Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legumes, Grains and Complete Proteins

Hello everyone,

I have been on the Paleo diet for about 3 weeks and lost inches off my waist, and am loving the results.

But I came across the whole topic of hair loss with a low carb diet and I got pretty freightened. Thank good I have only been doing it for 3 or so weeks and I am fine so far..

Any type of sudden dieting can lead to it, but low carb does seem to increase your chances versus a low fat one, according to a study (20% vs 40%). Sometimes the hair grows back, and sometimes they don't.

At any rate, I just wanted to share that, for me, I don't think eleminating entire food groups dogmatically is a good thing. I do believe that it is better to use fat for fuel instead of carb, but staying constantly on fat-burning mode indefinitely?? I'm not so sure. Good thing Paleo does allow some carbs.

So for those starting a low carb diet, the common suggestion is to start off slowly, so you don't shock your system.

How to do it:

And my realization here was that if you want to bring in carbs (legumes and grains, etc), do so in combinations where they form complete proteins. This might be common knowledge but for me it was big.

Peanut butter and whole grain bread makes a complete protein combination as well as (brown) rice and beans.

So those are some things I'll eat at the middle of the day. Peanuts and pinto beans are just packed with nutrients and even better when they are assisted to become complete proteins. And those two factors, I think, will aid in turning down hunger.

Google complete proteins and you'll get a whole bunch of possibilites.

Anyway, thought it was a good way to come full circle for me.

Cheers

I'm not opposed to beans and rice, but bread and peanut butter is a toxic combination.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

It IS possible to be 100% Primal/Paleo and NOT Low Carb... and NEVER eat a legume or grain.

Just sayn...

There are all of these things called roots, and tubers. Fruits too... Amazing!
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

...and to continue Cori's thought, paleo/primal is not about being low carb as a rule.
        Decreasing carbs is an effective way to lose weight - IF you have any to lose, but it's not the rule.

I have eating fairly low carb for 8 months now, and haven't lost any hair.
        Female, age 51, 5' 9"
        SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
        2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

so if you don't want to eliminate "food" groups, what are you doing here? have fun!
          Last edited by WeldingHank; 10-06-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Post #1 and you think you know enough to advise us on the Primal Blueprint?
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by djtetsu View Post
              Any type of sudden dieting can lead to it, but low carb does seem to increase your chances versus a low fat one, according to a study (20% vs 40%). Sometimes the hair grows back, and sometimes they don't.
              Please link this study. Would love to see the scientific data.

Comment

Originally posted by djtetsu View Post
                At any rate, I just wanted to share that, for me, I don't think eleminating entire food groups dogmatically is a good thing.
                Explain what is dogmatic about eliminating grains and legumes based on available knowledge?

Comment

Anyhow nice to see you've come full circle in three weeks . You know I've heard after your hair falls out on low carb you then become immortal....so you probably shoulda just stuck with it a bit longer . That doesn't happen until week four though.

Comment

You want advise on how to properly combine legumes and grains? From this group? Fascinating.

Comment

To the OP how is what you are eating Primal?
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

To the OP:

You do know that the basis of paleo/primal is that some foods (such as grains and legumes) are newly introduced, have poisonous reactions within our bodies and cause multiple health problems, right? And that paleo/primal might be lower carb but that with eating all those fruits and veggies, and perhaps some sweet potatoes, you can get your diet to be fairly high in carbs if you want?

You do also realise that changing what you are doing based on a 'report' after only three weeks eating this way may be seen as foolish, right?

I'd suggest that you read gnolls excellent analysis of reported scientific testing at http://www.gnolls.org/2893/always-be...ally-tells-us/ and if you still think the report has any validity that you post a link to it here. (Yeah it's about a red meat article but it's relevant to most stuff you read)

In the meantime I'd strongly suggest you drop your grains and legumes because they aren't doing you any good at all, and perhaps spend a little more time learning about this way of eating (aka what we evolved eating) and looking skeptically at scientific report from both sides of the fence - and I don't mean summaries in the popular press.
                        Last edited by avelin; 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM. Reason: link
                        Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Comment

For some reason, and I'm not sure why, but this reminds me of Knifegill's :

"Well, I went to mount Olympus and duct taped two unicorns together to double their magic, and rode their magic bodies for forty days and forty nights. When I got off, I looked like this. It's great!"
                          Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                          SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                          2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

I'm going to add here that I know a lot of people don't believe that wheat and gluten cause REAL problems for a significant number of people... and no, I don't mean JUST Celiac.

Probably even a lot of people in the Paleo/Primal community don't really 100% know that this piece of information is true...
                            Hell, I was one of those people until very recently..
                            Until I realized that I was/AM one of those people!

My body was having serious, significant, autoimmune response to eating the foods that I have removed from my diet by eating Primal... read: grains and legumes.
                            And that is no joke.

Doubt if you like... it doesn't hurt me.
                            But eating wheat/gluten etc DOES.
                            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

do i smell a troll? My hair fell out after about 6 months on a low-fat-raw-vegan diet. No problem whatsoever since transitioning to primal.

Comment

Working...
                              X