Organic Frozen Berries: Yes or No?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Frozen Berries: Yes or No?

I was wondering if frozen berries were something that would be ideal to buy organic -- do frozen berries have less pesticides in general than fresh berries?

Either way, would you recommend spending my "organic food" budget on berries, or on something else like meat?
    Last edited by echoyjeff222; 10-07-2012, 09:10 PM.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Sounds like an ok option. Just beware that freezing can lower antioxidant count slightly in many foods, so fresh is still your best option.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I probably can't afford fresh berries ... so is it worth it to buy organic berries, or are conventional frozen berries not THAT bad (in terms of pesticides)

Comment

If they are organic they should not have pesticides.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

we buy conventional because it's less expensive than organic by 1/3.

but if you can afford to buy organic, it's fine.

awesome with coconut cream on top. and two chopped brazil nuts (selenium!).

Comment

@zoe, costco?

costco quality seems decent?

Comment

I get the frozen berries at costco, I am not the "Primal Power that be" though.
              "Go For Broke"
              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
              Small Kine-168/9%
              Now- 200/8%
              Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Depending on where the fresh of an item is being shipped from, frozen can be as good or even better than fresh. The reason being that the item is frozen so close to where it's picked/fished/etc. If you search the blog, Mark mentions frozen somewhere as something good.

Also, for practicality, if you're shopping for a small family, frozen won't spoil as quickly as fresh. I vote for frozen organic as a good thing.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I think the most important foods to buy clean are animal foods, pastured meat, poultry & eggs, wild-caught fish, raw dairy. For me, if broke, I'd rather buy more eggs and less of everything else than buy crappy animal foods.

For me, the exception is I'll buy crappy CAFO bones for broth, as I figure if the animal could stand, it has plenty of gelatin and minerals.

As far as making produce decisions, both strawberries and blueberries are part of the "dirty dozen", so if you can afford it, better to get organic, whereas if budget issues are a problem buying organic produce, better to stick to the "clean 15" more: EWG's 2012 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce

Comment

I'm in NZ. There is no costco here.

Comment

Originally posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
                      I probably can't afford fresh berries ... so is it worth it to buy organic berries, or are conventional frozen berries not THAT bad (in terms of pesticides)
                      3# bags of frozen organic mixed berries or wild blueberries are $10 at BJ's.

That is way cheaper than conventional fresh, unless in season. And they taste way better, too.

Comment

Mark said in one of his posts frozen berries are actually better than fresh because they are frozen straight after picking, which preserves the nutrients and antioxidants, while "fresh" berries can be up to a week old from picking to being sold at the store.

Comment

frozen is totally fine!

Comment

I would use organic strawberries because they are one of the fruits that is very heavily sprayed. That said I don't most of the time:~/

Comment

Originally posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
                              I was wondering if frozen berries were something that would be ideal to buy organic -- do frozen berries have less pesticides in general than fresh berries?

Either way, would you recommend spending my "organic food" budget on berries, or on something else like meat?
                              Frozen berries still have pesticide residue, but *some* apparently not always as much as fresh. So it is best to buy them organic. Freezing them will not make any pesticide residue inert. I say work to buy BOTH organic berries and grass fed beef. That is just me. Lower quality cuts of grass fed meat can be just fine. Seasonal organic berries cost less. Buy them when they are in season and freeze them yourself. Very easy. Very lightly wash, dry on paper towels until dry, put in single layer on cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen, transfer to freezer safe bags.

A little too late for this year, sadly. Berry season done.
                              sigpic
                              Age 48
                              Start date: 7-5-12
                              5'3"
                              121lbs
                              GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                              Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Working...
                              X