Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think rice eaters are just delusional sugar addicts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I eat rice almost every day. It's cheap as shit and keeps my grocery bills down.
    I did say most

By the way have you ever eaten Nasi Goreng? I can post a recipe if you like, but it will have to wait until later because I am supposed to be putting together a lesson plan right now...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

• To be honest, this thread is making me think of popcorn, not rice. Though I am liking the whole "rice, butter and cinnamon" idea.

And it makes me glad I'm not out there dating right now, too. Holy crap, that some scary gene pool.
      Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
        I did say most

By the way have you ever eaten Nasi Goreng? I can post a recipe if you like, but it will have to wait until later because I am supposed to be putting together a lesson plan right now...
        Yes! My mother-in-law makes a mean Nasi Goreng. That ish is delish...

It's my FIL's favorite, so she always makes a huge batch on his birthday and we all eat a ton.
        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Has anyone tried popped rice from the Korean supermarket? They have this awesome machine that pops out rice cakes fresh from rice. I want to get one, but I'd probably snack on that way too often...

Or freshly ground rice flour. For mochi. Mmmmm...
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
            I did say most

Nasi Goreng is the freaking nutter butters. I havn't had that in years. Now I want some. And it's all because of this thread....
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Has anyone tried popped rice from the Korean supermarket? They have this awesome machine that pops out rice cakes fresh from rice. I want to get one, but I'd probably snack on that way too often...

Or freshly ground rice flour. For mochi. Mmmmm...
              That sounds awesome, I would love to try that. Speaking of rice flour, I need to find some good rice flour recipes. I tried some store-bought white rice bread, and it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped.

Comment

• OMG red bean mochi are one of my favourite treats.

And rice with butter and cinnamon is lovely. I usually eat rice as a substrate for things like curry or stirfry, but I will sometimes do dessert-y rice things. Also, kheer. Cardamom makes me happy.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by mostofthetime7 View Post
                  Why would you use up your carbs on something like white rice when you could be eating veggies and fruit with more nutrients?
                  Why...

Well, for starters, eating a ton of vegetables and fruit was one major trigger for my IBS flares...which I was able to stop by cutting out most of the veggies and replacing them with...RICE. The horror.

There are MANY reasons why people might need to do something different that what you are doing.

Comment

• Seriously guys, getting 100% of your carbs from "non-starchy" (who cares?) veg is barely enough glucose to power your brain.

It shows.
                    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

• Seriously guys, getting 100% of your carbs from "non-starchy" (who cares?) veg is barely enough glucose to power your brain.

It shows.
                      I just started reading this thread, from back to front, and I'm already taking offense.
                      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

• Well this has certainly provided me with quite a bit of amusement today.
                        Seriously, though, if this has all been inflammatory (pun intended ) on purpose it's an incredibly successful troll...*slow clapping*...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                          I just started reading this thread, from back to front, and I'm already taking offense.
                          doin it wrong, start at page 1
                          beautiful
                          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                          lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                            Seriously guys, getting 100% of your carbs from "non-starchy" (who cares?) veg is barely enough glucose to power your brain.

It shows.
                            You've got to be kidding. Not all us low carb people are idiots like the OP, you know.

Hey, this mochi you are talking about, is that the square thing you can get in a health food store? I bought that once, put it in the oven like the instructions said, and out came a puffy yet gooey thing. I tried to eat it but I swear I was really scared I was going to choke on it and die. I must have done it wrong. Seemed like a really good idea. The only thing called mochi I've eaten since then is that mochi ice cream from Trader Joe's. Haven't had that for more than a year. That was one of my favorites.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              You've got to be kidding. Not all us low carb people are idiots like the OP, you know.

Hey, this mochi you are talking about, is that the square thing you can get in a health food store? I bought that once, put it in the oven like the instructions said, and out came a puffy yet gooey thing. I tried to eat it but I swear I was really scared I was going to choke on it and die. I must have done it wrong. Seemed like a really good idea. The only thing called mochi I've eaten since then is that mochi ice cream from Trader Joe's. Haven't had that for more than a year. That was one of my favorites.
                              It's supposed to be puffy and gooey out of the oven. You can wait for it to cool before eating so that it's not so overwhelmingly gooey. It's basically a really dense, chewy rice-flavored cake. I usually make hawaiian butter mochi with the following ingredients:

1 stick butter
                              1.5 cups sugar (or substitute)
                              1 can coconut milk
                              2 tsp baking powder
                              1 tsp vanilla
                              4 eggs
                              8 oz mochiko rice flour

Mix all together (no lumps!) and bake at 350 degrees until top browns, about 40-50 minutes.

I've also made a pumpkin version if you want to check it out:

Pumpkin mochi « The Clean Palate

Comment

• Originally posted by tarek View Post
                                That sounds awesome, I would love to try that. Speaking of rice flour, I need to find some good rice flour recipes. I tried some store-bought white rice bread, and it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped.
                                I think if you tried to make it at home, it would end up like a dense cake instead of bread. Unless you are cool with flatbread?

Comment

Working...
                                X