EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beckie View Post
    Day 3 for me on the potato experiment. No weight loss (yet), but since this has been easy for me to follow I'm not quitting. I've been weighing my little potatoes before I eat them and logging all of my food in MFP, primarily to make sure that I'm not overdoing it and not sneaking something in that I really shouldn't.

I found it interesting that for the first 2 days my calories ended up being within my normal targeted range. I wasn't aiming for the calorie targets, it just sorta happened. I'm not as hungry today and have only had my 1.5 cups of coffee. I have several baked potatoes waiting for me in the little fridge under my desk when the hunger hits.

I have been running and walking for my exercise since I'm gearing up for a race in a few weeks. I have no energy issues and feel great. I'm just hoping that my n=1 isn't going to turn out that this won't work for my skinny-fat self.

Potato Experiment Stats:
    10/8: 139.5
    10/9: 140.9
    10/10: 140.6
    Thanks for the update. What's your total consumption of potatoes on a daily basis (in lbs)?

/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
      Thanks for the update. What's your total consumption of potatoes on a daily basis (in lbs)?

/Lu
      Day 1 was ~2lbs, Day 2 was ~2.5lbs

Comment

• I just went back and looked at my log. Here's the exact numbers:

Day 1: 770g potatoes (~1.76lb), 400g rice
        Day 2: 1100g potatoes (~2.52lb), 280g rice

Comment

• Interesting n=1 expirements going on here. I may have to give this a shot
          Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
          SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
          CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Comment

• This an interesting experiment, and I think it's pretty awesome that people are continually changing things up. In my opinion, I think in the end the caloric deficit is the main contributor of the fat loss. As long as satiety is controlled, a caloric deficit is fairly easy to maintain. So, all the potatoes (starch) makes this possible. In another scenario, someone could do the same thing with protein, eat moar chicken/tuna. For those concerned about lean muscle retention and continuing a workout routine during this experiment, I might recommend a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) as suggested in Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss" book.

I realize this is another n=1 experiment with white starches, and I'm only hypothesizing the basic fat loss reasons behind the experiment, while also suggesting its similarity to other approaches.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              Wow, using that calculator puts my body fat percentage at 27.7%. Not the more respectable 25% I put in my signature.
              I seriously question the accuracy of that calculator. It puts me at 12.6%, which is definitely way off.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                I seriously question the accuracy of that calculator. It puts me at 12.6%, which is definitely way off.
                I was looking more at the calories needed, and they seemed on the low side.
                65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by tcoop2232 View Post
                  This an interesting experiment, and I think it's pretty awesome that people are continually changing things up. In my opinion, I think in the end the caloric deficit is the main contributor of the fat loss. As long as satiety is controlled, a caloric deficit is fairly easy to maintain. So, all the potatoes (starch) makes this possible. In another scenario, someone could do the same thing with protein, eat moar chicken/tuna. For those concerned about lean muscle retention and continuing a workout routine during this experiment, I might recommend a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) as suggested in Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss" book.

I realize this is another n=1 experiment with white starches, and I'm only hypothesizing the basic fat loss reasons behind the experiment, while also suggesting its similarity to other approaches.

Thanks.
                  I think your comments accurately define/reflect this experiment. I'm a big believer in variety while on the path to a specific goal (ie. weight loss/fitness etc).

I'll compare this experiment to a good coach of an athlete. Athletes are dedicated to the attainment of their goal. A good coach understands that a variety of training tools will assist in keeping the athlete emotionally and intellectually engaged, thereby increasing the odds of achieving personal success. How many young athletes do we know who quit their competitive swim programmes or piano lessons out of boredom? Numerous.

For numerous individuals on this site, weight loss and maintenance is likely going to be an 'ongoing process' for the rest of our lives. The pursuit of n=1 health, vitality and emotional well-being is a noble goal. To share in this pursuit with our friends, families and strangers on this forum is also noble. Therefore, whatever tools we can jam into our arsenal and share is of benefit to this community.

It is likely that I would have reached my weight goal in the absence of the Potato Project. However, the enjoyment is sharing the journey with other, like-minded individuals and documenting the results.

For me personally, the hyper-acceleration of weight loss is a bonus and the methodology is sound and I don't have a problem doing this. If this experiment works for a few of us, then the possibility exists that it will be successful for others who embrace 'mixing up' their approach to weight loss. It's a win/win.

Now, if someone posits the experiment of a liver and kidney experiment, I'll politely decline as I still cannot manage eating those foods, despite the fact that I understand how healthy they are.

Okay, now my stomach is calling ---- and my potato latkes need warming in the microwave --- and I'm off!
                  F, 48, 5'10"
                  Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

• Could you do this for just 2-3 days and then go back to regular paleo diet, and still expect some permanent results?
                    Just wondering because I would like to try this, but my schedule would only really allow me to do this for a few days at a time. If there is something "magical" about doing it for 10 days, then I'll have to wait. I also don't want to drop a pound or two, only to put it right back on.
                    Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Following that lead:

Q: What do you call a person who spends a lot of time sitting and peering into their garden? A: "Medi Tators."
                      Q: What do you call a potato that is never motivated, but are content to watch others? A: "Speck Tators"!

More bad tater jokes here:

Potato Jokes - Vegetable Jokes
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi
                        As I read through, I seeing a trend of people who are also eating rice not doing too well on this. Looking at calorie info on rice, it does seem to pack more calories in a smaller serving, so maybe just sticking to potatoes is warranted.
                        My thoughts too. No rice today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Bobcat View Post
                          Could you do this for just 2-3 days and then go back to regular paleo diet, and still expect some permanent results?
                          Just wondering because I would like to try this, but my schedule would only really allow me to do this for a few days at a time. If there is something "magical" about doing it for 10 days, then I'll have to wait. I also don't want to drop a pound or two, only to put it right back on.
                          Thanks in advance.

I Just gotta comment cause I saw your name and where you were located.............GO BOBCATS
                          F/37yr/5' 5"
                          SW: 154 March 2011
                          CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
                          PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
                          With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
                          GW: 120
                          Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Bobcat View Post
                            Could you do this for just 2-3 days and then go back to regular paleo diet, and still expect some permanent results?
                            Thanks in advance.
                            Good question. Maybe do this experiment for 2-3 days and let us know what the results are for you?
                            F, 48, 5'10"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                              Following that lead:

Q: What do you call a person who spends a lot of time sitting and peering into their garden? A: "Medi Tators."
                              Q: What do you call a potato that is never motivated, but are content to watch others? A: "Speck Tators"!

More bad tater jokes here:

Potato Jokes - Vegetable Jokes
                              Totally put a smile on my satiated face. Now, what to make for dinner tonight -- oh yeah, mashed potatoes!
                              F, 48, 5'10"

Comment

• LOL, u go girl

Comment

Working...
                                X