My cholesterol has gotten worst?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annlee View Post
    Peter Attia's series addresses this - but the section that addresses i directly the most is in here:

The straight dope on cholesterol
    So, from how I read, he's saying it's a matter of the oods being higher because the number of particles is higher? I might agree with that, but I still think the makeup of the particles (which is different for small, dense and large, bouyant) makes a difference. They're going to act differently.
    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
      So, from how I read, he's saying it's a matter of the oods being higher because the number of particles is higher? I might agree with that, but I still think the makeup of the particles (which is different for small, dense and large, bouyant) makes a difference. They're going to act differently.
      The two tend to be correlated, since obviously if your LDL is small, then you will need more particles to carry all of your cholesterol.

I think that there's still value in aiming for large LDL, which in practical terms means shooting for low trigs.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by acafer View Post
        Help,
        BEFORE: AFTER
        Cholesterol 159. 229
        Triglycerides 65. 57
        HDL 59. 67
        Cholesterol/HDL 2.69. 3.42
        LDL calculated 87. 151
        LDL/HDL 1.47. 2.25
        Total was bad before, not enough cholesterol to maintain steroidogenesis and vitamin D synthesis. Looks better now.

Triglycerides are down and HDL up, so that's good too - in fact, they're pretty much ideal.

Others have already explained how calculated LDL is a useless value; that's the only "bad" one in the bunch, but it's meaningless calculated.

I've HAD a heart attack, and my goal is triglycerides < 60, HDL > 60, total 200-240 (LDL irrelevant cause they always calculate it and don't do particle counts, so I ignore it entirely).

Comment

LDL particle counts? How do you ask for that when asking for a cholesterol panel (is the actual name of the test a particle count?)? I am going to get one run when I go in this winter for a physical this winter. The highest my total cholesterol has ever been is 150; lowest 103. Triglycerides <60. HDL on the HIGH end of the reference range and calculated LDL outside of the reference range LOW. A .8 ratio. But, if that means nothing I'd love to have a meaningful assessment.

This would be my first Primal panel. I'm so curious. I've been eating so much more meat/fat this summer and fall. Can't wait to hear what the MD has to say about my diet!
          sigpic
          Age 48
          Start date: 7-5-12
          5'3"
          121lbs
          GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
          Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Working...
          X