Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caloric intake to lose 1 lb a week seems low, thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
    I lift weights 2 or 3 a week, sprint once or steady state depending oh how I feel. Lately I have been just working out randomly when ever I feel rested enough to exercise. Honestly, I don't follow the primal plan. I work out the way I have always done it but I just change my routine every 4 weeks or so. I don't have an active job either but I do walk to wherever I need to go most of the time.

I watch what I eat. If I want to drop fat I count calories but some days I don't. Regardless whether I count calories or not I try to eat as paleo as possible. The thing that made me drop weight faster without stalling for weeks is switching to paleo. I would not even say I eat low carb as I eat above 100 g of carbs most days. Before paleo I always felt hungry for some reason but now I could go on for 6 hrs without having to snack.
    This is really helpful, thanks. I feel like we're on similar programs except I haven't gone fully paleo. I am still on ideal protein, but plan to commit next week. Do you drink at all? I think that is a biggie for me, I have to cut out wine when I want to lose, or booze in general. Also do you allow any fruit or yogurt? I am obsessed with plain greek yogurt, but if I have it in the house I eat it so thinking I can't have it in the house. Same with nuts and nut butter and dark chocolate and fruit for that matter. hahaha. will power is a little tough.

Comment

Based on my calculating method, and factoring in an estimate for your activity, your maintenance calories would be around 1750 per day. My suggestion for people that are cutting would be to try alternate caloric intakes based on your training days. If you are doing heavy weight training three days per week, then make those your higher calorie and carb days. For example, you could eat about 1900 calories on those days, with higher carbs and lower fat. The other four days keep it lower carb, higher fat and around 1100-1200.

There is no need to cut out fruit. However, nut butters and dairy are very calorie dense. You don't have to cut them out, but you need to limit them quite a bit. If you want to feel full while cutting, then eat a lot of vegetables and fruits with meats. You would surprised to find that you can eat a huge meal with about 8 ounces of beef, lofs of vegetables and some fruit for dessert. Give it 3-4 weeks to see if you have any progress. If not, then adjust it a bit until you see some changes with the measuring tape.

I losing fat right now with this:

On my workout days I eat almost two pounds of sweet potatoes, couple pieces of fruit and 24 ounces of leaner meat and/or chicken, along with over a pound of various vegetables in the mix.

My rest days I have much lower carbs, but I still eat almost two pounds of meat/chicken/fish, tons of veggies and a few pieces of fruit.

As you can see, I eat fruit on a daily basis. No need to fear carbs or fructose, unless you are particularly sensitive. However, I do not do dairy anymore, mainly because I feel better without it. I just use butter when I cook, but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
        Based on my calculating method, and factoring in an estimate for your activity, your maintenance calories would be around 1750 per day.
        Thank you so much! I can put away the meat, but I was concerned I was over doing it and it does add to my calorie count.

Can I ask how you got the 1750/day for maintenance? Did you do a different calculation or use a higher activity level?

Comment

Originally posted by magpieoz View Post
          Thank you so much! I can put away the meat, but I was concerned I was over doing it and it does add to my calorie count.

Can I ask how you got the 1750/day for maintenance? Did you do a different calculation or use a higher activity level?
          I found a Leangains calculator online that was made for intermittent fasting. It's definitely not 100% accurate, but it it's a starting point.

Comment

If you remove activity level, your BMR would probably be around 1450, which it would put your average daily calorie reduction to around 950, which is about what you got. However, if you do as much activity as you say you do, then you probably should eat more than 950. I think 950 would be purely for a sedentary person that just sits around all day.

Comment

Again, thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I think on days that I do lift or run I will eat more and then cut back on lazy days where I am only walking to and from work.

Comment

Originally posted by magpieoz View Post
                This is really helpful, thanks. I feel like we're on similar programs except I haven't gone fully paleo. I am still on ideal protein, but plan to commit next week. Do you drink at all? I think that is a biggie for me, I have to cut out wine when I want to lose, or booze in general. Also do you allow any fruit or yogurt? I am obsessed with plain greek yogurt, but if I have it in the house I eat it so thinking I can't have it in the house. Same with nuts and nut butter and dark chocolate and fruit for that matter. hahaha. will power is a little tough.
                I mean sometimes I'll eat non paleo foods if I feel like it but I don't overdo it. I don't eat dairy because I'm lactose intolerant. As far as fruit, it's not something I eat everyday because I'm just not a fruit person. If I'm out I take one with me and I'll wait until I get home to have a full meal. It really depends on my mood. Most often I put a banana in my workout shake with some protein powder. Other than that it's not a must have for me.

I really don't drink. I'll have a couple of glasses of wine or gin and tonic If I go to a club but I don't make it habit to drink everyday. As far as nut butter or nuts in general, I certainly have them in my pantry but I usually eat them to fill calories for the day. I know my diet seems kinda boring but honestly when I eat the healthiest I feel the best. There are so many things you can do with veggies, meat and healthy fat. Sometimes you need time to allow your palette to adjust.

Comment

Again so helpful! Yes, I've been eating mostly veggies and meat for awhile, but I took the summer off and it showed. I think I just need to really commit and clean out the old pantry of any treats if I can't stop myself.

Thanks again!

Comment

I started Primal at about the same place as you except for 5'7", 145 ish lb, post-menopausal (which gives you an edge, girl!)-coming in at about 10 lb lighter since June. I saw the first real results about 2 months in after a 24 hr fast, which I continue to do 1x/week. I don't count calories at all, but I do try to listen to my body. The scale numbers can vary +/- 2 lb just depending on the bulk I'm eating (not necessarily calories) and what's going on in the bathroom (sorry).

Consider treating Primal as a health and happiness prescription, rather than a weight loss solution. If you give it time, as your body adjusts, you will reach your best weight for you. Pay attention to how your body reacts to more or less fat (good threads on this). Targeting one lb per week sounds like it is working against your long-term success and maybe just relaxing and focusing on the lifestyle would be less stressful. Or not. However you proceed, good luck with your goals!!

Comment

Originally posted by NextSteps View Post

Targeting one lb per week sounds like it is working against your long-term success and maybe just relaxing and focusing on the lifestyle would be less stressful. Or not. However you proceed, good luck with your goals!!
                      <3 <3<3 this. Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, every since i started ideal protein diet I've gotten a little crazy about all the weight loss crap. So I am excited to kinda chill and go primal as a lifestyle change vs. a diet.

Comment

Working...
                      X