EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by primalcar View Post
    So I have to share... I did the potato fast for a total of 6 days last week at lost a total of 3 pounds. However, I just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant so obviously I stopped the fast. What's funny is now I'm craving potatoes like crazy. I thought I would be sick of them by now, but I literally want them with every meal. I am looking forward to using this fast after I deliver this baby though. I loved it, felt great, and lost weight so easily! Good luck to all of you tater-heads!
    Congrats!

On the wanting them at every meal, I eat them most daily now. This really helped to show me that I can, and it is okay, I still lose weight. So it helps me to cook more normal for my family, meat & tators with some other veggies. My daughter was like... you cooked potatoes!! So they are happy as well
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by primalcar View Post
      So I have to share... I did the potato fast for a total of 6 days last week at lost a total of 3 pounds. However, I just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant so obviously I stopped the fast. What's funny is now I'm craving potatoes like crazy. I thought I would be sick of them by now, but I literally want them with every meal. I am looking forward to using this fast after I deliver this baby though. I loved it, felt great, and lost weight so easily! Good luck to all of you tater-heads!
      Congrats! Your sure it's not just a potato growing in there?

Comment

• I'm giving this a whirl for the week. We are supposed to get hit with Hurricane Sandy, so cooking a bunch of potatoes will make food planning a lot easier for me. It's been difficult to budge the scale lately, regardless of diet / exercise, so I'm hoping this will jump start things. In my experience, once I can move the scale, a bunch of weight will drop before the body stalls again. I'm hoping to drop about 5 lbs with this hack, then another 5-10 total. It would be cool if this is something I can do a couple of times to make progress. I usually lift weights twice a week - it will interesting to see if I feel up to it on Wednesday. I'll definitely be doing yoga, unless the gym is closed due to the storm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zanna View Post
          I'm giving this a whirl for the week. We are supposed to get hit with Hurricane Sandy, so cooking a bunch of potatoes will make food planning a lot easier for me. It's been difficult to budge the scale lately, regardless of diet / exercise, so I'm hoping this will jump start things. In my experience, once I can move the scale, a bunch of weight will drop before the body stalls again. I'm hoping to drop about 5 lbs with this hack, then another 5-10 total. It would be cool if this is something I can do a couple of times to make progress. I usually lift weights twice a week - it will interesting to see if I feel up to it on Wednesday. I'll definitely be doing yoga, unless the gym is closed due to the storm.
          I'm in the same boat as you Zana! I had already planned to start today but with the storm coming it made going to get hurricane supplies much easier! I had 3.5 cups of boiled taters with salt pepper and rosemary this morning and am feeling good. Keep us updated with your progress!

Comment

• Stay safe!! My nephew headed your way Saturday. He works for a power line company.
            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
              Stay safe!! My nephew headed your way Saturday. He works for a power line company.
              Your nephew is going to be very appreciated! And busy, if the predicted outages are accurate.

Comment

• Day 5. No weight loss today. Maybe I'm eating too little because I haven't been "regular." Three days later I finally got rid of some of my potato fiber, but it wasn't much. Sorry for the TMI. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue. I was fine the first couple days. I had planned to go 5-7 days and will be making today my last day. Tomorrow I am switching to lean meat and fish for two or three days and then will return to eating normally.

One good thing about this potato project is that at one time I was concerned that I might have a nightshade vegetable sensitivity. This has proved that I don't. My former joint pain and inflammation was apparently attributable to the grains, seed oils, sugar etc.

Comment

• I can't believe I read the whole thing! I always seems to zero in on the longest threads when I join a new forum.

I am almost convinced to try this. I'm severely metabolic resistant, my C-peptide is 4.2 and I gain weight even eating salads, steaks and juicing I'm a mess.

Any cautions (didn't see any so far) for those that are very insulin resistant?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lowcarb4me View Post
                    I can't believe I read the whole thing! I always seems to zero in on the longest threads when I join a new forum.

I am almost convinced to try this. I'm severely metabolic resistant, my C-peptide is 4.2 and I gain weight even eating salads, steaks and juicing I'm a mess.

Buy yourself a $20 glucose tester and 50 test strips. Check your fasting blood glucose and then every 30 minutes after eating a normal meal. Do this again when eating potatoes. If you see your level go to 180 and stay there for more than 30 minutes, you don't want to try the potato diet, you need to get to a doctor quickly and ask for a 2 or 4 hour glucose tolerance test.

Your blood sugar levels should fall to your fasting levels within 2 hours after eating, if they don't it indicates serious insulin resistance and diabetes/pre-diabetes.

Good luck!

Comment

• Got the glucometer but ran out of strips. I'll get more so I can be ready - and thanks so much!

Comment

• Question: I have a scoop of green vibrance everyday for vitamins and probiotics. Havent taken it yet today, do you think it would be okay to have during the fast? I would only mix it with water

Nutrition facts are here: Vibrant Health Green Vibrance Information : Vitabase

Comment

• Originally posted by Keeks333 View Post
                          Question: I have a scoop of green vibrance everyday for vitamins and probiotics. Havent taken it yet today, do you think it would be okay to have during the fast? I would only mix it with water

I take something similar every AM and have for years. Can't let go of it and am honestly not that concerned. I take this stuff called Green Superfood. It's awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keeks333 View Post
                            Question: I have a scoop of green vibrance everyday for vitamins and probiotics. Havent taken it yet today, do you think it would be okay to have during the fast? I would only mix it with water

I think it would be just fine.

Comment

• I started with the potatoe fast last week and lost an average of 1/2 lb per day for 6 days. Then had an interruption due to a close friend passing. Too much red wine, red meat, stress and traveling caused me to gain back the 3lbs i lost. So I started again Friday. I had read about cold potatoes having more resistant starch so I boiled 3 lbs, refrigerated and nibbled on them all day. They were so good I ate them all in one day, almost 1500 cals, and the next morning showed a gain of .4 lbs. So, I decided to limit myself to 2 meals a day of 10-13 oz, weighed raw. Then I showed a 1.7 lb loss yesterday and a 1 lb loss today! I too will continue to eat potatoes even after the fast! I also find it helps to take magnesium for BM. Happy tadder day!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lowcarb4me View Post
                                I can't believe I read the whole thing! I always seems to zero in on the longest threads when I join a new forum.

I'd stay away from the twinkie (potato) diet. You probably already know this. Check out Dr. Richard Bernstein's Total Diabetes Solution as well as The Diabetes Diet by the same author. Perhaps if you get a handle quickly you can retain some -if not restore- effective insulin production. The diet he recommends, himself a Type 1 diabetic for years, is not going to include potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                                X