No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't read through 60 pages of comments, forgive me if this has been addressed; is drinking ACV okay to do with this? Not on the potatoes, as a morning drink.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
      Also, why is it that you can eat unlimited vinegar? Doesn't it have simple sugars? I personally would not mind that; in fact, I could just drink vinegar straight without the potato for 14 days and not care. I imagine this would create havoc on my stomach though...
      This may come as a surprise, but vinegar is actually the shortest chain saturated fatty acid coming in at 2 carbons, and beating out formic acid, which although it contains no double bonds between carbons, it also consists of a single carbon "chain" therefore not fitting the definition of saturated fatty acid.

Regardless, carbon chains this short don't play much of a role in metabolism, the limit seems to be around 3 carbons ... things like ketone bodies, pyruvate, lactate, etc.

-PK
      My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

• Keeks333 and SophieScreams - Welcome! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how easy this is and how full you feel. I did take some measurements, but it's only been two days for me so I'll wait to report on the change.
        Gini

SW - 273 - 2002 pre gastric bypass (BPD-DS)
        SW - Aug. 2, 2011 - 178
        SW - Nov 1, 2011 - 168.5
        CW - 160
        GW - 157
        5' 6"
        50 something female

Day 3 potato feast - down 5 lbs

Comment

• I ended up making 24 mini muffin potato bites which were so good my kids stole a few I dipped in spicy mustard. But i salted the taters quite a bit so probably made a big impact on the water weight gain.

I also made some sweet potato "waffles" dry fried and mixed with cinnamon. YUM!!!! It was kind of like a cinnamon roll without the crap and sugar
          Recipes for both, please? I am doing a potato day tomorrow, and wouldn't mind something new.
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keeks333 View Post
            So excited to start this on Monday! I am currently paleo but going to try my hand in the tater fast in order to lose the last stubborn 5lbs. Has anyone been taking measurements as well to monitor fat loss or has everyone just been weighing in on the scale? I am so curious to sere how I will do on this as I am in ketosis right now.
            Actually I just thought to measure this morning. I measure every Monday so based on my recorded measurements then, I am down a half inch each on waist and abdomen and a quarter inch off each upper thigh.

Comment

• Mom, I've just always read that eating breakfast first thing in the morning and avoiding fasting will help heal adrenal/thyroid issues so your adrenal glands don't have to work overtime to provide brain glucose via gluconeogenesis. Also, supposedly, helps boost your temps by eating something right off the bat. This is what I've been reading on Whole 180 Health Source ? Or whatever that site is. ;-) I suuuspect I have adrenal/thyroid issues based on a lot of factors (getting a thermometer this weekend,) so I've been introducing more carbs, up to 100-150g net carbs a day. I feel SO much better already, my appetite is more controlled, I don't feel as spacey, and I get super pumped for my workouts again. Granted, I've been doing low-carb for a WHILE now, so it isn't the "low-carb flu". After eating just all potatoes for one day, I felt loads better. Since then, I've been doing lower fat (50-60g) and moderate carb/protein this week... A lot of tuna and eggs, sweet potatoes, brown bananas, yummy kefir, squash, carrots. I think it's totally possible for people to lose fat on a "higher" carb version of the paleo diet, given their activity levels/hormones.

Fascinating how much your temperatures can dictate how much weight you hold on to. I had no idea!
              On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

• Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
                I can't read through 60 pages of comments, forgive me if this has been addressed; is drinking ACV okay to do with this? Not on the potatoes, as a morning drink.
                ACV is fine in any form while doing the potato-feast! If you haven't tried it sprinkled on potatoes, it's wonderful! Drinking is fine, too.

Comment

• ACV? Apple cider vinegar?

Regarding the measurement thing, I'm going to be tracking with Biggly software; if my Biggly Body Index goes up, it's all good

AC

Comment

• Has anyone determined conclusively whether sweet potato can be substituted once in a while in place of true potatoes? I have one large one left in the fridge but don't want to mess up my results. It would seem like a huge variation from regular potato and a welcome break from the "potatony" of endless taters.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                      ACV? Apple cider vinegar?
                      yup
                      Originally posted by Miss Understood View Post
                      Has anyone determined conclusively whether sweet potato can be substituted once in a while in place of true potatoes? I have one large one left in the fridge but don't want to mess up my results. It would seem like a huge variation from regular potato and a welcome break from the "potatony" of endless taters.
                      I think if you ate 1 or 2 sweet potatoes during the time you are on mostly potatoes, it would be fine. No real science or experiences to back that up. I only know that just regular potatoes work for sure, but some rice and sweet potatoes shouldn't make a huge difference.

Comment

• So I have been skimming this... and here is my question. I did paleo/primal for 6 months, have been off for 2 months. I have just started back paleo, because I have noticed an increase in fat on my semi-SAD. Is this fast something you have to have been doing paleo for some time to get the best results from the fast?

Comment

• Originally posted by healthyphysique View Post
                          So I have been skimming this... and here is my question. I did paleo/primal for 6 months, have been off for 2 months. I have just started back paleo, because I have noticed an increase in fat on my semi-SAD. Is this fast something you have to have been doing paleo for some time to get the best results from the fast?
                          Definitely not! This works for the SADdest of eaters as well as vegans, paleos, and primals.

Comment

• Thanks Otzi, I just may try this to jump start, so I am not SAD tempted, then continue with the primal after 10 days of taters. Just to experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by healthyphysique View Post
                              Thanks Otzi, I just may try this to jump start, so I am not SAD tempted, then continue with the primal after 10 days of taters. Just to experiment.
                              That's the best attitude. If you find it totally miserable or you gain weight after 2 days--quit. Nothing lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                Recipes for both, please? I am doing a potato day tomorrow, and wouldn't mind something new.
                                All I did with the mini muffin potato bites was peel then grate 1 large russett potato. Then Line non-stick mini muffin cups with the grated potatos. I like them thin so they are crispier. I pressed lightly until they only filled about half of the cups and were tightly packed together. Then salt and peppered top. Baked for about 30 minutes on 375 degrees. I dipped in hot mustard but would be good with ketchup(if you like it. I hate it).

For the sweet potato "waffles" I peeled and grated 1 large sweet potato. Then put about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and mixed. Then I heated my non-stick waffle maker and cooked. My waffle maker tells me when they are cooked which probably took about 10 minutes each. So I got about 4 large "waffles" that were really crispy out of that one sweet potato. It was a little messier than your normal waffle would be to clean up but they were so yummy that I might have to create some with eggs and butter and other stuff later when I'm not on this tater feast. I ate these plain for now but I think they would be great with fruit or marscapone or something after the feast is over.
                                F/37yr/5' 5"
                                SW: 154 March 2011
                                CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
                                PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
                                With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
                                GW: 120
                                Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

Working...
                                X