Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches on Primal?

Hi all,

Im in my 4th week of going primal and generally feeling pretty good. I have been eating very low carbs, lots of fat and some protein at every meal. I have had a persistent background headache since shortly after starting to eat this way. Today I am fasting (as I feel i am now mostly fat-adapted) and the headache is getting worse.

My first thought is that maybe I'm a bit too low carb? Maybe add some fruit back in.

What do you think?

Are you drinking enough water? Headaches can be caused by dehydration, even if you don't feel thirsty.
    http://www.cantneverdidanything.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
      Hi all,

Im in my 4th week of going primal and generally feeling pretty good. I have been eating very low carbs, lots of fat and some protein at every meal. I have had a persistent background headache since shortly after starting to eat this way. Today I am fasting (as I feel i am now mostly fat-adapted) and the headache is getting worse.

My first thought is that maybe I'm a bit too low carb? Maybe add some fruit back in.

What do you think?
      are u getting enough salt? Try drinking two cups of beef bouillon per day.
      ----------------------------------------
      F, 48, 5'10"
      Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
      Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

I wouldn't fast if you're getting headaches. What is your daily menu like, has it been a big shift in diet?

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions..

I don't know if I'm getting enough salt. I do add salt to my meals when I cook in the evening though. As for water, well maybe not, but I've drunk a lot today and no respite from the headache..

Fasting doesn't seem to be hurting, it's just upped my headache a notch. Im only a few hours from 24hrs now and I'll make sure I get plenty of salt and water!

General eating looks like this:
          • Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs, 50grams yogurt with almonds, flax seed, few cranberries, sometimes some bacon or ham
          • Lunch - Big salad, some fish of some kind or another, or chicken
          • Dinner - Some kind of red meat or chicken with broccoli and carrots and maybe peas
          • Snacks - very few. Sometimes almonds (im alergic to most other nuts) or more yogurt

My theory was that maybe Im just too low carb for me...

Comment

It still might be the low carb flu - when I switched to under 50g carbs a day, I was getting occasional headaches for about 4 weeks. Since then (itš been over 5 months now on around 50g a day plus 1 "cheat" meal of over 150g carbs a week), I haven't had a single headache. Can't really help about IF - I never do it intentionally, happens sometimes but I have never had a headache during a longer one. But I think if you still get headaches, you probably should postpone IFing.

Is there any particular reason you are keeping quite low carb? You could always try to experiment a little and add more primal carbs in. Or another possibility is trying to go 100% paleo for a while and see if it helps. May be it will ease the adjustment. It certainly helped in my case. You can always reintroduce the dairy after a while.

Comment

Well that does make sense. I'll give the IF a rest for a while longer for sure.

The reason im very low carb is I have found I have a fair bit of visceral fat to lose. I want the fastest sustainable way to get to a healthy body fat level and this looked like it...

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
                Well that does make sense. I'll give the IF a rest for a while longer for sure.

The reason im very low carb is I have found I have a fair bit of visceral fat to lose. I want the fastest sustainable way to get to a healthy body fat level and this looked like it...

thanks!
                Yes it's very possible that it could be from eating low carb. I know I get this way when I go lower than 100g a day. I also lift heavy and sprint and if I don't eat enough carbs I tend to get headaches. Sometimes it helps to do a food log and see how you feel that day and what you ate.

I normally cycle my carb intake. On my workout days I would eat above 100 g and if I don't work out that day I stay at about 100g or lower. This seems to just get rid of that headache. Too much salt also seems to aggravate it. For instance if I eat bacon in the morning I just cooked my eggs in the bacon fat but I don't add salt and I try to decrease my salt intake for the day. I also get less bloating this way.

IF is great for people if it doesn't make you feel ill. However I have never needed to IF to lose some body fat. I think you need to tune in everything else in your diet and exercise first. In my opinion IF should be a last resort if anything. I don't how much visceral fat you need to lose but manipulating your diet and exercise could be helpful.
                Last edited by cayla29s; 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X