EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

I have been dying to unleash this fat-busting trick on you guys, but I have been kind of holding back because it seems so impossible. It works. It works really well if you are a fat-adapted, fat-burning primal animal because you will go straight into burning your own fat!

Here's what you do to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a day for up to 14 days. Eat potatoes. The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper.

Edit 12/21/12:

They have taken to calling it the “Potato Reset” and it’s been especially popular around the holidays. We look at it as a way to “reset” your eating, weight, and relationship with food.

These are the rough guidelines we came up with for the best version of the Potato Reset:

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily, include cooked and cooled daily!
    3. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think ‘de-load week’ Lifting light things/walking OK.
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF’ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the “Potato Reset” diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.

Some suggested reasons this works so well:
    - Food Reward/Satiety
    - Calories Restriction
    - Resistant Starch/Butyrate/Gut Flora Connection
    - Insulin Sensitivity Regained
    - Ketosis from calorie restriction/butyrate forming short chain fatty acids
    Last edited by otzi; 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM.

I don't want to flame you, and this is an honest question - wouldn't the same thing happen if I only ate cabbage and fat for 10 days? I am guessing I would lose weight...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Can You Live Off Potatoes? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Comment

A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit, I don't quite get how miraculous this strategy could be in terms of muscle maintenance and repartition of weight loss.
        Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
        (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

Love this thread!!

This is day 4 of adding potatoes back in.

In the last 3 days, I have lost 2.9lbs. Might not be fat, but I was pretty clean before, so not much junk to get rid of, just fat. I just took my tape measure, and my waist is "almost" an inch down since 10/4. It hasnt moved since July 2, except when I had a bun on or about 7/24 and it went up 2" in bloat.

Now that was 3 days w/tators and other foods, but keeping my fat to about 35%. I thought I would be hungry today, but I pushed breakfast off until just now. (tator breakfast) I am going for an all tator day!

Love this!
          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
            A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit,

Not for me, my N=1 has shown me that not all calorie deficits are created equal.

I have had a very distinct pattern since January, and I feel this is what I need to be doing now. Not living on just tators, but adding them in, along with having days of just tators even, but for me, I find more success when I cut the fat. I think I will find that after I reach my goal, that my maintainence range will be about 60-65% fat. I just feel so much better having added some carbs back in. Night and day. But that is just me. Everyone is different and has different needs.
            Last edited by gopintos; 10-06-2012, 10:13 AM. Reason: cant spell

Comment

Even if it was the superdiet and worked wonders, sounds very, very boring... I would probably not last more than a day on this.

Comment

Originally posted by inesenite View Post
                Even if it was the superdiet and worked wonders, sounds very, very boring... I would probably not last more than a day on this.
                To me, it's the same as any other modified fast. I might not last more than a day either but even a day here and there is bound to help, at least help me. It's just a tator fast to me. Not a superdiet. Just another tool to help me accomplish my goal.

My health is overall in good shape. I just need to get rid of the fat and this is just one more tool, same as IFing here and there.

Comment

For why this work see the "sensory-specific satiety". It means is that no matter how much you like a food, the more you eat, the less you want any more of it.

One can probably lose quite a bit of weight by picking any single semi-reasonable whole food and eating only that single food for some period of time.

This (what I said) is hijacked mostly from J. Staton and you can read some about it here Why Do We Ever Stop Eating? Taste, Reward, and Hyperpalatability (Why Are We Hungry? Part VII) - GNOLLS.ORG

I would be wary of going so low on protein though while losing weight. You run the risk of losing a lot of lean mass rather than fat.
                  Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                    It's just a tator fast to me. .
                    I might should have called it a Tater Feast, not Tater Fast Sometimes you just get on a food kick. For me, it's Tater Time!

The hardest part of this for me, is trying to decide if I spell it tator or tater. I definitely pronounce it TatEr

Comment

Originally posted by otzi
                      You eat potatoes or rice for days on end, you will lose fat. Not water weight. Fat. Not muscle. Fat.
                      I'll wait for some proof. Everything that I have read indicates having a protein intake this low leads to sufficient loss of lean mass. Thats just the facts.

Comment

2 decades ago, I ate alot of taters. Sometimes along with other things, like fish or chicken, but alot of taters. I did not know anything about nutrition, nor cared to really. I was losing weight and settled into about 125lbs. I was lifting heavy, or so I think, for a girl anyways. I wasnt paying attention to anyone else, or reading anything so I dont know if I was lifting heavy or not actually but I could squat 300lbs and I was benching 100 though I didnt spend much time on bench pressing - squats were my fav. Then I became PG with child #4 and quit cold turkey.

I had wanted to try it again, eating taters that is, but I was afraid since I thought I should eat more fat and fewer carbs.

However My n=1 over the past 10 months, has shown me that for me to lose weight, I need to cut the fat.

It has gone something like this:

When I started to get serious with my journey in January 2012, I was eliminating bad foods, so by default cutting carbs and fats. I mostly only focused on keeping my fats under control - I was a product of the 80's & 90's dieting. (I didnt know about low carb, but I was naturally headed that way - at least significantly lower than I had been on SAD)

I was losing 10lbs per month at about 30-40% fat.

Then I started to research more - thought I could fine tune - learning about good fats, low carbs, etc.

So since Mid-March:
                        Then I went to 50-60% fat - losing 4-5lbs per month
                        Then I went to 60-70% fat - losing 3-4lbs per month
                        Then I read, you need to eat MORE fat so I went to 70%+ and just under 2lbs lost last month.
                        Even MORE fat at 75-80%, I gained but fasting took it back off.

Low Net Carbs the entire time. Some days 15 - 20, some days 50. Few 70 now and then but rare.

If that was your pattern, what would you do?

Well, I read Perfect Health Diet, one particular entry. He is normally on the fat train also - a Paleo Guy, but for weight loss, he suggests lower fat. So that is what I am doing. He also said to a poster that
                        Starches are better for weight loss than sugars, so they’re the best source of carbs. I think you should strive to eat a pound of safe starches per day, preferably as white potatoes and sweet potatoes rather than rice, but rice is very convenient.
                        And he also said to me that he
                        thinks that omega-6 minimization is key so reducing fat and adding some carbs can help with that too.
                        Adding potatoes back in was obvious to me. I only wish I had opened my eyes sooner, but everyone says more fat, give it time. I have given it 7 months, and while I am losing, - 20lbs in 7 months, I just was losing faster on lower fat. Still primal foods, no low/no fat frankenfood, and still within my calorie range, I just need to shift the macros.

All I can do is try it and if it doesnt work, or when it quits working, do something different.

This whole tater business was perfect timing for me. I just wish I would have done it sooner.
                        Last edited by gopintos; 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM.

Comment

However My n=1 over the past 10 months, has shown me that for me to lose weight, I need to cut the fat.
                          Yep, this is me as well. I was doing great when I first started primal, for about 4 months, until I started adding more fat, and then MOAR fat, and then... Embarrassingly, since Jan 2012, i've gained back 35 out of the 60 pounds that I have lost (pre-primal). I've only gone up from a size 8 to a 10 so it wasn't entirely noticeable, but no, it is not muscle.

I've been waiting for this thread since seeing the idea on Odds and Ends, otzi. Thanks.

The first 2-3 days of this for me went well, though I didn't weigh, I could feel it in my clothing. I had to cut it short due to social obligations, but I'll be back to it probably tomorrow or Monday!
                          Last edited by Nivanthe; 10-06-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                            I've been waiting for this thread since seeing the idea on Odds and Ends, otzi.
                            I've got to get out of the Nutrition Forum house more. I might have had my epithany sooner!

Comment

I've got to get out of the Nutrition Forum house more. I might have had my epithany sooner!
                              I usually remember when Nutrition isn't updating quick enough, and I want more stuff to read.

Comment

Working...
                              X