EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
    It's hard to say. I take D3 10,000iu/day. Maybe try first 3 or 4 days w/o the gelatin then add it in.
    Good thought. I did look gelatin up and there's 9g of protein and 1g of carb in 1Tbl. You are saying that it's ok to continue taking the Vitamin D3 in the soybean oil caps? Right?

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi
      If you have fat to lose, you will lose it first as long as you are getting the proper essential amino acids--potatoes provide them.

Last time I did this, I did not lose any strength as measured by lifting and running capability. If you ate potatoes for months on end you would probably see detriments to health, but not 2 weeks.
      Strength / lifting ability is entirely the result of functional motor unit recruitment, or in other words, a neurological adaptation. It is impossible for one to recruit all functional motor units at once. At best you can get a fraction, and this is a good thing because it prevents your muscles from snapping your bones, tearing tendons out of the origin / insertions, as well as giving you stand-by motor units to recruit as the principal ones fatigue. So, if your lifts / strength are unaffected, all that shows it that you haven't suffered in the functional motor unit recruitment department.

Note that you may have actually gotten weaker, even though you were able to lift the same nominal weight. You would need to attempt to quantify your perceived effort while doing this. There are various scales out there that can be used to do this.

-PK
      My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by brookesam View Post
        My workouts consist of intervals/sprints on the treadmill and also lifting heavy weights 2x a week. Do you think it's ok to keep the intensity up on my workouts?

I'm thinking of trying this soon to give my thyroid a push wih the carbs.
        Working out makes you a glucose sponge. I would expect you to be able to up your intensity using potatoes as the principal dietary component.

-PK

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          So why would you go down after one day of potatoes but up 4-5lbs after one day of a carb refeed?

If this is as effective as a weekly fast, could you just do a weekly potato fast?
          If one is following a low carbohydrate diet, then muscle and liver glycogen will be quite low. Eating carbohydrates during a "refeed" would then cause the muscles to load up on glycogen and 3 grams of additional water per gram of glycogen to keep it all in solution. If, on the other hand, you were eating a moderate amount of carbohydrates, such that overall your muscles were not glycogen depleted, you would not expect dramatic changes in weight due to increasing your carb intake.

A general rule of thumb is that whenever your weight fluctuates significantly, several pounds during the course of a single day, it is most likely water or undigested food, especially if you eat a lot of fibrous vegetables.

As far as the effectiveness of this approach, let's crunch the numbers: my BMR is about 2000 calories / day. In order to ingest that many calories eating only potatoes, according the USDA nutrient database, I would need to eat about 5 lbs. of baked potatoes. This is an onerous amount, and I would be hard pressed to eat half of that in one day. Assuming that I could eat 2-3 lbs. of baked potatoes each and every day, that means that the "potato fast" translates into a severe calorie restricted diet, where I would be eating 1000 calories below my sedentary, just breathing, heart pumping, never mind actually moving about, basal metabolic rate requirement of 2000 calories.

If you can't lose weight over a two week period eating half of your BMR caloric requirement, irrespective of whatever it is that you are eating, potatoes, pork rinds, straight lard, then you are most assuredly sleep eating, because that is the only possible rational explanation.

-PK

Comment

• Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
            I would rather do Lyle's RFL (PSMF) before doing this. Much less restrictive... any single food diet is kind of torture for more than 5 days... Lyle's approach was doable for 11.
            Really?

I did Lyle's protocol back in 2008, and for my 5'3 125lbs, I got to eat about 555 calories a day of shit lean protein
            and zero fat.

At the end of my 14 days I was bleeding out of my eyes and brains were seeping out of my ears.

Okay, not really - but certainly not EASIER than eating potatoes every day to satiety, for 14 days.

Lyle's certainly did work, but it fucking sucked ASS.

Comment

• Originally posted by pklopp View Post
              Strength / lifting ability is entirely the result of functional motor unit recruitment, or in other words, a neurological adaptation. It is impossible for one to recruit all functional motor units at once. At best you can get a fraction, and this is a good thing because it prevents your muscles from snapping your bones, tearing tendons out of the origin / insertions, as well as giving you stand-by motor units to recruit as the principal ones fatigue. So, if your lifts / strength are unaffected, all that shows it that you haven't suffered in the functional motor unit recruitment department.

Note that you may have actually gotten weaker, even though you were able to lift the same nominal weight. You would need to attempt to quantify your perceived effort while doing this. There are various scales out there that can be used to do this.

-PK
              Very interesting point. I love your blog

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                I think the tweeks (tweaks?) will make it interesting. I've decided to make my own veggie broth instead of buying it. While "straight up potatoes" is probably more effective than any tweeks, I'm guessing this will still work as long as no fat or protein are added. This is why things like cabbage soup, leek soup, and grapefruits have been used to crash off weight. Here, Otzi proposes potatoes because it has a decent nutritional profile. I wouldn't use any bone broth I have because there would by definition be too much protein and/or fat.

Anyway, I still have to go to the grocery store. I haven't a potato in the house and usually buy one medium russet when I'm in the mood. I couldn't even guess the last time I bought quantity.
                I used a beef bouillon ---no fat but made the taters palatable.

/lu
                ----------------------------------------
                F, 48, 5'10"
                Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

If one is following a low carbohydrate diet, then muscle and liver glycogen will be quite low. Eating carbohydrates during a "refeed" would then cause the muscles to load up on glycogen and 3 grams of additional water per gram of glycogen to keep it all in solution. If, on the other hand, you were eating a moderate amount of carbohydrates, such that overall your muscles were not glycogen depleted, you would not expect dramatic changes in weight due to increasing your carb intake.

A general rule of thumb is that whenever your weight fluctuates significantly, several pounds during the course of a single day, it is most likely water or undigested food, especially if you eat a lot of fibrous vegetables.

As far as the effectiveness of this approach, let's crunch the numbers: my BMR is about 2000 calories / day. In order to ingest that many calories eating only potatoes, according the USDA nutrient database, I would need to eat about 5 lbs. of baked potatoes. This is an onerous amount, and I would be hard pressed to eat half of that in one day. Assuming that I could eat 2-3 lbs. of baked potatoes each and every day, that means that the "potato fast" translates into a severe calorie restricted diet, where I would be eating 1000 calories below my sedentary, just breathing, heart pumping, never mind actually moving about, basal metabolic rate requirement of 2000 calories.

If you can't lose weight over a two week period eating half of your BMR caloric requirement, irrespective of whatever it is that you are eating, potatoes, pork rinds, straight lard, then you are most assuredly sleep eating, because that is the only possible rational explanation.

-PK
                  Does everybody who does carb refeeds do low carb? Or don't they just do more carbs after a workout than normal? I mean, Chaco does carb refeeds but I don't think he's particularly low carb on a normal basis. That's what I was wondering. Why can you expect a carb refeed to add glycogen weight after one day but people here doing this potato fast thing are noticing weight loss on day 1. Is everybody here doing the potato fast coming from a higher carb version of primal?
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• I am a little over two weeks into my Whole 30, and I am making a jump-cut to the potato fast tomorrow morning. I just went out and bought two 15lb bags of potatoes and some hot sauce. I will make a before/after thread with my results pics. Stay tuned!
                    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Does everybody who does carb refeeds do low carb? Or don't they just do more carbs after a workout than normal? I mean, Chaco does carb refeeds but I don't think he's particularly low carb on a normal basis. That's what I was wondering. Why can you expect a carb refeed to add glycogen weight after one day but people here doing this potato fast thing are noticing weight loss on day 1. Is everybody here doing the potato fast coming from a higher carb version of primal?
                      I'm normally around 50g of carbs. If I do refeeds with carbs around 200-300g, protein at 100g, and fat under 50g, I will gain 5-7lbs overnight. With just potatoes, around 300g carbs, I lose right away. When I did carb refeeds, there was little to no calorie restriction, possibly was even eating more.

Comment

• I would rather just use intermittent fasting to drop the fat. It is really effective and if you are in fat burn mode then fasting is really easy. I couldn't eat that much potato without butter and lots of salt.
                        Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
                        Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

Comment

Here are some tips to make it more bearable. Have some carrots or bell peppers on hand, if you run out of potatoes and just have to munch something, munch some of those. Only in emergency! Also helps to cook up some rice for the day you want to quit, but know you shouldn't. Eat some rice for a change, but it's easier to overeat rice than potatoes. Also, bake up 6 or 8 potatoes at a time, use these for lunch and breakfasts. Boil some potatoes for about 15 minutes, then let cool. Slice these to fry, the cook up quicker. Fry with no oil! Get a good non-stick pan,
                          Good luck!
                          on it boss. I am strong willed; I won't quit. I can deal with just shredding them and dry frying, add a little hotsauce or vinegar and I'm set.

Comment

Here are some tips to make it more bearable. Have some carrots or bell peppers on hand, if you run out of potatoes and just have to munch something, munch some of those. Only in emergency! Also helps to cook up some rice for the day you want to quit, but know you shouldn't. Eat some rice for a change, but it's easier to overeat rice than potatoes. Also, bake up 6 or 8 potatoes at a time, use these for lunch and breakfasts. Boil some potatoes for about 15 minutes, then let cool. Slice these to fry, the cook up quicker. Fry with no oil! Get a good non-stick pan,
                            Good luck!
                            also, what's the deal with using seasonings and such? I have Tony Chachare's creole seasoning and I put it on basically everything.

Comment

This doesn't seem quite right. If you lose muscle mass, you will have fewer or smaller motor units, meaning your total force-production capacity will decrease. If you then fire the same percentage of available units to move a weight, your strength will be lower than if you had more muscle.

If muscle mass had nothing to do with strength, then the strongest people (in absolute terms) would not necessarily also be big. But the "world's strongest man" and other such competitions are full of huge guys with absolutely massive musculature and are never won by small people. Same is true for all the strength records for various lifts AFAIK. Strength is clearly a function of muscle size, type and neurological adaptation, with the neuro element determining what proportion of your available pool of force-production potential you can use, but if you're drawing on a bigger pool in the first place, stands to reason you'll be stronger, all else equal, no?
                              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• I have heard that a lot of those really super strong people are big because it's a lot easier to focus on eating lots to build big muscles than it is to try to build big muscles without getting fat at the same time because if your goal is simply strength and you don't care about appearance, you don't want to sabotage your goal with any kind of calorie restriction.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X