Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well, today is day 2 of the potatoes and I have to say I don't feel very good. I feel dizzy and nauseated but hungry at the same time. I guess I feel similar to when I drink too much coffee. Maybe I just drank too much black coffee.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      Well, today is day 2 of the potatoes and I have to say I don't feel very good. I feel dizzy and nauseated but hungry at the same time. I guess I feel similar to when I drink too much coffee. Maybe I just drank too much black coffee.

      Hope you shake it and have a more pleasant tater experience
      65lbs gone and counting!!

      Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

      Comment


      • Great Blog today and while it mostly suggest you inevitably gain (it assumes we might do like Grok would have and overate) it does say towards the end that it primes your body for fat burning !!

        Fall Foods: Why Seasonal Eating Primes the Body for Fat Burning | Mark's Daily Apple
        Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012, 01:58 PM.
        65lbs gone and counting!!

        Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

        Comment


        • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          Well, today is day 2 of the potatoes and I have to say I don't feel very good. I feel dizzy and nauseated but hungry at the same time. I guess I feel similar to when I drink too much coffee. Maybe I just drank too much black coffee.
          Have you ever noticed similar reaction after a high potato or pepper/eggplant/ tomato meal w/o much fat? Intolerances can be a stinker, and the nightshade family has its hostile side.

          Comment


          • That's what they say. I feel okay now, though. I went for a run. Had a few cramps, but overall I felt a lot better afterwards. I ate another potato and feel okay. Maybe my gut flora are angry. Maybe it's from drinking coffee black. I'm trying to do this potato thing as well as possible. Not a lot of flavor enhancements to the potatoes. No cream in my coffee. I can't decide if I should stop at the store and get more potatoes and continue or if I should quit and see if this works as an all T-bone steak plan.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

            Comment


            • To anyone spreading fear about "damaging your metabolism" or "going into starvation mode", there is a very inexpensive and simple tool you can use to monitor and avoid this problem. It is called a thermometer. If your metabolism starts dropping, your body temperature will drop.

              1. Take your temperature for several days each morning on waking to establish your baseline.

              2. Monitor your temperature each day you are potato-feasting.

              3. If your temperature drops significantly (like, say, dropping below 97.5 degF/36 degC when your baseline is 98.6 degF/37 degC) and stays depressed for a couple of days, it's time to stop and re-nourish.

              "Starvation mode" is not some nebulous spiritual state. It's something that can be easily measured and, being observed, prevented.

              But the fact that so many people are reporting losing fat mass even when eating to appetite, with no conscious portion control, suggests to me that it just won't be a problem. There's this funny thing about starving--it makes you freaking hungry.
              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

              My Primal Journal

              Comment


              • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                That's what they say. I feel okay now, though. I went for a run. Had a few cramps, but overall I felt a lot better afterwards. I ate another potato and feel okay. Maybe my gut flora are angry. Maybe it's from drinking coffee black. I'm trying to do this potato thing as well as possible. Not a lot of flavor enhancements to the potatoes. No cream in my coffee. I can't decide if I should stop at the store and get more potatoes and continue or if I should quit and see if this works as an all T-bone steak plan.
                There's nothing easy about weight loss. There are periods of discomfort and misery when losing weight. I stay focused on thinking about the fat loss versus being focused on my hunger or the foods that I'm missing. If you didn't feel well today, maybe try skipping the coffee and sip on bone broth throughout the day. It's full of nutrients, almost no calories and it feels like comfort food. 5-7 days is a short period of time to try this experiment --- nothing to lose and everything to gain.

                I'm home tonight fixing a very yummy dinner for my hubby who will be running a marathon on Sunday, while my yellow potatoes are boiling away in a pot for me. I'm happy to eat my taters because I'm two pounds shy of my weight loss goal (woot woot).
                Last edited by Louisa655; 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM.
                ----------------------------------------
                F, 48, 5'10"
                Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                  To anyone spreading fear about "damaging your metabolism" or "going into starvation mode", there is a very inexpensive and simple tool you can use to monitor and avoid this problem. It is called a thermometer. If your metabolism starts dropping, your body temperature will drop.

                  1. Take your temperature for several days each morning on waking to establish your baseline.

                  2. Monitor your temperature each day you are potato-feasting.

                  3. If your temperature drops significantly (like, say, dropping below 97.5 degF/36 degC when your baseline is 98.6 degF/37 degC) and stays depressed for a couple of days, it's time to stop and re-nourish.

                  "Starvation mode" is not some nebulous spiritual state. It's something that can be easily measured and, being observed, prevented.

                  But the fact that so many people are reporting losing fat mass even when eating to appetite, with no conscious portion control, suggests to me that it just won't be a problem. There's this funny thing about starving--it makes you freaking hungry.
                  Thank you for this information, Uncephalized.
                  ----------------------------------------
                  F, 48, 5'10"
                  Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                  Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                  Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by otzi
                    I have been monitoring my temps daily. Average of morning and evening temp has been 97.5 for some weeks prior to potato-fest, and it has been 98.3 for the past 3 days.

                    I'm going to go the full 14 days. No cheats so far, tomorrow will be day 7, and I am closing in on -5lbs today. I don't think I will have to do this again for a long time, not that it's that unpleasant. I'm at my lowest weight now since I was in boot camp at 18 years old (I'm 47). I had gotten up to 250lbs about 5 years ago. I'm at 157 today! My goal is 10lbs in 2 weeks.
                    Hey, Otzi: Next time you want to do this, let's get together, and we'll stream 14 full days of the Potato Project -- could be the greatest reality tv show of ALL TIMES! Congratulations on the weight -- that is freak'n awesome. And thank you so much for sharing this with myself and the forum members --- You've been a big factor in catapulting me forward towards my goal.

                    Question is: What's my next goal? Hmmm-- maybe I should lose a few more pounds.......something to think about. I really do need to starting lifting more which I will as soon as I finish my Masters (few more months). I'm enjoying the banter here while I enjoy my mashed potatoes and beef bouillon -- I never tire of this dinner. Tonight I'm eating 17 ounces of potatoes and my keto stics indicate I'm back into ketosis (happy ville). What a great night! /Lu
                    ----------------------------------------
                    F, 48, 5'10"
                    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                    Comment


                    • I did think of some other good this thread can do....When someone says "hey that paleo/primal thing is just a fad diet right?" I can say "definitely not! If you wanna see a fad diet...see the potato thread!"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        I did think of some other good this thread can do....When someone says "hey that paleo/primal thing is just a fad diet right?" I can say "definitely not! If you wanna see a fad diet...see the potato thread!"
                        Ha, ha, good one! It does have the makings of a good fad diet, though. It works, it's repeatable, and it's catchy. The only problem is it's cheap and doesn't require years of follow-on support like WeightWatchers or Atkins. Somebody could get rich if this was marketed right.

                        Comment


                        • [QUOTE=Louisa655;976348] could be the greatest reality tv show of ALL TIMES! /QUOTE]

                          Hmmmm....Tater Boo-Boo!

                          Comment


                          • I know many are sceptical - I am too.
                            But I'm going to give this a try. If it end up being bad, can it be worse than a week of takeaway food?
                            And isn't there that classic example of the doctor who put the obese man on a fast for a month or something, taking a multivitamin, and he regained health. Not lost.

                            I'm sure this argument will rage on - but instead of going back and forth, I'm just going to try the experiment.
                            I can't argue with results.
                            Believe and achieve.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by otzi
                              I hadn't even considered people with nightshade intolerances going into this, hope that's not you!

                              Years past, I tried eating just chicken breast. After about 3 days it was all I could do to gag a piece down. I couldn't even look at chicken for a long time after that...and I was starving all the time when I did it. I think you would find the same thing with T-Bones, even though I think you are just kidding. I am amazed at how tasty I find potatoes at this point.

                              Last night I cubed up some baked potatoes and browned them in a frying pan, ate them with salt and vinegar. An hour later, I was still a little hungry, so I grated a raw potato and fried it really crispy and ate it with a good bit of sea-salt. It hit the spot perfectly. Tonight I am thin-slicing and pan frying. I can almost smell it now!
                              I hope it's not me, either. I never thought of myself as having an issue. I eat tomatoes and peppers probably every day. Eggplant only once in a while. Not a big fan. Potatoes now and again even since going primal/paleo. Perhaps it's just too much black coffee. It's the same amount of coffee as always, just black.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by otzi View Post
                                Ha, ha, good one! It does have the makings of a good fad diet, though. It works, it's repeatable, and it's catchy. The only problem is it's cheap and doesn't require years of follow-on support like WeightWatchers or Atkins. Somebody could get rich if this was marketed right.
                                Hmmm....now I'm interested. OK, who here has a six pack that we can put on the cover?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X