No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I potato, large, 64 grams of carbs, 7 grams of protein, ie around more than 10% is protein. 0% fat. That's pretty high protein for a veggie.

Can you people not read? I wrote:

"There's 2 ways of looking at the potato thing, either the 'low-calories because you're easily stuffed on spuds' thing, or the 'low to zero fat and low protein' thing, because it's almost starch-only diet.

As food in general goes, very low protein. For a veggie that's pretty HIGH in protein. As Otzi pointed out this is also 'complete' protein, hence the general idea that you're not supposed to lose lean muscle on the tater-only 'fast'.

Personally I agree, just going low calorie will have pretty much the same effect. To me the big difference is that boiled spuds make it easier, as you get stuffed quicker. Fact is, if you're going to experiment with a potato-only diet it doesn't make much sense to go frying the things in fat.

Stop and think about it for a moment? What do we call the low-protein, low-fat high-carb diet?

"SAD". Standard American Diet.

Heck, it follows the infamous food pyramid - mostly carbs, some protein, bit of fat on top, right?

60% of overweight Americans can't be wrong huh?

Me, I'm going with the BBC Horizon thing, low calories for 2 days a week, rather than just potatoes. The only reason I bothered to speak out was because frying starch is such an obvious No-No in both the bodybuilding world and in paleo/primal circles.

An almost starch-only diet sounds horrific enough as it is but there's some method to the madness, in that you're 'fasting" in terms of protein and fat, while still getting some energy. There does seem to be at least some science behind it. Heck, it worked for me, in that I lost a few pounds in a few days and hence I'm still following the thread.

But frying them?

Sure, if you like chips go for it - but don't call it the "potato only diet" when you're adding fat to it. Just call it the low-calorie, low-fat diet, as recommended by... oh I dunno.. every mainstream media outlet going?

"BREAKING NEWS! Low Fat Low Calorie Diet Might Work!

Ya think?

As for calling me a Tator Nazi, for what? For stopping after 3 days because the protein was too low? For pointing out the whole idea of the thing, if we're going to go down this crazy path, is "potato only"?

As as for Porkchop taking things personally, for why?

Seems to me ya'lls need some bacon or something, and chill the F out.

AC

Sorry, "lambchop" not Porkchop. Regarding the protein thing, credit to whoever posted the link earlier but:-

http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...-off-potatoes/

"Protein is required in the diet to help strengthen your cells and power reactions involving enzymes. The Institute of Medicine suggests a protein intake of 46 g per day for the average female. Consuming 14 medium red potatoes would give you 2,000 calories and 56 g of protein, according to the USDA's National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Thus, as far as your protein requirement is concerned, you could live off potatoes."
    Last edited by AlanC; 11-04-2012, 09:00 AM. Reason: Added to the protein thing

Comment

• I don't even do the tator diet. I just thought your remark about lamb "may as well eat a bag of potato chips" was ludicrous. Then you state one thing on about protein then contradict it in your next comment. Its both "low protein" and "fairly high in protein"? Sorry that I was confused. Perhaps if you said "fairly high in protein compared to lettuce" it woulda made sense. IMO even 35g of protein a day...complete or not is too low, so we agree on that it seems. So if low calorie low fat works WHY would low calorie with a bit of fat NOT? Or maybe this diet IS actually magical. But you said it wasnt?

For those reading I was not disparaging the potato diet.

Comment

• Hey Tater Fans! Time for me to come clean. The mastermind behind the Potato Diet is Ray Cronise at Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn

It takes shape in the comments section of his latest 2 or 3 blogs. I invited him here to discuss it with us on this thread, but he said he would rather have you all go to his site and comment there. I don't think he was too happy that I gave all this away on Mark's Daily Apple. He will soon be publishing some peer-reviewed papers on the subject and is planning a big release. Sorry to have rained on his parade.

I think Ray has finally found a way to bridge the gap between vegan and paleo, and potatoes will play an integral role.

You guys can keep this thread going, but I have to bow out. If you visit Ray's site, you need to register, but it's free for now.

Good luck all!

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
          He will soon be publishing some peer-reviewed papers on the subject and is planning a big release. Sorry to have rained on his parade.
          Sweet.....looking forward to it!

Comment

• Neckhammer,

Any veggie that gives you your entire ("official") protein requirement all by itself has to be considered "fairly high in protein" but yeah, it's low protein by primal standards and it's low protein by bodybuilding standards.

And yep, it will probably still work with fat, IF you keep the calories low enough. But on that basis why not just go low calorie and be done with it?

Where the science appears to be going with all this seems to be that there's something significant about fasting, by virtually eliminating protein for short periods. Now there is still some protein in spuds so it's debatable if the effect comes directly from that or not. However as experiments go, we may as well just throw everything in the air and eat whatever we want, once you start adding fat into the mix as well. So we've got starchy carbs, fiber, protein and fat. About the only food group missing is alcohol?

"Oh, I tried the 'everything except alcohol diet' and it didn't work for me" - said every fat Muslim ever. Wait, what?

Seems to me though the biggest takeaway from this thread is that some people are letting themselves get stressed over other people's attempts at helping.

As avoiding stress is one of the 10 rules of a primal lifestyle, I'm out of this thread.

Have fun.

And some bacon.

AC

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanC View Post
              Have fun.

And some bacon.

AC
              Agreed....truce. Have a good one.

Comment

• Thanks Otzi for all the information. You may have rained on his parade on MDA but you've also directed traffic back to his site.

Comment

• Hey potato people, I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but if you are looking for an alternative, I discovered purple sweet potatoes at the farmer's market yesterday. They taste much starchier than regular sweet potatoes and a little less sweet. They are purple on the outside and purple and white on the inside and the purple stays purple after they are cooked. Really pretty. So you might consider that an interesting alternative.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    They are purple on the outside and purple and white on the inside and the purple stays purple after they are cooked. Really pretty. So you might consider that an interesting alternative.
                    Those sound purdy I was going to do sweet tators for a few days, but forgot. I think I forgot cuz I am on a good losing streak and happy for now.
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• And so the marketing blitz is now over?

Comment

• "fairly high in protein compared to lettuce"

It all depends how you compare.:-)

On a an equal calorie basis not so much
                        100 calories of romaine has 7.2g or protein, 100 calories of a lean porterhouse has 8g of protein. So not much more.
                        Brocolli has 11.1g of protein per 100 calories.

I'll let you figure out 100 calories of potatoes

Of course that 100 calories of Romaine is 20 oz and the porterhouse is 1 oz..
                        Try eating almost a pound and a 1/2 of romaine ;-)

Comment

• For whatever reason, my results so far are 6 lbs down for the week. I did add some leaves, nuts and berries yesterday just to see what would happen...nothing. Scale still dropped one more lb. Then back to potatoes. I've learned to enjoy them as primally as possible (given I'm a taste junkie..sigh) so sea salt, chives, ACV and freshly ground pepper are really tasty.

To stay fat-free, I topped one with some FAGE 0% Greek yogurt and chives and it was a good approximation of a regular baked potato at a steakhouse in my pre-LC days.

I'm going to finish up that pot of chicken veg soup today and then back to potatoes. I also never knew there were so many different types since I've been ignoring taters since 2007. It's been fun buying small quantities of new types of potatoes (Yukon Gold - yum) this past week.

Thanks again Otzi!

Comment

• All right. I'm in. I read the Thermogenex page... so thought I'd give this a try. I'd like to have a bit of a weight loss boost before the end of Nov for various reasons...
                            Breakfast was nice.

Comment

• The only thing I have to say about this is that this thread is completely about weight loss....versus this forum's purpose of trying to gain good health. I am disappointed in some of the people who have jumped on this wagon :\ Have fun yo-yoing....
                              Last edited by sakura_girl; 11-04-2012, 03:13 PM.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                                The only thing I have to say about this is that this thread is completely about weight loss....versus this forum's purpose of trying to gain good health. I am disappointed in some of the people who have jumped on this wagon :\ Have fun yo-yoing....
                                Well thank you for your concern but my health is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X