Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's more important: low-carb or Primal ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot dogs? As far as I'm concerned, they're not even MEAT. I don't know what's in them, because I really, really don't want to know... but they don't resemble real meat AT ALL... not to mention all the preservatives and crap in them.

There are many, many better options than hot dogs. Sure, most won't be as cheap but at least they'll be FOOD!

There's fish, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb... all of which are actual food .

Comment

Ya I pretty much eat the same things . Lots of eggs bacon steak and whey protein. I am a horrible cook. Everything I do is plain. Tbh just frying up some bacon and eggs is a HUGE step for me. Used to just eat Mac and cheese.I know I need veggies but for the most part I don't like them. And if I do they are raw. been trying to mix in fresh express veggie lovers salad

Comment

Although primal and low carb are KINDA one in the same
        Not they are not. I know plenty of low carbers who all sorts of processed foods with no regard for quality. And while I don't count macros, I'm pretty sure there are some carbs in the veggies, fruit and dairy I eat.

Eat a variety of real food.
        Sandra
        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Ok... I should admit to having one "hot dog" weakness.

BUT!
          It's a specialty product made only in Syracuse, NY.
          It's pretty ridiculously expensive for me to get shipped to FL... so I rarely have them.
          And despite it being a "hot dog" it's really more of a finely ground specialty sausage...
          It's the Hoffman Snappy Griller.
          (I think this may have now been officially been changed to "Coney's")
          My husband and his family from upstate NY have always referred to these as "Coney's"... and this has gotten me into trouble as I have thought I'd get this delightful specialty sausage by ordering a Coney off a regular menu... yuk!

The company, Hoffman's of Syracuse, always ships fresh, uses no gluten, no MSG, no by-products, no artificial colors or flavors, and the product is minimally processed in a natural casing.
          The ingredients are: pork, veal, egg white, and nonfat dry milk along with spices (tastes like a mix of maybe white pepper and allspice or mace and cayenne pepper). I'm sure there is some salt too, but they are surprisingly not salty flavored for a sausage type device.
          They are white-ish rather than pink like hot dogs.

On a very special occasion I would eat several of these babies... with no remorse at all
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is an awesome cookbook. I've only cooked a few recipes from it, but the ideas and concepts that I learned from reading it helped me learn how to cook. At the end of the day, you just have to get in the kitchen and try! The worst that can happen is that your meal is less than delicious. As long as you learn from your mitakes, it's worth it.

I also higly recommend The Food Lab on Serious Eats. And Good Eats with Alton Brown. Watch/read the above sources and you will become a competent cook.

Comment

If you're interested in VLC primal, I recommend reading "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas. She advocates for a VLC diet and gets into the physiological effects of elevated blood sugar and glucose metabolism to make a case for sustained ketosis. She also makes a good case for moderating protein intake, which means most of your calories then come from fats. Since it looks like you're eating mostly meat and eggs, you might consider adding things like salad with olive oil, cooked or raw vegetables, nuts and seeds, nut butters, olives, avocadoes, coconut milk, or raw milk dairy (if you can tolerate casein). None of these really require much preparation, and if you're able to spend more time, you can find more involved recipes for sauces, soups, bread-alternatives using almond or coconut flour... Low carb doesn't necessarily just mean meat and eggs.

Also, the best way I've found to trick myself to eat more vegetables is making homemade shakes. I got a cheap blender and mix things like coconut milk, kale, beets, carrot, cucumber, ginger, red cabbage, etc., with a little ice and some berries for a little sweetness. It's easy to experiment with different ingredients for some variation.
              Last edited by stonefury; 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Very very funny!! My kids will love it!

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                Hotdogs...
                Ok, this is the only legitimate response...

Comment

Working...
                X