EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
    To anyone spreading fear about "damaging your metabolism" or "going into starvation mode", there is a very inexpensive and simple tool you can use to monitor and avoid this problem. It is called a thermometer. If your metabolism starts dropping, your body temperature will drop.

1. Take your temperature for several days each morning on waking to establish your baseline.

2. Monitor your temperature each day you are potato-feasting.

3. If your temperature drops significantly (like, say, dropping below 97.5 degF/36 degC when your baseline is 98.6 degF/37 degC) and stays depressed for a couple of days, it's time to stop and re-nourish.

"Starvation mode" is not some nebulous spiritual state. It's something that can be easily measured and, being observed, prevented.

But the fact that so many people are reporting losing fat mass even when eating to appetite, with no conscious portion control, suggests to me that it just won't be a problem. There's this funny thing about starving--it makes you freaking hungry.

LOL, that was funny And thanks for the other info. I read to monitor temps, but I didnt make the connect as to why. Handy information to have

Originally posted by PrimalJosh View Post
    And isn't there that classic example of the doctor who put the obese man on a fast for a month or something, taking a multivitamin, and he regained health. Not lost.
    Somewhere in this mess is a link to a man on a fast for over a year. He lost a lot of weight and only gained back a nominal amount compared to how much he lost.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
      To anyone spreading fear about "damaging your metabolism" or "going into starvation mode", there is a very inexpensive and simple tool you can use to monitor and avoid this problem. It is called a thermometer. If your metabolism starts dropping, your body temperature will drop.

1. Take your temperature for several days each morning on waking to establish your baseline.

2. Monitor your temperature each day you are potato-feasting.

3. If your temperature drops significantly (like, say, dropping below 97.5 degF/36 degC when your baseline is 98.6 degF/37 degC) and stays depressed for a couple of days, it's time to stop and re-nourish.

"Starvation mode" is not some nebulous spiritual state. It's something that can be easily measured and, being observed, prevented.

But the fact that so many people are reporting losing fat mass even when eating to appetite, with no conscious portion control, suggests to me that it just won't be a problem. There's this funny thing about starving--it makes you freaking hungry.
      Is that why I feel like I could eat forever??

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi
        Why shouldn't you kiss in a potato field? Potatoes have EYES! We used to tell that joke when I was a little kid. Couldn't resist.

Heading into my 5th day of potatoes, down 3lbs total, feeling great.

As I read through, I seeing a trend of people who are also eating rice not doing too well on this. Looking at calorie info on rice, it does seem to pack more calories in a smaller serving, so maybe just sticking to potatoes is warranted.
        Can you explain the problem with rice besides the more dense calories. If adding rice seems to satiate, then when you get full you stop just like the potatoes. Is there any other reason to not add rice in? Does the starch/carb difference hinder any?

Comment

• Though this may be an interesting thread, why is it on MDA? Pure carbs and white potatoes? Nothing primal here. Primal is more about health, not the latest weight loss gimmick. Or am I wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleofan View Post
            Though this may be an interesting thread, why is it on MDA? Pure carbs and white potatoes? Nothing primal here. Primal is more about health, not the latest weight loss gimmick. Or am I wrong?
            Mark's Blog today may answer some of that

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fall-...#axzz292xlOnxQ
            Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
              Actually thought that article kinda says we should be putting on that layer of fat right now and not worrying about it. Not really about a fall time crash diet of just potatoes. OK sorry, I'll try to stop being a party crasher.

Comment

• And @ paleofan, lots of stuff thats not "Primal" makes for threads on here. Its all good and keeps things interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleofan View Post
                  Though this may be an interesting thread, why is it on MDA? Pure carbs and white potatoes? Nothing primal here. Primal is more about health, not the latest weight loss gimmick. Or am I wrong?
                  The much maligned potato is hardly a pure carb as we've learned here. It is a primal-approved Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple food, full of protein, fat, and carbs. What's wrong with exploiting it's seasonal use as a fat-busting tool. Mark's latest book, "21 Day Total Transformation" also promises quick fat loss...nobody picks on him!

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    Actually thought that article kinda says we should be putting on that layer of fat right now and not worrying about it. Not really about a fall time crash diet of just potatoes. OK sorry, I'll try to stop being a party crasher.
                    Yal I read that part, but it also assumed Grok would have over ate it because it was available. But it summarized by suggesting it might also stoke the fat burning machine again.

I knew it wasnt saying the exact same thing as our beloved tater thread, but I still enjoyed it

Comment

• The temperature thing is handy, ta

Comment

• ...from PubMed

Vinegar dressing and cold storage of potatoes lowers postprandial glycaemic and insulinaemic responses in healthy subjects.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
                        To investigate the effects of cold storage and vinegar addition on glycaemic and insulinaemic responses to a potato meal in healthy subjects.

SUBJECTS AND SETTING:
                        A total of 13 healthy subjects volunteered for the study, and the tests were performed at Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden. Experimental design and test meals:The study included four meals; freshly boiled potatoes, boiled and cold stored potatoes (8 degrees C, 24 h), boiled and cold stored potatoes (8 degrees C, 24 h) with addition of vinaigrette sauce (8 g olive oil and 28 g white vinegar (6% acetic acid)) and white wheat bread as reference. All meals contained 50 g available carbohydrates and were served as a breakfast in random order after an overnight fast. Capillary blood samples were collected at time intervals during 120 min for analysis of blood glucose and serum insulin. Glycaemic (GI) and insulinaemic indices (II) were calculated from the incremental areas using white bread as reference.

RESULTS:
                        Cold storage of boiled potatoes increased resistant starch (RS) content significantly from 3.3 to 5.2% (starch basis). GI and II of cold potatoes added with vinegar (GI/II=96/128) were significantly reduced by 43 and 31%, respectively, compared with GI/II of freshly boiled potatoes (168/185). Furthermore, cold storage per se lowered II with 28% compared with the corresponding value for freshly boiled potatoes.

CONCLUSION:
                        Cold storage of boiled potatoes generated appreciable amounts of RS. Cold storage and addition of vinegar reduced acute glycaemia and insulinaemia in healthy subjects after a potato meal. The results show that the high glycaemic and insulinaemic features commonly associated with potato meals can be reduced by use of vinegar dressing and/or by serving cold potato products.

Could be something worth trying, for those having BS/Insulin *issues*...hebs

Comment

• I'm always intrigued when reading about the self-experiments shared by posters, so I'm enjoying following this thread.

The weight loss numbers so far are pretty impressive, but I'm wondering how you Tater Crusaders are feeling overall - as far as sleep, energy, digestion, etc. I'm especially curious how those of you who'd been taking the ketosis route are feeling after such a change in diet.

Is anyone been re-thinking their pre-experiment way of eating?
                          Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Ok, so I weighed. 3 days in a row, of exact same. I rarely have two days in a row of the same. Yes I am a daily weigher. So 3 days in a row the same is weird for me.

Now, I have been way more active than I have been in a long time. I have had more energy and felt like doing more, but also I have had more than needed to get done so that may have provided some of my motivation. So I am thinking it might be some water retention and I am hoping that I will see a nice drop when the scale does decide to move.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoJenGo View Post
                              I'm always intrigued when reading about the self-experiments shared by posters, so I'm enjoying following this thread.

The weight loss numbers so far are pretty impressive, but I'm wondering how you Tater Crusaders are feeling overall - as far as sleep, energy, digestion, etc. I'm especially curious how those of you who'd been taking the ketosis route are feeling after such a change in diet.

Is anyone been re-thinking their pre-experiment way of eating?
                              GoJenGo: I'm on Day 5 of the Potato Project and feeling great. Sleep is excellent, especially if I have my evening walk. I found days 1-3 were a little rough as far as energy levels go and adjusting to eating potatoes which is not a favourite food of mine. However, I like a good project, and have jumped in with both feet. I only eat boiled potatoes or Latkes that were dry fried (no oil/butter). I pour bone broth over my mashed taters and they are really good and I could eat them for the next 10 days.

I will be ceasing my potatoe Project on Day 6 because I have to be out of town at a conference for a week.

It seems to me that Days 1-3 I was out of Ketosis, and then Day 4-5 I'm back into ketosis (as indicated by keto sticks).

I believe this to be a great tool is busting through a weight plateau (as I was experiencing at 150lbs), and additionally adds some 'mental and emotional' fun in trying a new direction. The evidence seems to suggest there is no harm in eating straight potatoes for 7-14 days straight.

I will definitely come back to this strategy in the future as a fun and healthy way to mix things up.

Some on the forum have voiced concern that this is not true Paleo because it's a weight buster versus a '360 healthy lifestyle'. I believe that for many individuals, losing weight = better health. Therefore any tools that aid in the reduction of fat, while generating feelings of wellbeing and happiness are a win/win. Just my two cents worth. /Lu
                              ----------------------------------------
                              F, 48, 5'10"
                              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

• Can anyone put a recommended cap on fat intake as a % while doing this? What worries me is that during the preparation of taters I would add too much butter/oil which I imagine would foil the diet since I'm adding dietary fat which would slow or prevent the body from using bodyfat as energy source.

Comment

Working...
                                X