No announcement yet.

How do you get your 20%?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get confused about something. A lot of people talk like the 20% is just food. I take into account not sleeping enough, exercise (or lack of), sun exposure (or lack of), and diet. I am quite strict on my diet, but can be fairly lax in the other areas so I don't feel like I can really take 20% in food indulgences alone. I don't really want to anyway, but is this the correct way to look at it? Or is it somewhat relative?

Comment

The 20% thing isn't literally about programming one fifth of your food as non paleo/primal. It's more like a kinda bottom line or a way of looking at what's good enough in a practical sense. I don't get the concept of 80/20 other than if life gets in the way it allows us to weigh up the emotional/health/social cost and if required, to just go with it without beating ourselves up.
      Last edited by avelin; 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM. Reason: typos
      Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Comment

I save it mostly for social situations, if I'm served a meal at a friends house I'm not going to stress over the occasional dessert or glass of wine. When I'm at home I don't touch anything not primal, generally.

Comment

At this point, I'm going to have to structure my 20%. If I don't cheat in a controlled manner, I'll cheat in an uncontrolled manner, like raiding my emergency storage at night for packets of Swiss Miss. Bad girl! So here's my 20% plan:

Breakfast non-primal: 1 scoop whey powder in the smoothie.
          Lunch non-primal: 1-2 ounces 85% fair-trade chocolate
          Dinner non-primal: 3 Jones pork sausages <-- might be mostly primal since the ingrediants are "pork, water, salt, spices, sugar." no gluten, nitrates, or MSG.
          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I have bG issues, and had noted several years before I started on insulin that a bad cheat meal, like pizza or pasta, screwed my bG up for 2-3 days. So weekly always seemed way too often to me to cheat. I set aside one day/month, usually saved for a social occasion, to be able to eat with friends or family without it being complicated for them. Also, I found it easier to "postpone" something I was craving than to think I could never have it again, so my monthly cheat kept me "good" the other 29 days.

That being said, I'm currently on GAPS and am being really strict, and intend to keep being really strict, as the intention is healing a gut and dealing with food allergies/intolerances. But there's also a built-in temporary notion to GAPS, when you come off it, you eat mostly WAPF-style, with occasional cheats.

To my mind, the 80/20 rule is to keep a LIFESTYLE change going. When you're in the emergency room and starved and there's nothing but a vending machine, when a well-meaning relative presents you with a chemical-laden sugar-free cake, when you have a job interview over lunch and don't want to be "weird" - the 20% leaves room for life stuff that doesn't fit, cause... well, most of the world doesn't eat right, so it's mostly full of crap food.

Comment

i do not know what i can get 20% points but i try this

Comment

I don't plan a 20% either. I will have a few bites of good quality ice cream when I am out with my kids or some sweet potato chips when I want something salty and crunchy. After almost 7 months in, this is just the way I eat without really thinking about it. I avoid gluten like the plague though. Not worth the crappy way I feel for days. My husband eats out with his office several days a week and he always orders something primal aligned, but of course it is restaurant food, so I am sure there are non-primal ingredients making their way into his food on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                X