My Dr is a moron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    ewe explained to them over a decade ago the science around butter vs margarine, but they still buy shit-loads of margarine because "it's good for baking and makes things low fat!"
    this... I don't understand this.... Fat is fat... margarine is still fat! Margarine has just as many calories per TB as butter.... so how is margarine "low fat" in any way (unless you have "low fat" margarine)?

OP... if you really feel you need the assistance of a medical professional, you might want to get a second opinion, find a doc that understands nutrition... 'cause the list of "do not eat" has a lot of things that are known as "healthy fats" even to CW peeps!
    (and people wonder why I don't trust doctors...)

Comment

Originally posted by Drmike View Post
      Egg substitute (because I'm sure Grok found little cartons of egg beaters in the wild)
      It is a little known fact that the small eggbeaters cartons have only been developed in recent years by selective breeding. The original species was of the quart size, with rare occurrences of the half-gallon, mostly in central Canada.

Comment

My wife was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol and pre- diabetes. Today her Dr gave her a pamphlet on food guidelines. Here are some of the foods to avoid; bacon, butter, coconut and coconut oil, avocados, nuts, fatty meats , egg yolks, whole milk. Here are the list of acceptable foods. Egg substitute (because I'm sure Grok found little cartons of egg beaters in the wild), soft margarine, vegetable oil, high fiber grains like oats and whole wheat and fat free milk. Thus proving once and for all that my Dr is an absolute moron. I'll bet she would recommend a carton of cigarettes to a patient with lung cancer. When is the medical community going to get with the program
        And is your wife going to follow his recommendations?
        sigpic
        Age 48
        Start date: 7-5-12
        5'3"
        121lbs
        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
          Bloody margarine !!!! We have this grok versus korg thing going on in my house - and I just found a margarine pottle in the fridge full of mould !!!!! and someone has been eating it !!!!!!!!
          SAD
          I was unaware that plastic could mold

Comment

Originally posted by FossTheBoss12 View Post
            Me too! I wonder how long that was hidden in your fridge?

I'm also wondering how old and outdated that info was that the Dr. gave the OP's wife.
            Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              It is a little known fact that the small eggbeaters cartons have only been developed in recent years by selective breeding. The original species was of the quart size, with rare occurrences of the half-gallon, mostly in central Canada.
              Ha! Well done.

Comment

Today I made my wife eggs and bacon for breakfast. My goal is to have eat every thing on the list of foods to avoid and when she goes back in 6 months and her cholesterol is down I want to be there when she tells them what she ate

Comment

Originally posted by FossTheBoss12 View Post
                  I totally agree. I thought that it was too processed to mould - however maybe the little add-ons, that people seem to have a habit of leaving in the margariene pottle created said mould ?????

PS add-ons are the wee jam or p-nut butter extras left behind !!!!!!

"Today I made my wife eggs and bacon for breakfast. My goal is to have eat every thing on the list of foods to avoid and when she goes back in 6 months and her cholesterol is down I want to be there when she tells them what she ate"

Drmike, I can't wait for this to play out !!!!

Ok people - how does one multi quote ???????
                  "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMama View Post
                    .... so how is margarine "low fat" in any way (unless you have "low fat" margarine)?
                    That's probably what my mom had in her fridge the last time I was over there. I was too afraid to look at the actual ingerdients, but it was a very large tub and it prodly proclaimed it was "Gluten Free!"

My butter doesn't feel the need to say that.

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                    Ok people - how does one multi quote ???????
                    Find all of the posts that you want to quote, then click on the button to the right of the "Reply With Quote" button for each one. When you get to the last one, click on that far right button one last time, and then click on "Reply With Quote".
                    Durp.

Comment

Actually, doctors have no choice but to recommend what the medical standard is for a healthy diet. My doctor is an excellent doctor, and he has been open to my choice in diet and lifestyle. However, he still tells me that based on my cholesterol numbers, he must recommend statins, even though he and I both know I won't take them.

Comment

Today I made my wife eggs and bacon for breakfast. My goal is to have eat every thing on the list of foods to avoid and when she goes back in 6 months and her cholesterol is down I want to be there when she tells them what she ate
                        Those foods won't lower her cholesterol. It will most likely raise it. Primal isn't about lowering cholesterol, it's about (to a certain extent) realizing cholesterol is a good thing.
                        Also, I don't remember exact stats but, the amount of cholesterol your body actualy absorbs from food is very little

Comment

An employee of mine went to his surgeon yesterday and laying on the table were photo copies of the Paleo Diet for the taking. I think it was from Men's Health
                          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I talked to a nurse practitioner this week and she wanted my MD links related to the Paleo diet
                            Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                              Because thinking of two DIFFERENT meals and/or actually cooking is too much to ask?
                              no, because we like to have pizza too.

it's likely that at the bowling alley, I'll be able to have a salad w/meat because that's easy enough (it's a fairly diverse menu), and then the second night with pizza is the only good pizza in NZ, so we'll go ahead and eat it.

I actually miss pizza. Before I was primal, I ate pizza about once a quarter -- usually wood burning oven baked stuff. Tasty! When we moved to NZ, it was *tragic* how bad the pizza is here. It's TERRIBLE. it's worse than the mexican food, and that's not great. WHAT IS UP WITH KIWIS AND SWEET? yuck.

Anyway, this one place is owned by italians who moved here from napoli, so it tastes really good and authentic. Seeing as I haven't had it in over 1.5 years (we had it to celebrate my friend's return to the US -- so his going away party, his choice), I see no harm in having it.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                                Actually, doctors have no choice but to recommend what the medical standard is for a healthy diet. My doctor is an excellent doctor, and he has been open to my choice in diet and lifestyle. However, he still tells me that based on my cholesterol numbers, he must recommend statins, even though he and I both know I won't take them.
                                How is it that they have no choice?

My doctor was an allopathic doctor who prescribed homeopathy and herbalism as his first port of call, and also would offer diet/nutritional protocols in lieu of medication.

I didn't notice that he was ever under any obligation from anyone to give a "party line."

Comment

Working...
                                X