Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by primalcar View Post
    Hi all,
    I am very interested in this thread and have started my own potato fast today. I weighed in at 178.6, I'm 5'7" and would ultimately like to be back at 150 ish (it's been 5 years and 1 baby). I was down to 170 a few months ago but I've slacked off a bunch lately and have been giving into very non-primal cravings. I'm hoping this potato thing can help get me back on track! I ate two pretty small potatoes this morning dry fried in salt and balsamic vinegar. Yum! I have two more small potatoes and 1 sweet potato with me to snack on until I get home tonight. I'm not too hungry at this point, so far so good!

careful, I dont think sweet potatoes are allowed! Just regular ones.

Comment

• Thanks for the head's up. I think I read back in the thread that they were ok, but maybe I'll skip it just in case.

Comment

Hi all,
        I ate two pretty small potatoes this morning dry fried in salt and balsamic vinegar. Yum!
        I'm starting day 3 today and I have lost almost 4 lbs. I wish you good success! A lot of it is attitude. I keep telling myself "it's only 7 or 10 days". Question about frying the small potatoes in salt and balsamic vinegar - were the potatoes pre-cooked or did you fry them from their raw state? Was the balsamic vinegar part of the moisture in the pan? I'm trying to keep alert for different ways to prepare the potatoes without wandering away from the "prime directive", only potatoes and some spices. This morning after I got to work I had a mashed potato patty made with skinned baked potatoes with spices and salt added and re-heated in the microwave. I didn't fry the patties first, just formed them and put them in the refrigerator until today. I used about 1 tsp of Reduced Sugar ketchup - Heinz makes it, on the top. Even that departure makes me a little nervous. I also plan on trying some beef broth, only a Tbl or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
          I'm starting day 3 today and I have lost almost 4 lbs. I wish you good success! A lot of it is attitude. I keep telling myself "it's only 7 or 10 days". Question about frying the small potatoes in salt and balsamic vinegar - were the potatoes pre-cooked or did you fry them from their raw state? Was the balsamic vinegar part of the moisture in the pan? I'm trying to keep alert for different ways to prepare the potatoes without wandering away from the "prime directive", only potatoes and some spices. This morning after I got to work I had a mashed potato patty made with skinned baked potatoes with spices and salt added and re-heated in the microwave. I didn't fry the patties first, just formed them and put them in the refrigerator until today. I used about 1 tsp of Reduced Sugar ketchup - Heinz makes it, on the top. Even that departure makes me a little nervous. I also plan on trying some beef broth, only a Tbl or so.
          Love your attitude. I see success for you! Try this: Slice some raw potatoes paper thin with a mandolin (or knife if your good), pile them thickly in a medium hot non-stick frying pan, cover and let cook for about 5 minutes before turning. When you flip them, they should all be stuck together and you can do it all at once. Cook the other side until well browned. If you get it right, the outsides will be crispy and brown and the insides well-cooked, but kind of gooey. Serve with salt and vinegar.

If you start flipping it too soon, it will stir up and not be quite right, you may need to experiment a little so as not to burn them, but these are awesome.

Comment

• 4 pounds is great! I hope it works that well for me! I pre-baked all of my potatoes so I just chopped it up and put it in the hot dry pan. I just sprinkled a few drops of balsamic as it was cooking and the potatoes soaked it right up. I guess I used it more as a seasoning than a moisture tool. It was really tasty, I'll probably be doing that again for dinner, but I may shred the potato first. I find that working with pre-cooked potatoes makes it a lot easier!

Comment

Thanks for the head's up. I think I read back in the thread that they were ok, but maybe I'll skip it just in case.
              I think 1 or 2 sweet potatoes during the week would be OK, same as a cup or two of rice, but stick mostly to potatoes and you'll see best success, it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                Love your attitude. I see success for you! Try this: Slice some raw potatoes paper thin with a mandolin (or knife if your good), pile them thickly in a medium hot non-stick frying pan, cover and let cook for about 5 minutes before turning. When you flip them, they should all be stuck together and you can do it all at once. Cook the other side until well browned. If you get it right, the outsides will be crispy and brown and the insides well-cooked, but kind of gooey. Serve with salt and vinegar.

If you start flipping it too soon, it will stir up and not be quite right, you may need to experiment a little so as not to burn them, but these are awesome.
                Thanks, bunches. This is exactly the kind of recipe/tip I'm looking for. After all, potatoes are potatoes and we don't have a lot of wiggle room on flavors or cooking. Bottom line, meals will still taste like potatoes but I've collected enough ways to prepare them that I'm sure I'll make it through the 10 days. Seeing a consistant weight loss really makes the trip easier. I got a mandolin for my birthday and haven't used it. Definitely not good with slicing things evenly with a knife. I'll give this a try today.

Comment

4 pounds is great! I hope it works that well for me! I pre-baked all of my potatoes so I just chopped it up and put it in the hot dry pan. I just sprinkled a few drops of balsamic as it was cooking and the potatoes soaked it right up. I guess I used it more as a seasoning than a moisture tool. It was really tasty, I'll probably be doing that again for dinner, but I may shred the potato first. I find that working with pre-cooked potatoes makes it a lot easier!
                  Exactly my problem, I've got to stop baking/microwaving only 2 potatoes at a time. I could do a bunch in the oven but we're still in the high 90's here and our a/c costs are big. Since I've been peeling the potatoes anyway, (someone said removing the skins should help if I have some gas problems, I did, the skins aren't that great tasting anyway when they have been microwaved) It seems that if I have baked potatoes in the fridge there's so many ways to use them.

Comment

• What about Worcestershire Sauce? About 1 TBL.

Comment

What about Worcestershire Sauce? About 1 TBL.
                      I think that would be fine. I'm sitting here eating my lunch; a big baked potato cut into small chunks and dipping in ketchup and mustard. Pretty tasty!

Comment

I think that would be fine. I'm sitting here eating my lunch; a big baked potato cut into small chunks and dipping in ketchup and mustard. Pretty tasty!
                        Has all the "mustard and Ketchup dripping" slowed down your weight loss?

Comment

Has all the "mustard and Ketchup dripping" slowed down your weight loss?
                          I think not. Keep in mind, I'm not using half a bottle--only a couple packets.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi
                            I don't think there is enough protein (amino acids) in this diet to provide for muscle rebuilding/repair as needed with heavy lifting. Plenty for normal cellular function, but when I tried to keep up with heavy lifting, ie. weighted squats, it left me feeling kind of famished. This is a mega-cut, don't most body builders go through a cutting phase where they lose fat and possibly some muscle just from the nature of any calorie restriction?

I'd love to see if someone could keep up a heavy lifting regime while losing 5lbs per week, but generally the two don't mix.
                            Well it is only two weeks. I'd probably go with a minimal routine ala HIT 1-2x/week strength training. So only 2-4 sessions throughout the process with plenty of rest days.

Comment

Exactly my problem, I've got to stop baking/microwaving only 2 potatoes at a time. I could do a bunch in the oven but we're still in the high 90's here and our a/c costs are big. Since I've been peeling the potatoes anyway, (someone said removing the skins should help if I have some gas problems, I did, the skins aren't that great tasting anyway when they have been microwaved) It seems that if I have baked potatoes in the fridge there's so many ways to use them.
                              I've heard that you can cook up a bunch of potatoes in the slow cooker. Just wrap them each in foil and turn it on...That might be a good solution for your hot weather. We were at 100 degrees yesterday too, but I turned the oven on anyway. I should probably use the slow cooker instead...

Comment

I think 1 or 2 sweet potatoes during the week would be OK, same as a cup or two of rice, but stick mostly to potatoes and you'll see best success, it seems.
                                Ok, good! I was too hungry at lunch to just eat the one tiny regular potato. I ended up eating half of a good sized sweet potato too. I'm really full now, like a little too full. I think I will just limit myself to regular potatoes for the remainder of the days.

Comment

Working...
                                X