EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
    What are your normal macros? I am use to lower-ish cals w/high fat. And fasting, so maybe that is why? And I do not exercise anything like you do normally, although I have found more energy this last week or so
    I tend to eat around 2000cals per day, 70%ish from fat, 5-10% carbs and the rest protein.

I have always been able to stuff on carbs, don't find it so easy with meat and veg. I think this will work for me as a hack to mix things up, but I have a feeling that I will end up eating MORE calories with spuds alone than eating primal, odd but true!

Comment

• To clarify my concerns, I am not arguing against eating starches. Anyone who has read my posts regularly will know that I have also had more success since adding more carbs including potatoes and white rice--I agree that HFLC is not the magic solution for everyone. My concern is dripping caloric intake to <1000 kcal per day (something I see as quite risky with the potential of serious metabolic consequences and yoyoing, which has possible long term consequences for body composition and weight regulation) and the potential nutritional deficiencies involved (although this is less of a concern in my mind over a short term period of a week or so).

Choosing to eat 1500 kcal daily from nothing but potatoes seems faddish and questionable but not seriously detrimental, and if it works for you, fine (although I see nothing more magical here than the ease of caloric restriction with high satiety foods). It's the consumption of starvation level calories over several days that has me particularly concerned.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Day 4 here.

Does any one else feel the effect of insulin spike after a dose of potatoes? I have this nausea and yuk feeling. Almost like a dehydrated or hung over feeling. It seems to go away, but then I am hungry again! Will it be hard to revert back to my low carb once I am done with tater days?

Comment

• I agree. I can't see any need to drop that low for days on end. In the context of occasional IF, then fine, but if one is going to calorie restrict, I think you still need to use the diary or whatever to make sure you are at an adequate intake per day, or at least averaged out over a few days.

If people are struggling to eat 700 cals on spuds alone, then perhaps it is not the experiment for them. I had no trouble at all, probably overeating in fact :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by msfish View Post
            Day 4 here.

Does any one else feel the effect of insulin spike after a dose of potatoes? I have this nausea and yuk feeling. Almost like a dehydrated or hung over feeling. It seems to go away, but then I am hungry again! Will it be hard to revert back to my low carb once I am done with tater days?
            I feel hungry before I eat my 2 potato meals per day. After eating my potatoes, I feel satiated, happy and a little 'full'. I begin to get hungry just before bed time. I'm eating dinner around 4:30pm and go to bed around 9 - 9:30pm. I ignore the feeling of being hungry and then fall to sleep. I have a coffee in the morning and am very busy at work, so I don't eat again until around 11:00 am. I deal with bouts of hunger just fine --- I don't get crabby etc, so this potato feast works just fine for me.

I began the P.Fest at 150lbs and am down to 145.80 lbs.. My goal weight is 143 lbs.. This potato feast has been the catalyst to blast me through the last 7-8 lbs of fat. I will continue posting for 7-10 days after I break the P.Fast so that we know whether the loss for me is permanent or not. When I break fast Saturday evening (meeting my son at a restaurant for dinner), I will go back to my paleo lifestyle with 70%Fat/20% protein/10% carbs as that is what my body seems to do well on. I will be increasing exercise over the next month. /Lu
            ----------------------------------------
            F, 48, 5'10"
            Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
            Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

• Originally posted by msfish View Post
              Day 4 here.

I think I wouldn't know if there's an insulin spike or not without actually using a blood sugar meter. But I do feel kind of gross today after my breakfast potatoes. I would imagine you can easily revert back to low carb by just going low carb. I doubt a short experiment with potatoes will result in a lengthy low carb flu adjustment period although if you are into ketosis it'll probably take a couple weeks to get there again.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                I think I wouldn't know if there's an insulin spike or not without actually using a blood sugar meter. But I do feel kind of gross today after my breakfast potatoes. I would imagine you can easily revert back to low carb by just going low carb. I doubt a short experiment with potatoes will result in a lengthy low carb flu adjustment period although if you are into ketosis it'll probably take a couple weeks to get there again.
                This is Day 4 for me on the Potato Feast and although I've felt "good" over the past 3 days, I feel extraordinarily great today. Prior to the Potato Project, I've been VLC and generally in Ketosis. It's interesting to note that since starting the Potato Project, I have NOT been in ketosis, according to my keto stix. However, if I were to go on 'feelings' alone, I would say that I'm in Ketosis today.

Additionally, I can go into and out of ketosis very easily and, in fact, do so almost every day. My body seems to 'like' ketosis and I feel great in that zone and I intend to go back to that zone once I finish my PFeast.
                F, 48, 5'10"
                Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

• Louisa's experience is pretty much mine. I feel fine, except the first time I had my vitamins, I forgot to take them earlier so it was the last evening tater, and I felt funny but it soon passed. So I make sure I take them earlier now.

I ate my last tater around 7. Bed by 10 (which I try to go to bed by 9 but we are catching up watching SAMCRO) Up at 4am. Little hungry then but didnt eat until after 7.

I had a little gain yesterday but I am around 6lbs down now, since last Wednesday. That included the first 3 days of 30-40% fat along with taters. I will go back to that, as weight loss is just too slow for me on high fat.

I refigured my weight loss for September and dont know if I posted it here or not, but it was .8 for the entire month!! It was about 2lbs for all of August. 2.4 for July I could go back further, but as you can see, steadily increasing to more fat does not work for me

So that is more weight in a week than the last 3 months!! Time will tell if it stays off. And I know.... the scale is a bad judge. But there is also over an inch off my waist since I started, and it hasnt budged since July 2.
                  Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM.
                  65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Happy to hear that others are having great results on this. I'm just extremely jealous and very disappointed that I'm not seeing anything!

Comment

• OMG! I can't stand it any longer! I've been following this thread from it's start. I'M IN!!!!
                      Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

• I dont know how much I buy into starvation mode anyways. I was taught that and always believed that, and preached that. But with so much fat reserves, I dont see how my body would think it was starving. If you dont take in the calories, it just takes it from reserves. That is what reserves are for.... IN MY MIND. Nothing science behind that. I am just typing outloud.

Look at the guy that fasted for over a year? Now I am not saying it might not be good or might not cause some sort of metabolic problems for some, but it just seems like in an otherwise healthy body, the body would know to live on it's own fat in times of famine. When the fat is gone, then it works on muscle. Why would it starve itself to death when it has reserves to feed on.

just typing outloud. I know it has been discussed before, and I know that I came to my own conclusions that I don't believe in starvation mode, well not unless you truly are starving, but not so much when just calorie restricted. But I dont know what or where I read that so nothing I can post to support that now. Seems like it had more to do with the number of days of no food and not just restricted food, and I remember thinking to myself I didnt have to worry about that so maybe that is why I dont buy it in the short term of things.
                        Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• I happen to be training a number of clients at the moment who, although eating something of a standard diet before I met them, were actually eating around 800 cals a day when I actually got them on the food diary. They didn't lose weight until I upped their calories to a 'sensible' level. By sensible, I mean over 1200 cals per day, and have slowly got them to eat more over time, primal type diet of course.

They were habitual low cal eaters, just thinking that if they eat less they would lose more weight, but it didn't happen. I have one now eating primal between 14-1500 cals per day, and she is losing 2.5-3lbs per week. She has lost 16 lbs since 1st September, and has 4 more stone to lose, but it is working nicely.

I see little point in going really low in the cals, it won't harm you in a couple of weeks of course, and, thinking aloud, it might well bring that feast/famine thing into play, perhaps the body 'needs' it, but never gets it in these days of plenty.
                          Last edited by PureFunctionalFitness; 10-11-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
                            I happen to be training a number of clients at the moment who, although eating something if a standard diet before I met them, were actually eating around 800 cals a day when I actually got them on the food diary. They didn't lose weight until I upped their calories to a 'sensible' level. By sensible, I mean over 1200 cals per day, and have slowly got them to eat more over time, primal type diet of course.

They were habitual low cal eaters, just thinking that if they eat less they would lose more weight, but it didn't happen. I have one now eating primal between 14-1500 cals per day, and she is losing 2.5-3lbs per week. She has lost 16 lbs since 1st September, and has 4 more stone to lose, but it is working nicely.

I see little point in going really low in the cals, it won't harm you in a couple of weeks of course, and, thinking aloud, it might well bring that feast/famine thing into play, perhaps the body 'needs' it, but never gets it in these days of plenty.
                            Yal I can see that.

I seem to do best with around 1400 but with the high fat, I was full on less so getting in no more than 1300. . So in hind sight, I think that is why the lower fat/more carbs worked better for me. I mean sure fat has more calories but I was just too full to eat as much.

But with all the fasting stuff I read, there is just so much good that can come from not digesting food for a short period of time. And I know, that is what we are all talking about here. I just mean for those onlookers worried about starvation mode. I am sure it is real, I mean I know ppl do starve to death, but I dont see it happening for short periods of time.
                            Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi
                              You and I are responding in almost identical fashion to this. I think you will be most happy when you see that the weight doesn't came back on afterward. Another thing you are about to experience is the reawakening of your taste buds. The first real food you eat will taste like it was straight from heaven.

I remember after my first try at this last year, the first thing I ate was a piece of 100% dark chocolate. I was in disbelief, I couldn't fathom what I was eating. I kept checking the package to see I hadn't bought some kind of weird specialty chocolate.

As to people concerned about calorie restriction for 7-14 days, I don't see the problem at all. Look at the HCG folks, eating 400 calories a day for months. The HCG just prevents them from getting hungry and going into starvation mode mainly. Same as people who have had lap band or bariatric surgery, they go sub 1000 for months to lose fat. I think 2 weeks of calorie restriction is no problem at all for an otherwise healthy person.
                              Otzi: Couple of thoughts:
                              1. Unfortunately, I won't be couriering my bikinis to you --- because they fit just nicely now!
                              2. It's always of interest to me why some bodies respond differently to identical protocols. But that's the why human bodies are so fascinating and weight loss is quite complex.
                              3. I'm thrilled to be on the cusp of my weight loss goal.
                              4. I don't eat chocolate -- never had a real liking for it, which is odd as a female.
                              5. I don't have any cravings while eating potatoes.
                              6. Day 4 for me is clearly the best day yet for energy levels. I'd be happy to go more than 7 days on potatoes but have a dinner at a restaurant with my son and Sunday pm I'm out of town for a week on a conference. I will be using the Potato Feast protocol again should I ever need to lose a few quick pounds in a hurry. This is a protocol that works very very well for me and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention in my plea for help to lose my last 10lbs. Thank you so much! xoxo
                              F, 48, 5'10"

Comment

• Originally posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
                                I happen to be training a number of clients at the moment who, although eating something of a standard diet before I met them, were actually eating around 800 cals a day when I actually got them on the food diary. They didn't lose weight until I upped their calories to a 'sensible' level. By sensible, I mean over 1200 cals per day, and have slowly got them to eat more over time, primal type diet of course.

PureFuncationalFitness: Your comments in relation to your clients sound very solid to me. I can see that your clients are in good hands with you. You work in an interesting industry where every human is different and it takes some trial and error to find the right protocol for weight loss and the journey towards improved health and wellness.
                                F, 48, 5'10"

Comment

Working...
                                X