No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I totally joined this forum after reading for months, and just to try this hack. I have stalled spectacularly and all kinds of good eating are not budging my weight. So, I'm a 32 yo female, starting weight 145, we'll see where I end up and how long I last. Goal is to keep to this potatocopia for one week, weighing self every morning.

To start with I made two potato stews - one potatoes, garlic, cumin, turmeric, chiles. One adobo style - potatoes, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, cumin. All ingredients appear to be sanctioned, and I love stews since it's winter here. I'll weigh and take two containers to work and see how it goes.

Comment

• Mmm... easy on the soy sauce.

AC

Comment

• Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
        Still reading through this thread, but just want tommention that I hope you guys are eating organic potatoes!! Root vegetables are among the worst to buy non-organic. Farmer's admit they'd never eat their own non-organic grown potatoes!

"Root vegetables absorb herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides that wind up in soil. In the case of potatoes--the nation's most popular vegetable--they're treated with fungicides during the growing season, then sprayed with herbicides to kill off the fibrous vines before harvesting. After they're dug up, the potatoes are treated yet again to prevent them from sprouting."

Read more: 7 Foods You Should Never Eat | Fox News
        Good point!

Comment

• How come?

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
          Mmm... easy on the soy sauce.

AC
          Why easy on the soy sauce? Other than water retention? I used a tamari soy sauce, and it's my understanding that it's fermented, so decent for gut flora, and still fat free.

Comment

• Originally posted by tatiana131 View Post
            Why easy on the soy sauce? Other than water retention? I used a tamari soy sauce, and it's my understanding that it's fermented, so decent for gut flora, and still fat free.
            A lot of people are leery of soy in general. I think the good, fermented stuff is OK for periodic use.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrZZeroG View Post
              My Goodness...

as they'd say down south, "Y'all give Otzi a break."

There is actually MUCH more to this than the "potato diet." That just happens to be a fun food that seems to fly in the face of the "bad carb" crowd. Anyone that's read much of my stuff knows I don't believe in "protein, carb and fat - speak."

It's great to see the success repeated. I just wanted everyone to know that "otzi" didn't intend on stealing anything and in fact sent a link soon after posting here.

oh, and I'm not a vegan, paleo, or any other such label. Just a scientist with a mid-life crisis calorimeter and an incredible drive to hack and understand.

I hope to have a little more time to hang out in the future, but just wanted everyone to ease up a little. If you are concerned about me "not getting credit" for something, you can always fill out some data sheets - I love crunching through data and the best part of these "N of 1" experiments is that everyone is at least eating the same thing...

Thanks!

Ray

Hey, Ray - Thanks for dropping by. Can't wait to see your research! That must be cool to have an in-home calorimeter, I thought I was doing good buying a $20 glucose monitor...

Comment

• I was wondering how your folks take your decision to live for 2 weeks on potatoes? I am wondering if I can manage to cook all family meals and stuff and only eat potatoes, and not inspire anxiety in my husband?
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Why easy on the soy sauce?
                  Because soy is poisonous to humans and the sauce, which in theory is fermented so safer, is often loaded with MSG, which will make you hungrier than you were to start with.

There's also the fact that many brands are created through chemical processing that leaves all sorts of nasties, and then there's this:

Which types of soy sauce are dangerous? in The AnswerBank: News

Pure, organic fermented beans and salt? Should be OK. Chances are though that isn't all that's in your soy sauce...

AC

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    I was wondering how your folks take your decision to live for 2 weeks on potatoes? I am wondering if I can manage to cook all family meals and stuff and only eat potatoes, and not inspire anxiety in my husband?
                    Start with a tator appetizer while you are cooking, before you move onto your tator main course

It is harder when cooking for family, but I find it helpful to have stuff cooked in advance. All they have to do is warm it up. So a little preparation on my part.

Or I wait until they might be gone, like this week

And DH and I eat sort of differently anyways, so I just dont make a big deal about it and he never really notices until I point it out. There have been times I eat only meat, cuz I need the protein, or I dont eat something because I want to save my calories, etc. He just understands that part of my journey.

It is funny, he use to eat anything I put in front of him, never thought twice about it. And now that I am cooking healthier stuff, he questions it and wont eat it. Like bone broth. Or liver.
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Lookie what I found.

I know it is old, 2008, 2007 and something from 2002, but I was snooping around looking at carb/calorie cycling stuff and one click lead to another. And yes... I only scanned it but thought I would post.

The International Year of the Potato

The McDougall Newsletter - If I Could Be Your Doctor, I'd Love to Tell You How

The McDougall Newsletter
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                        Lookie what I found.

I know it is old, 2008, 2007 and something from 2002, but I was snooping around looking at carb/calorie cycling stuff and one click lead to another. And yes... I only scanned it but thought I would post.

The McDougall Newsletter
                        There is some good reading in those links if you can handle all the Veganese...for instance:

"For millennium, the five thousand potato varieties found worldwide have been consumed fresh (boiled or roasted) or reconstituted in stews from dried forms. Potatoes are outgrowths (enlargements) of the roots of the potato plant—called tubers. The primary purpose of the tuber is to store energy to keep the potato plant alive during the winter months and through droughts. Secondarily, these starch-rich, underground storage organs (USO) benefit us by providing a high energy, nutritionally complete food for people, during times of feast and famine."

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                          Lookie what I found.

The McDougall Newsletter
                          Interesting stuff

I agree about the veganese!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrZZeroG View Post
                            My Goodness...

as they'd say down south, "Y'all give Otzi a break."

There is actually MUCH more to this than the "potato diet." That just happens to be a fun food that seems to fly in the face of the "bad carb" crowd. Anyone that's read much of my stuff knows I don't believe in "protein, carb and fat - speak."

It's great to see the success repeated. I just wanted everyone to know that "otzi" didn't intend on stealing anything and in fact sent a link soon after posting here.

oh, and I'm not a vegan, paleo, or any other such label. Just a scientist with a mid-life crisis calorimeter and an incredible drive to hack and understand.

I hope to have a little more time to hang out in the future, but just wanted everyone to ease up a little. If you are concerned about me "not getting credit" for something, you can always fill out some data sheets - I love crunching through data and the best part of these "N of 1" experiments is that everyone is at least eating the same thing...

Thanks!

Ray
                            Hey man, didn't realise you were a member here, great to see you are. Your research is interesting. I found it a fascinating experiment.

And glad you dropped in here to clear things up. Got annoying when people were jumping in to attack Otzi, apparently for the hell of it.

Comment

• another 2 lb.

I think I will revert to primal this weekend. shame whilst I am losing but feels weird to go too long

Comment

• Two questions for those who have been on this potato feast:

Have you had gas? After three days, I thought the dog was under my chair...and he's been gone for months!

Those who have lost a good deal of weight, did you start with your weight in the obese range, or did you work off those last ten pounds?

Comment

Working...
                                X