EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have heard that a lot of those really super strong people are big because it's a lot easier to focus on eating lots to build big muscles than it is to try to build big muscles without getting fat at the same time because if your goal is simply strength and you don't care about appearance, you don't want to sabotage your goal with any kind of calorie restriction.
    Oh yeah, way easier to get huge muscles and get a little fat than to get huge muscles and be ripped/lean. I could get ridiculously strong very fast, being an easy gainer, if I just ate a couple thousand calories of ice cream on top of my normal diet and lifted 4x a week. But I would get quite fat too--and I have enough trouble getting and staying lean as it is, so I don't.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by bdilla View Post
      also, what's the deal with using seasonings and such? I have Tony Chachare's creole seasoning and I put it on basically everything.
      Seasonings are fine. I use Lawry's Seasoned Salt w/no MSG. Can't wait to see your results, I predict you will do very good, you seem to have good control of your food intake.

Comment

• Just started the potato feast yesterday. This is how it has gone so far.

My temps before the feast have been consistently staying around 97.8 to 98.2 upon rising. I eat one meal per day at about 1200 to 1400 calories normally (since July). I have not lost any weight for about 4 weeks now. I typically fluctuate between 130 lbs and 133 lbs.

*Sunday before feast - 132.2 9:00 am/ temp 97.9 (Did Bikram yoga for the first time in over a year so I believe I have some serious swelling)
        *Monday 1st day of potato feast - 135 lbs 6:00 am/ temp 97.7 (walked slowly for about 30-45 minutes)
        *Tuesday 2nd day of potato feast - 134.4 lbs 6:00 am/ temp 98.0 (I am really swollen and sore from Bikram still but going to go again tonight)
        I have to say I felt fine other than the sore joints and muscles from yoga. I was not loving the potatos though. It was REALLY hard for me to choke them down.
        I dry fried about 1 lb of skinned russets and put salt and a little hot sauce on them. They were mildly enjoyable for about the first half of the plate then I felt really naseous and found myself making the face my kids make when they are forced to eat peas:P While I was eating the fried potatos I boiled 1.5 lbs of small white ones. Then added mustard, salt, and pepper. It kind of reminded me of a potato salad. I struggled to eat about half of them and decided to save the rest for later. I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat any more potatos but was still only at about 600 calories for the day. So I ate half of a banana (I know too much fructose) and about 10 macadamia nuts (I know too much fat but I was worried I was too low in calories). I also couldn't give up the half n half in my coffee. So I probably had about 3-4 tblsp of half and half. After entering all of my calories into paleo tracker I only was able to hit about 900 calories. Too low for my comfort level but I was done eating and couldn't even think about putting another potato near my mouth. I really want to try the potato feast for at least 3 to 5 days but am finding that since I am not a huge fan of them in the first place it may become increasingly more difficult. I will see how today and tomorrow goes at the very least. I may try to give up on the half and half tomorrow if I still am not losing. Hope everyone else is doing well
        F/37yr/5' 5"
        SW: 154 March 2011
        CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
        PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
        With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
        GW: 120
        Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

• Hello All,
          I have been doing this since last Thursday (5 days now). Loved the potatoes at first, now I'm having a hard time stomaching them. I'm just craving some steak or eggs or cheese. But I haven't indulged yet.
          I've been working out with my normal routines. Twice a week lifting, once a week sprinting on the bike, walking every other day. I just stepped on the scale today, and I have not lost any weight. I feel leaner, and my clothes feel a little looser, but no measurable weight loss yet. My clothes could fit better because I'm eating less and this my stomach has shrunk. But I don't know.
          Any ideas? Or tips? I hope to continue to Saturday for a total of 10 days.
          Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Otzi,
            I know that you have advacated not eating anything else but I have a really hard time eating carbs in general (except fruit). I hate rice even more than potatoes so that would probably make it worse. I think if I can just find a better way to cook the potatoes then I will be fine. I am going to try mashing and pouring broth over them as well as some sort of potatoe brothy soup. I just can't see how I'm going to get enough calories if I don't add something else in when I dislike potatoes so much.

Sadly the only carbs I have ever enjoyed (prior to becoming Gluten free)are bread and wheat products so obviously those are out. Not only am I gluten intolerant but they are also not primal.

I get what your saying about adding fat and it causing the whole process to slow down etc.... Interestingly I have no gallbladder so I don't know what that does to the whole bile release deal. I believe I've read that when your gallbladder is removed your liver is constantly letting bile go through your intestines but that sometimes your body will make a "fake" gallbladder to hold onto the bile until fat is ingested. I don't know though. I think I ate the nuts more out of despiratioin than anything else. As I was still ravenous but naseous from so many potatoes. So, we'll see what happens today. Thanks for the helpful info.
            F/37yr/5' 5"
            SW: 154 March 2011
            CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
            PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
            With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
            GW: 120
            Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

• I started this last night. I forgot to take the bottom blade out of my food processor so I ended up with potato mush. Covered it with about a tbsp of ketchup to make up for the weirdness of it. Didn't cook it to well. :P

Tonight I will do better, going to slice it into "chips" and crisp the up in the oven with spices. Ate fried potato with a little ketchup again for breakfast.

This is weird. It does make me feel REALLY full though. o.o
              yay!

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Bobcat View Post
                Hello All,
                I have been doing this since last Thursday (5 days now). Loved the potatoes at first, now I'm having a hard time stomaching them. I'm just craving some steak or eggs or cheese. But I haven't indulged yet.
                I've been working out with my normal routines. Twice a week lifting, once a week sprinting on the bike, walking every other day. I just stepped on the scale today, and I have not lost any weight. I feel leaner, and my clothes feel a little looser, but no measurable weight loss yet. My clothes could fit better because I'm eating less and this my stomach has shrunk. But I don't know.
                Any ideas? Or tips? I hope to continue to Saturday for a total of 10 days.
                Thanks in advance.
                I'd keep going. Just eat to your hunger and not a calorie number. Make sure you weigh the same time and place everyday. Maybe give up the lifting and sprinting until the 10 days is up.

Comment

• Originally posted by mom5booklover View Post
                  Otzi,
                  I know that you have advacated not eating anything else but I have a really hard time eating carbs in general (except fruit). I hate rice even more than potatoes so that would probably make it worse. I think if I can just find a better way to cook the potatoes then I will be fine. I am going to try mashing and pouring broth over them as well as some sort of potatoe brothy soup. I just can't see how I'm going to get enough calories if I don't add something else in when I dislike potatoes so much.

Sadly the only carbs I have ever enjoyed (prior to becoming Gluten free)are bread and wheat products so obviously those are out. Not only am I gluten intolerant but they are also not primal.

I get what your saying about adding fat and it causing the whole process to slow down etc.... Interestingly I have no gallbladder so I don't know what that does to the whole bile release deal. I believe I've read that when your gallbladder is removed your liver is constantly letting bile go through your intestines but that sometimes your body will make a "fake" gallbladder to hold onto the bile until fat is ingested. I don't know though. I think I ate the nuts more out of despiratioin than anything else. As I was still ravenous but naseous from so many potatoes. So, we'll see what happens today. Thanks for the helpful info.
                  I try to pretend like I do, but sadly I don't have all the answers...lol. If potatoes make you feel ill, potato diet maybe not for you. Also, with no gallbladder and thyroid/adrenal issues you maybe need more special handling than others.
                  Good luck, let us know whay happens!

Comment

• Ok, I am jumping back on the tator wagon tomorrow. I am not sure for how long. We have company coming in tomorrow through the weekend, so it might not be the best timing, but will try anyways They eat pretty healthy, so I won't be fixing anything that tempting, just the whole explanation & science behind it - I get it when I read it, but to try to explain it to someone else off the top of my head....

But they are receptive though. It is my step son and I heard him on the speaker the other day that he had read the stuff I sent him and they have been eating more paleo now and feeling good. He is training for an Iron Man.
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Ok, read the first 7 pages and jumped.

If..IF, potatoes and rice are "about" the same, can a person not eat both to break up the boredom?
                      55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                      Chest; 41.5
                      Waist; 42
                      Hips; 40
                      Thigh; 22.5
                      Calf; 15
                      Bicep: 13
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                      Chest; 42
                      Waist; 42.5
                      Hips; 39
                      Thigh; 23
                      Calf; 15
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 16

Comment

• Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
                        Ok, read the first 7 pages and jumped.

If..IF, potatoes and rice are "about" the same, can a person not eat both to break up the boredom?
                        Yes, but rice is way easier to overeat, negating the calorie restriction posed by the potatoes. I tried rice and found I could easily eat 1500-2000 calories of it in a day, but with potatoes I'm lucky to hit 1200kcal. I usually cook up a batch of rice to keep on hand in case I get the munchies and there are no potatoes ready to eat when I'm doing the potato thang.

edit to add: I just got your user name...good one!

Comment

• So, I'm finishing day one of the potato feast. So far I've eaten about... 2 potatoes and I'm satisfied. I'm going to finish this third one in a few hours, but what the hell? I'm gonna be at less than 500 calories for the day.
                          this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

• Also: I am craving beer so badly. Can I combine beer with my potato feast? XD
                            this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

• ok, what is n=1?
                              55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                              Chest; 41.5
                              Waist; 42
                              Hips; 40
                              Thigh; 22.5
                              Calf; 15
                              Forearm; 11.5
                              Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                              Chest; 42
                              Waist; 42.5
                              Hips; 39
                              Thigh; 23
                              Calf; 15
                              Forearm; 11.5
                              Neck; 16

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                                edit to add: I just got your user name...good one!
                                Thanks......ez2cy I've been married 4 times......ez2cy why I'm and idiot.....I could do this all nite...LOL
                                55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                                Chest; 41.5
                                Waist; 42
                                Hips; 40
                                Thigh; 22.5
                                Calf; 15
                                Forearm; 11.5
                                Neck; 17

07/20/2013