No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is an interesting concept. If it is nutritionally sound and breaks a plateau or shakes things up, I am in.

And if it turns me off potatoes forever, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
      Thanks, bunches. This is exactly the kind of recipe/tip I'm looking for. After all, potatoes are potatoes and we don't have a lot of wiggle room on flavors or cooking. Bottom line, meals will still taste like potatoes but I've collected enough ways to prepare them that I'm sure I'll make it through the 10 days. Seeing a consistant weight loss really makes the trip easier. I got a mandolin for my birthday and haven't used it. Definitely not good with slicing things evenly with a knife. I'll give this a try today.
      Be very careful with that mandolin, first time I used mine I cut myself and had to get stitches in a fingertip. I wasn't even slicing when I did it. One of the slices was stuck between the blade and the body of the slicer and I cut myself trying to remove it.

Comment

• Today is day 1 of just potatoes. Weight yesterday was 177. Weight this morning was 175.5. Breakfast - cubed potatoes roasted last night with rosemary and then eaten this morning with ketchup...yes, I'll be eating a lot of ketchup for a while.

Not sure I can do 5 on 2 off...maybe 5 on and then 5 off. When I feel too deprived, I tend to binge. It will be better for me to have a longer time between potato fasts.
        Last edited by Periwinkle; 10-21-2012, 07:02 AM.
        It's just another day in paradise
        As you stumble to your bed
        You'd give anything to silence
        Those voices ringing in your head
        You thought you could find happiness
        Just over that green hill
        You thought you would be satisfied
        But you never will-
        Learn to be still
        -The Eagles

Comment

• Down another pound today! Total of 3.4 pounds in 3 days. I don't know if I can keep it up today as I have some social obligations. I'm going to try though and for sure pick it back up tomorrow. I feel great!

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
            Ok I've spent the past two days reading about this and I've decided I'm going to give it a try. I like Otzi's suggestion a page over about doing this in a 5 days on 2 days off pattern as I have a fair bit to lose.

So, I think that I will make an interesting case study on the ability of reduced palatability/food reward to lower the body's fat set point.
            Glad you are in...interesting find about the SI of potatoes. Yes, I think that has a lot to do with it, but I think there is more to the story. People keep telling me to stop talking science and keep talking results. I think the results are starting to pile up! I'm glad all you guys are trying this, I think some were just thinking I was BS'ing.

Originally posted by katemary View Post
            This is an interesting concept. If it is nutritionally sound and breaks a plateau or shakes things up, I am in.

And if it turns me off potatoes forever, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!
            Can't wait to see your results! The worst outcome is that it doesn't work and you hate potatoes.

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
            Be very careful with that mandolin, first time I used mine I cut myself and had to get stitches in a fingertip. I wasn't even slicing when I did it. One of the slices was stuck between the blade and the body of the slicer and I cut myself trying to remove it.
            I cut my fingertip, too. Didn't need stitches, but those things are sharp!

Originally posted by Periwinkle View Post
            Today is day 1 of just potatoes. Weight yesterday was 177. Weight this morning was 175.5. Breakfast - cubed potatoes roasted last night with rosemary and then eaten this morning with ketchup...yes, I'll be eating a lot of ketchup for a while.

Not sure I can do 5 on 2 off...maybe 5 on and then 5 off. When I feel too deprived, I tend to binge. It will be better for me to have a longer time between potato fasts.
            I found ketchup helpful, too. That primal ketchup recipe looked awesome. Have you tried salt and vinegar instead of ketchup--it's a nice change. I think 5 on 5 (or 14 even) off would be a good long-term plan as long as it's getting results.

Originally posted by primalcar View Post
            Down another pound today! Total of 3.4 pounds in 3 days. I don't know if I can keep it up today as I have some social obligations. I'm going to try though and for sure pick it back up tomorrow. I feel great!
            Be good...keep primal and you'll do fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
              I've not tried this recipe yet, but it's from the PB cookbook.

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
              1/3 cup cider vinegar
              1/3 cup water
              3 tbsp raw honey or pure maple syrup
              3 tbsp onion, minced
              2 cloves garlic, minced
              1 tsp sea salt
              1/8 tsp ground allspice
              1/8 tsp ground cloves
              1/8 tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a food processor or with a hand held blender until smooth. Add a bit of water it if too thick. Store in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator.

It sounds pretty decent. I might reduce the amount of honey/syrup.
              Looks delicious. You could probably leave the honey/syrup out completely when using it for the potato diet.

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                Another interesting article from WHS which may help to explain why it's possible to eat so little when sticking to potatoes only.

SI =satiety index
                Comparing the Fullness Factor with Existing Satiety Data
                After creating this formula, ND plotted its predicted values against the experimental data taken from Holt's 1995 study. Below is a graph that shows this comparison, and following the graph is some further discussion.

Read More Fullness Factor™ – NutritionData.com

Edit: Shoot, there is a nice graph at this link showing the SI of various foods. I couldn't cut and paste it so you'll have to click the link. Looky where the lowly tater is!
                Last edited by otzi; 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• I'm wondering if you just ate sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Better for your gut!
                  On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

• Originally posted by primal_jessjane View Post
                    I'm wondering if you just ate sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Better for your gut!
                    I'd love to see you try. Do a week of sweet potatoes, two weeks of normal, then a week of white potatoes. It may work as good or better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                      Thanks for the reminder. That might be part of the reason its not been used yet. I really am unskilled with a knife, even a good sharp one, which should make slicing evenly easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                        I'd love to see you try. Do a week of sweet potatoes, two weeks of normal, then a week of white potatoes. It may work as good or better.
                        This still just seems incredibly... wrong. ;-) I'm worried about my thyroid and adrenal glands and don't think going 5-7 days without a proper variety of foods and calories is going to be healthy for me. Plus, I need to get out and lift weights and play these days for my sanity. I can't do that on a 500-900 calorie meal plan of potatoes. ;-)
                        On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

• My losses are slower, but still losing and enjoying potatoes. Down .4 today for a total of 1.8 lbs in 3 days. But I don't have a lot to lose either, just trying to get rid of the muffin top and I'd like my arms to look thinner and defined.

Comment

• Couldn't wait until tomorrow to start this, so have just broken a 24 hour fast with approx 260 grammes of potatoes. I sliced them up and layered them with some onion and added a little vegetable stock, with a little salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. It was delicious, I cooked them slowly in the oven and then upped the heat for the last 20 minutes, the top was really crunchy and the middle all soft. Feel nice and full. My weight this morning was 128.4 lbs, haven't lost anything in the last 8 days (I weigh myself every morning). Really looking forward to the next couple of days. I have another portion of this left which will be dinner tomorrow evening and I am taking a baked potato or two to work with me. Might try the grated potato dry fried in the morning if I am hungry

Comment

• Hi all - I am in but one question: I am scheduled for cholesterol blood work in 2 weeks so if I start this tater diet now, will this skew my results? Should I just wait to start the taters program after the blood work? Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by jacksongirl1 View Post
                                Hi all - I am in but one question: I am scheduled for cholesterol blood work in 2 weeks so if I start this tater diet now, will this skew my results? Should I just wait to start the taters program after the blood work? Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks!
                                No idea, but if you're worried--wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X