Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I eat ham!?!?!

Hi,

I am new to being primal and just bought the e-book last night. I read the whole thing and, unless I am mistaken, it said to eliminate ham from my diet but I don't remember reading why. I am wondering if there is something in it that will make my insulin levels too high (not a sugar ham but just a regular smoked ham), or if it is the curing process and the chemicals involved?

The same question goes for sliced lunch meats.

please advise, thanks
    Last edited by TOOMBS; 10-03-2012, 01:18 PM. Reason: *clarifying type of ham
    Height 6'5"
    Heaviest weight: 320 lbs
    Starting primal: 275 lbs Oct 1, 2012
    Current weight: 236 lbs Jan 14
    Short term goal: 230 lbs Jan 31
    Long term: 210 by March?

Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67022.html

Sugar, nitrates, and nitrates would be my very first guess. The sugars is processed meats are going to keep your insulin on a rollercoater, and the nitrates and nitrites (and msg, and whatever other 'yummies' they put in them) are bad news for your health.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Comment

I didn't realize that sugar was added to smoked hams. I realize that nitrates are bad but I am really just concerned with keeping insulin low at this initial jumping off point.

thanks for the input
      Height 6'5"

Comment

I don't think the sugars are very significant, nor are the nitrates.

But then again, when I hit a plateau and I stopped eating things with "hidden" corn syrup and nitrates I started losing weight again. Coincidence?

Comment

I'm thinking it probably isn't a coincidence, youmustvotenato.

Sugar is a required part of the processing of many meats - -I have to use it when I corn our beef, too. The catch is that it generally isn't the higher quality, nourishing sugars they use in commercail processing. That's why I corn our beef and am working on a smoker so I can make our own hams.
          Misti

Comment

Gah! I have one in the oven now.... Ham is like my favorite
            Height 6'5"

Comment

Originally posted by TOOMBS View Post
              Gah! I have one in the oven now.... Ham is like my favorite
              Enjoy your ham, then go read up on the effects of nitrites/nitrates/etc. I found it easier to drop foods after reading about the effects. If your body drops weight afterwards, then it may be the issue.

Comment

I have a slice of ham at work every now and then. I work at a Cracker Barrel and our ham is yummy! I try not to that often though.

Comment

I love ham, too -- but we save it for special occasions, and starting next time, we'll be turning a pork roast into a ham at home to see if we can make an acceptable compromise.
                  Misti

Comment

Is nitrite free ham not acceptable?

Comment

I've had nitrate (or nitrite?) free bacon. It had nitrates (or nitrites) from celery salt or celery or something. I wonder if that is just as bad.

Comment

A ham is just a cut of meat off the hog correct? We buy ours direct from the butcher, and I don't think it has any of this bad stuff added. I understand where smoking, salting, sugaring etc could be bad, but just a plain ham.....should be ok right?

Comment

Originally posted by shep68 View Post
                          A ham is just a cut of meat off the hog correct? We buy ours direct from the butcher, and I don't think it has any of this bad stuff added. I understand where smoking, salting, sugaring etc could be bad, but just a plain ham.....should be ok right?
                          A "fresh ham" is just a hunk of raw meat and is perfectly okay.
                          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I hate ham!! Where I grew up we always ate ham after funerals - the association is burned in to me!

In general, though, I think the whole "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" applies here. Have some ham here and there if you would like, but it is a bit too processed to make it daily staple IMHO.
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

TOOMBS, maybe next time try a nice pork belly next time. Since I tried pork belly, I no longer crave/want ham...

Comment

Working...
                              X