No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm a bit confused. How were you diagnosed as T2D? What is your hbA1C? Basically, all you did with the potato-only meal was to give yourself an oral glucose tolerance test--the same one that your doctor no doubt gave you when he diagnosed you T2D.

All in all, it sounds like using potato starch/resistant starch and an all-potato diet is not for you.

A single spike or two, even daily, above 140 does not cause nerve damage. Even spikes up to 200 do not cause nerve damage. It's when someone has uncrontrollable BG that stays above 140 for most of the time, resulting in an elevated hbA1C, that causes problems. Most recommendations are to avoid glucose spikes by having fat with carbs.
    Last edited by otzi; 08-26-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• I was diagnosed with T2D just a month ago by my doctor. My glucose tolerance test result was in the diabetic range, therefore the diagnosis. Because I have been eating VLC for over 4 years, my hbA1C is in the normal range now.

Evidently, I had been T2D for years before starting HFLC, but had never been tested. The response I have to glucose is extremely high, and my doctor told me that as long as I eat VLC, I will not need insulin or meds.

I only wanted to do the PH to lose the last several pounds of excess body fat that I still have. I had heard that T2Ds could do it because the resistant starch in potatoes would not raise their blood sugar. Obviously not so in my case. I had better just steer clear of all carbs, including resistant ones.

What are you confused about?
      Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
      Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
      So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
      Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
      Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

• I didn't know if you were actually diagnosed, or just thought you were T2D based on a home BG monitor.

If you have been eating low carb for quite some time, and were low carb when you went in and did an oral glucose tolerance test, the results would be skewed, making it look like you were a diabetic. My guess is that you are not diabetic in the least, but are showing signs of physiological insulin resistance (PIR), which is a normal, necessary, reaction to low-carbing. I have seen several people say you need to eat a moderate amount of carbs for a week or so prior to an OGTT for it to have any meaning. If your hbA1C was normal, you are definitely not diabetic.

There is not enough RS in regular cooked potatoes to make much of a difference in the glucose response. To go straight from LC/VLC to an all-potato diet will cause alarming readings on a BG monitor.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
          My guess is that you are not diabetic in the least, but are showing signs of physiological insulin resistance (PIR), which is a normal, necessary, reaction to low-carbing.
          My doctor would disagree.

If your hbA1C was normal, you are definitely not diabetic.
          If a person is diabetic with an abnormal hbA1C, then spends four years eating HFLC, their hbA1C will go down in response to their new blood glucose over that four years. Since going VLC, my BG has been normal.
          Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
          Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
          So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
          Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
          Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

• Otzi, is there a limit to how many potatoes a day?
            Sunday was day 1 and I went down 1.4, but bounced back after day 2 and went up .6 this morning. Ate less yesterday. Today I've eaten more, close to 3lbs. It's always difficult to not emotionally eat after a gain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gatordn View Post
              Otzi, is there a limit to how many potatoes a day?
              Sunday was day 1 and I went down 1.4, but bounced back after day 2 and went up .6 this morning. Ate less yesterday. Today I've eaten more, close to 3lbs. It's always difficult to not emotionally eat after a gain.
              Not really a limit as they sort of self-limit, but it ends up being a 'calorie' game in the end. Most people report feeling full on about 50% of their normal calorie intake and see rapid weight loss.

What I found works really well for me, skip breakfast, eat 1 big potato around noon, eat 2 big potatoes around 6, and snack on 1 or 2 golf ball sized potatoes any time hunger pangs are unbearable. Calorie-wise, that's probably 800-1000.

Comment

• Originally posted by RSL View Post
                My doctor would disagree.

If a person is diabetic with an abnormal hbA1C, then spends four years eating HFLC, their hbA1C will go down in response to their new blood glucose over that four years. Since going VLC, my BG has been normal.
                Here is a post for you:

Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance

Not sure if you doctor is correct or incorrect, but if he is not accounting for this there is at least a chance its the latter. Your statement about hbA1C is correct, but that doesn't totally account for the fact of PIR. Of course without all of your markers and specific numbers we're just shooting from the hip.

Comment

• I can see physiological insulin resistance on my glucose monitor. If I eat a high fat ketogenic diet, my fasting glucose is around 120. When I do the potato hack, my fasting glucose goes to low to mid 80s (typically 83). If I eat a moderate carb diet, fasting glucose goes to mid 90s.
                  2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                  2010 Paleo Diet
                  2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

Now down 120+ pounds lost

Comment

• Hello!! . I've been searching for other people actually doing a hack right now and I hope I've found some! . I'm on day 9 of taters right now and am TOO happy! I'm 100% not tired of them, at all (crazy right??). I listed my results so far below. I actually only eat warm potatoes, I can choke down the cold, but the warm seems to be doing just fine! Weeeeeee! . I only eat them with spices and chicken broth. I've had ketchup once and BBQ once but meh, I mostly eat them mashed. Sooooo yummy! . Is anybody else on the potato wagon?

Day 1 - 165.8
                    Day 2 - 163.6
                    Day 3 - 161.4
                    Day 4 - 158.4
                    Day 5 - 158.0
                    Day 6 - 158.4
                    Day 7 - 157.8
                    Day 8 - 154.8
                    Day 9 - 155.4

Comment

• Originally posted by lindtstar View Post
                      Hello!! . I've been searching for other people actually doing a hack right now and I hope I've found some! . I'm on day 9 of taters right now and am TOO happy! I'm 100% not tired of them, at all (crazy right??). I listed my results so far below. I actually only eat warm potatoes, I can choke down the cold, but the warm seems to be doing just fine! Weeeeeee! . I only eat them with spices and chicken broth. I've had ketchup once and BBQ once but meh, I mostly eat them mashed. Sooooo yummy! . Is anybody else on the potato wagon?

Day 1 - 165.8
                      Day 2 - 163.6
                      Day 3 - 161.4
                      Day 4 - 158.4
                      Day 5 - 158.0
                      Day 6 - 158.4
                      Day 7 - 157.8
                      Day 8 - 154.8
                      Day 9 - 155.4
                      I'm also on the potato wagon! What great success you've had! This is my dirt post on MDA but, of course, I've been a lurker for quite some time. I have learned so much here but never thought I had much to contribute until now. I'm currently on day 8 and am feeling just fine. I don't dress mine up though. I barely use 1/2 tsp of pink Himalayan salt per day. For the first 4 days I didn't use anything. I also only drank water. I now make a half gallon of green tea (4bags) and drink that with two additional large glasses of water. I have found an odd pattern in my losses. I am only losing every other day, dispose consuming the same thing. I'm going for 14 days and will then add in seasonings and maybe ketchup. Maybe.

I have lost over 35lbs since January 1st with a VLCHF/Primal diet. It's been a long road. To lose this much in such a short time...I'm hooked. I will finally be in 'normal' BMI range when I lose one more pound. I've been pregnant, obese or overweight for the last 6 years. It's nice to finally see a light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

Here's my stats so far:
                      D1: 168.6
                      D2: 165.6
                      D3: 163.8
                      D4: 163.4
                      D5: 161.8
                      D6: 161.8
                      D7: 160
                      D8: 160
                      Last edited by DirtAndTea; 08-10-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• OK, I lasted only 5 full days, broke my hack with a banana (plus taters), due to loss of energy, headaches and a growing loss of satiety. I would have liked weight loss (finally clocked in at 4 lbs lost), but was mainly interested in getting blood sugar under control. Off hand, it started moving down, but I've been in that range before. 7.5.> 5.8 during day. My fasting B.S, did not change much. However, my toes-obscuring middle shrank by a couple inches, my inconsistent bowel issues resolved on the good side, and tah dah! my roseacea smoothed out and lost its scaliness in that time. So I can say it was a success. Will I try it again? Possibly. But not to lose weight. I think that's a lost cause.;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtAndTea View Post
                          D1: 168.6
                          D2: 165.6
                          D3: 163.8
                          D4: 163.4
                          D5: 161.8
                          D6: 161.8
                          D7: 160
                          D8: 160
                          Wow! When it works it works! The first time I did it, I was stalled for a year working on the 'last 10.' Lost them all and a few more with 2 weeks of potatoes...and after fearing carbs like the devil himself. If nothing else, the potato diet is a gateway drug to eating starchy carbs again.

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                          (finally clocked in at 4 lbs lost) Will I try it again? Possibly. But not to lose weight. I think that's a lost cause.;-)
                          Yeah, 4 pounds in 5 days...that sucks. I'd have figured you could lose 40 or 50 in that length of time.

Just messin' with ya. Good job! I think you'd be a good candidate for the way I did it last winter. The first 3-5 days of every month, just potatoes. I lost all my summer bulk-up weight (10lbs) in the first three months, and a few more by April. Normally, I'd gain 10 pounds from Sep-Apr.

I love the quote in my siggy line about people with a wide variety of ills trying the potato diet for a short time. It shows me how important food is in the grand scheme. Eating everything under the sun trying to find a magic combination is much harder, in my opinion...been there, done that. Go simple and see what happens. I will say, though, that there are people who don't do well with starch/potatoes/carbs...we're all different. But don't give up on these foods just because you read they are bad. Find out for yourself. I love it when pre-diabetics/T2Ds try the potato diet and, viola, their BG doesn't go crazy.
                          Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• Well, I've lost about 90 lbs in the last few years being quite low carb. I am REALLY afraid of carbs! I have gained about 10 back, though, and I want them gone.

I have been doing ADF for the last 4 or 5 weeks, I can understand the benefits, but I haven't really lost much (2 or 3 lbs, maybe?)

I'm contemplating trying this, just to shake things up. If I gain MORE, though... well, I'm afraid to even think about that.
                            Janeen

Comment

• I started it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread109763.html
                              JOURNAL..
                              @BabesWithBBQ.
                              Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                              Professional Style Website.
                              #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                              X