RAW uncooked Veggies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAW uncooked Veggies

I stumbled on this Paleo very recently so maybe I've not read enough but to me it does not seem that Paleo promoters speak about a need to keep a 51% or more portion of uncooked raw veggies and fruit in the diet.

Did I miss it or is it not something that Plaoes' care about?

If they don't' care so much about it then I propose an off shoot to Paleo where it does.

We would just need a name for this fringe of the fringe movement. Any ideas on the name

No responses... Well then I purpose the movement title of Paleo Puolustaa

Comment

Most primal eaters here seem to feel their veg uptake is way up from when they ate SAD, certainly links to food pics show and abundance of plant based material. Although I don't most make a big deal of raw vs cooked.
      There are others here that say eating the WHOLE animal gets you all the nutrients you would ever need, just hard to do in this day and age.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by pluMmet View Post
        No responses... Well then I purpose the movement title of Paleo Puolustaa
        How is that relevant?
        Finnish?
        Paleo Defense?

Whatever... now, start a Journal, a Thread in Nutrition, and go start a Blog and garner a following for your new special 50% RAW version of Paleo (complete with research to back up the reasons why it's 'better' of course)... and make a Million bucks, or just $10.

Get to work quick... or someone will sprout up a site with a different name but the same basis tomorrow and you'll end up doing all that work for naught!
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Well, I try to have veggies with every meal. A lot of the time it's salad greens, which qualify as raw and uncooked. But I often have cooked veggies... it frees up the nutrients. I don't think there's any real NEED to eat uncooked veggies at all. But veggies in general, we do need.
          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Certain veggies taste better cooked along with some ground meat to soak up the juices, or sauted in coconut oil, or steamed with a pat of butter or some ghee on 'em. Others taste best in their raw state. Sometimes taste is the reason I would choose one method of consumption over the other.

Other times the consideration might be that certain benefits can only be obtained from a cooked veggie (lycopene in tomatoes as one example), or when consumed raw (certain nutrients degrade with heat).

This is why people should consume a good mix of uncooked vs. cooked veggies.

And to the people saying that oil or butter is necessary to promte the absorption of fat soluble nutrients, you can still eat the veggies raw. Just eat a good serving of fatty meat along with the veggies, or toss in an avacadoe or top with olive oil and bingo, the fats you need to get those nutrients. Even from raw veggies.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

If it tastes good raw, eat it raw. If not, cook it. Once you get into the whole, "Oh gosh, were 50% of my veggies raw today/this week/etc.?," you might as well go back to some pyramid. Okay, it's not that bad. Eat lots of plants, animals, and bugs. So simple, why complicate it?
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                If it tastes good raw, eat it raw. If not, cook it. Once you get into the whole, "Oh gosh, were 50% of my veggies raw today/this week/etc.?," you might as well go back to some pyramid. Okay, it's not that bad. Eat lots of plants, animals, and bugs. So simple, why complicate it?
                I agree.

And to hijack the thread, I think the bugs part is one of the quite overlooked recommendations that Mark and others make. Where are we supposed to get good bugs though? Seems that the bait shop would be a bad choice just based on the stench that comes from the cricket bin.

Comment

People are complicating things. Sigh. Just eat healthy and the micro details will take care of themselves. Honestly, people eat crap and survive on a CW diet. Just by doing paleo you are bring healthier than most. Don't let the tiny little pesky details and macronutrients complicate things. Food is for enjoying too, you shouldn't need a spreadsheet for your meals. Did grok calculate his daily folate intake and stuff. Hell to the no.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I agree with Drumroll.

My naturopathic doctor plans to start me on the primal/paleo diet next month. I've been doing some research on this lifestyle to see if it's something I'm even interested in doing. When I first started researching I thought "oh it's the raw food with meat on the side" lol. I have noticed a lack of veggie talk when it comes to this lifestyle. It seems like people only eat meat. I'm dealing with an illness, so I couldn't care less about losing weight. Which by the way I have lost weight by just changing my diet and focusing on being healthy. So, I will keep juicing and eating huge salads along with adding clean meats and healthy fats to my diet. Which I doubt is diffrent than how many primals really eat, it's just pics of bacon looks better lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaya76 View Post
                      I agree with Drumroll.

My naturopathic doctor plans to start me on the primal/paleo diet next month. I've been doing some research on this lifestyle to see if it's something I'm even interested in doing. When I first started researching I thought "oh it's the raw food with meat on the side" lol. I have noticed a lack of veggie talk when it comes to this lifestyle. It seems like people only eat meat. I'm dealing with an illness, so I couldn't care less about losing weight. Which by the way I have lost weight by just changing my diet and focusing on being healthy. So, I will keep juicing and eating huge salads along with adding clean meats and healthy fats to my diet. Which I doubt is diffrent than how many primals really eat, it's just pics of bacon looks better lol.
                      From a primal perspective on carbs, juicing may not be the optimal way to cobsune your veggies. You lose a lot of the nutrient content and increase carb content that way. I suppose it depends on what your goals are, especially in relation to carbs, but from my perspective, I'd just eat more veggies in their whole state, either cooked or raw. You'll get the same nutrient content and maybe even MORE that way.

But that's just my opinion on it. Don't take it as law. Glad you're going to be joining us in a healthier way of eating!
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                        From a primal perspective on carbs, juicing may not be the optimal way to cobsune your veggies. You lose a lot of the nutrient content and increase carb content that way. I suppose it depends on what your goals are, especially in relation to carbs, but from my perspective, I'd just eat more veggies in their whole state, either cooked or raw. You'll get the same nutrient content and maybe even MORE that way.

But that's just my opinion on it. Don't take it as law. Glad you're going to be joining us in a healthier way of eating!
                        The reason I like juicing is because it allows me to get in a ton of veggies quick. I am person who went most of my life avoiding veggies, so eating a ton is something I would have to work up to. I'm proud of myself that I can eat huge salads. I didn't know juicing you lose the nutrients, I thought it was actually better cause your body doesn't have to work to digest it. I'll have to research that and ask my naturopath.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post

This is counterintuitive to me. Could you explain? I get that juicing in a juicer gets rid of pulp, but primal doesn't advocate lots of fiber. And I get that juicing and green smoothies bypass chewing and so absorption of nutrients including carbs is faster, and so not necessarily good. But I don't get the decrease in nutrients overall.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            This is counterintuitive to me. Could you explain? I get that juicing in a juicer gets rid of pulp, but primal doesn't advocate lots of fiber. And I get that juicing and green smoothies bypass chewing and so absorption of nutrients including carbs is faster, and so not necessarily good. But I don't get the decrease in nutrients overall.
                            I have a Vitamix that breaks down fibers into digestible size and we throw nothing away. I tried to up my greens significantly at the beginning of summer by making green smoothies, with a bit of added fruit juice, carrot, and a banana. That ended badly, at least for me. I couldn't handle the increased fiber, and my intestines rebelled. After a month, we cut the smoothies out, but by then, combined with a bad water notice from the town, I came down with a bowel infection. An antibiotic was needed. Since then I've been relying more on fermented veggies, which are "cooked" only by bacteria, and have the benefits of raw veggies enhanced.

Comment

Juicing turns your carbs into accellular carbs.
                              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
                              X