Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eeek Dark Chocolate & nasty side effects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • eeek Dark Chocolate & nasty side effects

    Last night I treated myself to about 75g of Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate.. oh boy... this was not good. I quickly took on a nauseous stomach and a really bad head ache.

    -apparently too much dark chocolate can have some pretty upsetting side effects

    -Who else has had similar experiences?
    -Does any one have suggestions how to get over this? (just have to give it time?)
    -Why does this happen?

    very interesting but not how I wanted to find out!
    "Never regret. If it's good, its wonderful. If it's bad its experience"
    -Victoria Hold
    F/Age 23 height 5' 3"
    HW 134
    CW 126
    GW 120

  • #2
    Dark chocolate still has refined sugar in it, i wouldnt eat it personally.

    Comment


    • #3
      Some people are more sensitive to sugar than others.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

      "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

      Comment


      • #4
        That exact chocolate is my preferred one. The sugar is negligible really, at least when you eat it in reasonable quantities. I have a bar in my desk drawer here and will have a couple of squares as a "dessert" from my lunch, or as a snack now and then. Six squares (20g) = 4g of sugar total. But you ate 75g? We're talking ~500 calories worth of chocolate... I think you just OD'd a little . Those bars are not like a snickers bar where you're meant to open it and eat the whole thing
        -Chuck

        Comment


        • #5
          Too much of anything is bad.

          I eat 85% Vivanni dark chocolate every single day. I eat 1-2 squares. It's amazing and just enough to make me never crave anything sweet. (Right now I'm on a Whole 30 and so I'm not eating it and it hasn't been tough, though I plan on adding it back in since I consider it a "superfood")

          Comment


          • #6
            one of those brands added milk back into their "dark" recipe...could that be the problem?
            Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
            http://thewoodsygal.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              I generally stay in the 90% range and have never had an adverse reaction. I finally just quit buying the bars about 6 months ago because I'd demolish them as soon as I got them home. My wife makes dark chocolate on occasion using a bit of honey as the sweetner.. that stuff is amazing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by impala454 View Post
                That exact chocolate is my preferred one. The sugar is negligible really, at least when you eat it in reasonable quantities. I have a bar in my desk drawer here and will have a couple of squares as a "dessert" from my lunch, or as a snack now and then. Six squares (20g) = 4g of sugar total. But you ate 75g? We're talking ~500 calories worth of chocolate... I think you just OD'd a little . Those bars are not like a snickers bar where you're meant to open it and eat the whole thing
                +1

                I find a square or two (or three on bad days) is just perfect. Especially, if you really savor it, letting it sit in your mouth as it melts. Mmmmmmmmm My favorite chocolate bar of late Dolfin (Belgium chocolate) at 88%. It's really rich.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Aside from the fact that 75g at onve might indeed be too much chocolate, I find it hard to believe that it was sugar that caused the discomfort - 10 g of sugar isn't a can of coke or a donut.
                  Before this treat had you cut chocolate out completely and now re-introduced it? It might be a sign of intolerance to cocoa rather than sugar. Do you have access to some 100% chocolate or nibs to check that?
                  My IgG test actually showed I am very slightly intolerant to chocolate but elimination-reintroduction didn't really show anything, so now I have some chock (80-99% or raw choc/nibs) once in a while (sometimes even more than 75g)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lissee View Post
                    +1

                    My favorite chocolate bar of late Dolfin (Belgium chocolate) at 88%. It's really rich.
                    The 88% Dolfin is amazing indeed - I discovered it just a couple of weeks ago. Dolfin in general are really nice although I try to keep away from "commercial" chocolate, choosing organic/raw, if I can.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      definitely can relate, i gotta pretty bad headaches from the stuff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by solstice View Post
                        one of those brands added milk back into their "dark" recipe...could that be the problem?
                        Here's the ingredients list off the one in my drawer (Green & Black's 85%): organic chocolate, organic cocoa butter, organic cocoa, organic raw cane sugar, organic vanilla extract.
                        -Chuck

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          perhaps the caffeine jolt then?!
                          Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                          http://thewoodsygal.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I used to get nauseated after eating an entire bar. Until one day I got sick and fasted for 3 days because I was nauseated all of the time. And eversince I can eat an entire bar without side effects
                            well then

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Tryptophan overdose?
                              The Side Effects Of L-tryptophan | LIVESTRONG.COM

                              It's the substance in chocolate that helps boost serotonin levels, and is awesome in appropriate quantities, but apparently can cause some discomfort if over-consumed. Don't know if there's enough in dark chocolate to cause this, but looks like you might have crossed that particular threshold!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X