Thyroid Meds and going Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stella81 View Post
    Thanks for your reply RobinNM. I thought you weren't meant to supplement with iodine while on Armour? Does anyone know if that's true? My reaction (i.e. the racing heart) was just on the day I went primal, not at any other time. I have a feeling I'll be checking in with my naturopath and doctor next week...
    You're right. You're not. I was making a bad joke based on the old Iodine thread and some of the posts therein. You don't want to supplement with iodine, and you do want to watch the iodine in the foods that you eat - eggs, for instance have about 20 mcg of iodine, so if you eat a lot of eggs, that can affect your levels. Seafood also has a lot of iodine as well. That was all I was trying to say (albeit badly).

Comment

My doctor put me on Bio-identical oestrogen and DHEA. I can't tolerate the oestrogen and have had to go off it. Also on maca and Shatavari but this is still very much early days and I don't think I've got a proper handle on everything yet. I can see a gradual approach is going to be the way to go...

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
      Informational inserts for all thyroid meds warn that adrenal issues need to be address FIRST. Also, hormones have a hierarchy, with adrenal hormones ahead of thyroid and thyroid ahead of sex hormones. This may, in part ,explain the down regulation of thyroid and sex hormones.

So the question I have is, what is your medical professional doing to address the higher hierarchy of hormonal disruption, which from what you have stated is adrenal fatigue? To complicate matters, dietary changes, while good in the long run, may add stress and in the face of already taxed hormonal systems create the issues you mentioned in your initial post.

Comment

Sorry, newbie so didn't pick up the joke Thanks for info re: eggs. I may have to watch that as I do tend to eat a lot.

Originally posted by RobinNM View Post
        You're right. You're not. I was making a bad joke based on the old Iodine thread and some of the posts therein. You don't want to supplement with iodine, and you do want to watch the iodine in the foods that you eat - eggs, for instance have about 20 mcg of iodine, so if you eat a lot of eggs, that can affect your levels. Seafood also has a lot of iodine as well. That was all I was trying to say (albeit badly).

Comment

Do you have your cortisol results that got you an adrenal fatigue diagnosis?

If you haven't done so, you need to get a 4x diurnal salivary cortisol test ASAP.

If you have a whacked out cortisol pattern, there is no dose of thyroid that will work. Adrenals have to be fixed FIRST.

Go here: Adrenals Web

Comment

Adrenals have to be fixed first--IF they are a problem initially.

I have Hashimoto's and have developed an ancillary auto-immune problem with my adrenals--ten years after my initial Hashi's diagnosis. The relation of this adrenal issue to Hashi's is well documented.

And although gluten sensitivity or celiac often correlates with Hashi's--there is no causitive effect. I went gluten free (completely grain free) with absolutely no improvement in terms of my thyroid issues.

I feel much better eating grain free because I'm convinced that I have some sensitivity to gluten, but that's all part of the same auto-immune problem that affects my thyroid and now my adrenals.

While there's good info on the Internet, there's no substitute for sound medical advice--and I am fortunate to have an excellent endo.

Comment

Working...
            X