Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food budget or...Skinless boneless chicken breast...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i can't find a chicken farm sufficiently close for pastured chickens, and i really cannot justify the expense of heritage, free-range birds at my farmer's market. (whose season is over now anyway.) we paid almost $30 for a bird that left 2 of us hungry after we demolished it. so, feh, on that.

pastured eggs we can get no problem.

i have access to a large number of various asian markets and get all sorts of oogly bits there for broth. chicken heads, feet and backs. duck heads and tongues. beef feet, shinbone, shank, oxtail, neckbone, tendon, etc.

as far as produce, most conventional farmers use systemic pesticides too -- not just spray. pick your poison.

i do buy lots of frozen spinach and artichoke hearts.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 10-11-2012, 06:06 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I get pastured chicken leg/thigh for $4.25 a lb, much less than conventional chicken breast. I buy pork roasts (pastured) at $6 a lb. Ground beef is $5.25 a lb as is ground pork. Have an egg meal or tuna meal one or two nights a week helps too.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Oh- the boneless, skinless chicken thighs at TJ's are really good. To be honest, I like them more than pastured chicken.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Try marinating chicken breast in herbs/chillies/lemon juice/olive oil over night, or other spices, to cram a little flavour into it. Personally, I go through a lot of lean chicken and pork a week - oh and eggs too, a good source of protein as is turkey breast.

Comment

I just started, but found out if I check the sell by date on the organic meat and go by the meat section the day before in the morning, often I find it marked 1/2 off. Got some lamb patties, drumsticks and boneless skinless chicken breasts all in the past two weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X