EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zanna View Post
    That's pretty much what I'm doing for flavoring. Add a little bone broth for moisture and roast in the oven. Add some apple cider vinegar and maybe mustard/ketchup. No sweet potatoes or other adjustments. I don't have to love it, just want to adhere to the discipline for the week and then get to eating delicious roasted meats dripping with fat. Though I'm thinking i will ease into it once the week is up and start with eggs, butter and bacon with some greens. Ha, all of my fantasies in the last day and a half have revolved around getting back to real PB eating - meat! Fat! I started some bone broth yesterday and had several roasted marrow bones - sadly had to put the scraped marrow into the jar I use for tallow. Will definitely be cooking with that next week.
    I forgot to add that after the first day I was having some uncomfortable gas. Someone posted that it might help to peel the potatoes. Apparently the peels were the problem. I found it easier to bake the potatoes, cool enough so I could handle them and then I was able to just pull the peels off with my fingers. Throughout the week I just microwaved the potatoes, I know oven baked are better tasting but I was intent on making everything very simple, accepting I was eating only potatoes for a week and getting on with it.

Comment

That's pretty much what I'm doing for flavoring. Add a little bone broth for moisture and roast in the oven. Add some apple cider vinegar and maybe mustard/ketchup. No sweet potatoes or other adjustments. I don't have to love it, just want to adhere to the discipline for the week and then get to eating delicious roasted meats dripping with fat. Though I'm thinking i will ease into it once the week is up and start with eggs, butter and bacon with some greens. Ha, all of my fantasies in the last day and a half have revolved around getting back to real PB eating - meat! Fat! I started some bone broth yesterday and had several roasted marrow bones - sadly had to put the scraped marrow into the jar I use for tallow. Will definitely be cooking with that next week.
      Not to single anyone out, you just happen to be the last post in this thread that demonstrates the point. This is one of my principal objections to all "hacks" relating to diet. These hacks are always short-term interventions intended to help one break through a plateau and then one reverts to previous eating patterns. That is to say, one reverts to the precise behaviour that resulted in the plateau, but with different expectations the second time around.

This simply cannot work. If it does, that would imply that a short term dietary intervention would result in long term metabolic changes. More specifically, if one were to become able to maintain the new lower weight on the same caloric intake and macro nutrient composition that previously maintained a higher bodyweight, that necessarily requires either a) a higher energy expenditure, or b) less efficient assimilation of nutrients. Irrespective of which is the case, it also requires that there is no compensatory change in appetite to induce you to eat more. And all of this would be brought about by eating only [fill in your favourite short term dietary intervention details here] for a few days.

I really wish metabolism worked this way ... it would make things much easier.

-PK
      Last edited by pklopp; 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM.
      My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
        That's great! Enjoy your trip--don't eat too much!
        Thanks. This will be our second vacation since going Primal. We have timeshares so are not at the mercy of restaurant food. We cook most meals in the condo. In February we went to Aruba a month after starting this way of eating, and except for a couple tropical drinks, we stayed completely Primal, so it can be done. Better still I lost two pounds that week which is a first for losing weight on vacation! I lost track of how many pounds of pork belly and Gouda cheese we ate that week so there was no calorie restriction going on.

Comment

• PK, I am not sure I follow your thinking. You're saying that it's impossible to keep the weight off that is lost via a short term diet hack? I don't think that's true. The metabolism may be stimulated somewhat plus the lower level of calories consumed produces the temporary accelerated weight loss. No? You go back to eating as before and you go back to your prior rate of weight loss (or maintenance) and go on with your life. I was losing 5 pounds a month before trying this. This hack gave me an accelerated rate of weight loss. Now I'll go back to my 1.25 pound a week or so loss.

Comment

• I think the key point with a hack like this is that it's far easier to maintain a new, lighter weight than it is to actually lose weight.

Given the choice between a month of slow and steady fat loss while continuously depriving myself or a couple of days of bland spuds before adopting a less starvey diet, I'll pick spuds. Basically it's just a shortcut.

AC

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss Understood View Post
              PK, I am not sure I follow your thinking. You're saying that it's impossible to keep the weight off that is lost via a short term diet hack? I don't think that's true. The metabolism may be stimulated somewhat plus the lower level of calories consumed produces the temporary accelerated weight loss. No? You go back to eating as before and you go back to your prior rate of weight loss (or maintenance) and go on with your life. I was losing 5 pounds a month before trying this. This hack gave me an accelerated rate of weight loss. Now I'll go back to my 1.25 pound a week or so loss.
              We are in complete agreement. You will revert to whatever the state of affairs was before your short term intervention. So, if you were weight stable and weighed X lbs. dropped down to Y via your intervention, but then reverted to your X weight eating and activity patterns, you would revert to X.

-PK

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                I think the key point with a hack like this is that it's far easier to maintain a new, lighter weight than it is to actually lose weight.
                Not without behavioral changes it isn't.

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                Given the choice between a month of slow and steady fat loss while continuously depriving myself or a couple of days of bland spuds before adopting a less starvey diet, I'll pick spuds. Basically it's just a shortcut.
                This is precisely my point. "Adopting a less starvey diet" implies higher caloric intake which without higher caloric expenditure will result in weight gain. You revert to your previous weight.

-PK

Comment

• I started a potato fast yesterday, in spite of some concerns about insulin resistance.

I can't say for certain if it's lack of fat (I suspect so) but the results from changing up my eating plan from high fat to almost nonfat has resulted in a loss of 4 lbs since Saturday.

I made a large pot of organic chicken vegetable soup and skimmed the fat. I ate that exclusively on Sunday along with my usual cup of coffee, but the coffee was with fat free creamer (yeah, not primal, I know. This is an experiment) Then yesterday I had coffee again with nonfat creamer and just potatoes.

I don't know if this will last, but if I can lose a pound a day doing anything without starving myself, I'm a happy camper.

I will add, for the sake of you who love flavor, that I experimented with ACV, Mrs Dash Lemon Pepper and regular Mrs Dash Garlic and Pepper seasoning. I also found some butter flavored salt that isn't just synthetic garbage. These seasonings plus my usual pink Himalayan sea salt made a huge difference. I'm really enjoying this.

I'll mention that after my third potato "snack" (I made a bunch of different types throughout the day and snacked on them as hunger returned) I noticed what I think of as a hypoglycemic feeling - slightly shaky and light headed - which promptly went away when I had a few more of the oven baked wedges with ACV and salt. Felt great the rest of the evening, and woke up NOT hungry this morning for the first time in months.

Comment

• No, read more closely, by a "less starvey diet" I mean it's easier to eat one's needed calories than it is to maintain a calorie deficit.

For example, using some figures out my ass, suppose you currently need 3000 cals to maintain and perhaps only 2000 to lose fat at an acceptable rate. Well only 2000 is tough when you're used to 3000 but if the hack gets you where you want to be in a few days, then it's much easier to maintain your new 'needed' level of 2500.

Obviously if you go back to 3000 you'll go back to your old weight.

2500 is easier than 2000. A few days on spuds is easier than a couple of months of 2000.

AC

Comment

• I think eating a strict potato diet for 5-14 days teaches us something about ourselves that makes it easier to keep the weight off.

If we were all perfectly operating humans, we would stay within a narrow band of weight. We'd gain a few pounds in the summer and lean out in winter. If we overeat, our bodies should ramp up the metabolism to burn those extra calories as heat. If we undereat, our bodies should burn fat first to protect lean muscle. But we're not all perfect humans, we wear warm clothes in the winter and crank up the heat so we don't get cold, there are no seasonal food shortages or availability issues, our days are whatever length we want thanks to TV, lights, and computers.

Beyond initially adopting a healthy lifestyle like Primal Blueprint, it is still hard to keep in that narrow band of weight we'd all love to be in. Most diets fail and turn into lifelong, unhealthy yo-yo'ing. I like to think that with this potato trick in my back pocket, I can keep myself in a band of weight that shouldn't fluctuate more than 5 or 6 pounds year round.

I did really good maintaining my weight at 170lbs for a year without the potato diet. I just couldn't lose the extra 10lbs I felt I was carrying. Now, I've been at 160 for several months after a couple experimental rounds of potatoes. I'm going to try to maintain this new weight for the next year, but if I see it creeping up to 165, I will throw in a week of spuds to get it were it should be. I don't think this is fadish or un-primal, I think it taps into something ancestral that every culture on earth experienced from time-to-time, a famine with nothing much to eat except starchy tubers. I personally think one could go way longer than 2 weeks, but 2 weeks gives pretty good results and I have an active lifestyle that doesn't really jive with eating potatoes for extended periods.

Anyway, great observations and results, looking forward to pklopp's experiment.
                      Later!
                      Last edited by otzi; 10-30-2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lowcarb4me View Post
                        I also found some butter flavored salt that isn't just synthetic garbage.
                        Could we have the name of the butter flavored salt please?

Comment

• PK,

I see what you are saying but I'm not concerned about 'reverting' back to bad habits that will put back on any weight I've lost. If straight calorie restriction helps move the needle, I'm happy with that. My eating habits are very healthy and I don't anticipate gaining back the weight I've lost. I've easily maintained where I am now without any calorie counting or restriction. I'm just shaking up the system a bit - I understand that I could have done that in. Any number of ways, but I think this is harmless for a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by pklopp View Post
                            These hacks are always short-term interventions intended to help one break through a plateau and then one reverts to previous eating patterns. That is to say, one reverts to the precise behaviour that resulted in the plateau, but with different expectations the second time around.
                            I get what you are trying to say. Same is true of fasting, IF, etc. You can fast and lose some weight, but if you go back to Big Macs and ho ho's, then yes you will put it back on.

I know that in my case, adding the starches is what I needed. And I have KEPT them in. I might do a day of tators and then I might do a day of including tators with other foods and I have done days of focusing on protein.

So I guess really, I did not revert back. This was helping me to transition into a new way. My old way that caused my slow progress was even higher fat with low carbs. I think I have since learned that those macros are more maintainence for me, and if I want to lose weight, I had to change my macros around to less fat, more protein and include more carbs like starch. It did not really seem to be about the calories. And it is working for now. I might have to mix it up again at some future point.

But I think for someone else who was maintaining before the hack but just wanted to lose a few pounds, I would think it is okay to hack, lose the weight and then return to their normal eating. Same as with fasting. Fast, drop a few pounds, then go back to maintaining. But maybe fasts don't work that way either.

But I also think that maybe some have learned that once in awhile, they might have to do a tator day or two, or do a fast day or two and that is just the way it is for them to keep their weight in check. That doesnt mean it doesnt work, it just means that is just the way it is.

And maybe that is oversimplified and wishful thinking. I often wonder what it will be like, what I will have to do in order to maintain my weight once I get there. I just know that I want to stay on top of it, and I figured that if I see things creeping up, then it is time to whip out one of these little tricks like tators or fasting.
                            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• I am nearing the end of day 2, I was up .5lbs this morning. And after reading through this entire thread, I feel like I am eating WAY more than anyone else! I come from a fairly low carb (less than 100g a day) strict paleo diet, and have been constantly hungry on just the taters. I ate 1800 grams yesterday and I am at 1300 grams so far today... will this subside? Or should I just keep eating to satiety and not worry about the numbers? At this rate I am probably eating the same amount calorically in taters as I normally do so will this even make me lose weight if I am not in a deficit?

Comment

PK,

I see what you are saying but I'm not concerned about 'reverting' back to bad habits that will put back on any weight I've lost. If straight calorie restriction helps move the needle, I'm happy with that. My eating habits are very healthy and I don't anticipate gaining back the weight I've lost. I've easily maintained where I am now without any calorie counting or restriction. I'm just shaking up the system a bit - I understand that I could have done that in. Any number of ways, but I think this is harmless for a week.
                                That's certainly reasonable. As I mentioned before, I wasn't speaking directly to you, I was just borrowing your phrasing to make a point.

-PK

Comment

Working...
                                X