to be a dodgy claim a lot or processed foods that say olive oil like dressing or mayonnaise that say with olive oil actual contain a little behind canola or veg oil.
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Yeah, I'd stick to sardines and anchovies packed in water.

If you want the olive oil flavor with them, just add your own good stuff from a bottle.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

For sure I will avoid it. I was seeking convenience, not having to ride my bike with a container of olive oil in my panier. I can get farmer's market olive oil so that's what I will do and keep it at the office. I wonder how long to clear up the damage? My ankles and feet were popping last night.

Comment

After Mark's recent post on the cheating that goes on with olive oils, I had the same suspicion about the "EVOO" that tuna and sardines are allegedly packed in. Here in Chicago I found a California olive oil that is clearly the real thing--has that strong tangy-burn after taste and goes totally solid in the fridge--so I think I'll go with the suggestions here and get the fish in water and add my own oil.

As for the popping joints, that's interesting--I'd love to know if it clears up for you once you switch the oils. I had some joint pain a few weeks ago, but think it was indicative of a cold/virus coming on--after I kicked the cold the pain went away...but it was also right after I was on vacation, with some non-preferred food choices, oils especially.

Comment

Working...
                              X