Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your being primal, hurting your family? Nutritionally that is.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I can't say -- because I don't know how much they are eating, what, and where/how and so on.

I think that if you're the one cooking and buying the food, you can take SAD off the list and just bring home the primal. What they eat outside of the house is their business. It'll be far less than normal SAD stuff this way.

But, I'm like that. We don't have "treats" in the house -- cookies, cakes, ice cream, crisps/chips, etc. All of these are one-off purchases when it's time for them. Thus, his SAD exposure is really minimal. I mean, i'm the worst culprit of giving him SAD foods, so. . . you know. . . it's controlled really.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
      I wouldn't assume that a SAD diet is necessarily of the low-fat, high-carb persuasion. The SAD can go several directions; lots of unhealthy industrial oils and high omega-6; low-fat, high-sugar/grains or a cyclical combination of both. They add vegetable oils to some sodas, so I'd never assume everyone was on a deliberate low-fat diet when I hear SAD. Americans actually get tons of low-quality fats and protein in their diets. It's the excess calories and sedentary lifestyles that contribute to poor health more than just high carb intake alone.
      My reading on the OP's post that his family were eating some of his diet, and some of their typical diet, most likely a SAD one. So, as the OP is eating primal (and that would imply high fat?), then it kinda made me think that the family were eating aspects from both diets. So high fat primal type foods, and SAD foods, which as you say, probably contains plenty of the wrong types of fat, HFCS, processed carbs too. So by implication, they are eating high carb/high fat, with the fat probably coming from the primal foods and the SAD foods too. So possibly a double whammy!

As Zeobird said, you can take SAD off the list, or alternatively, slowly wean them off it. Make sweet potato wedges instead of chips, oven bake some veggies in olive oil, make some satay with beef an peanut butter sauce. Might not be totally primal, but a step in the right direction, and they'll love it !!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        i was blessed with breasts but if i had balls, they'd be huge
        Chesticles.
        Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Papa View Post
          OK, so this is a serious question.... Obviously. I am working at being primal. I do 95% of the cooking in my home. My wife and kids have no interest in being primal. They basically are happy with the SAD. But they want to eat what I make too. So they are really mixing 2 ways of eating, and to me, it seems like possibly a recipe for disaster. They get all the extra fat, AND all the stuff that we, as primal, avoid.

I have only been at this a week, but as I watch them eating my primal food, and also their SAD, well, it scares me.
          Give it time.

If you do the cooking, do you do the shopping? Transition the house into mostly primal with a few of the SAD conveniences to avoid outright mutiny. Lots of vegetables and some fruit. Less chips and crackers. What do you cook, typically? If you are worried about all of the fat, make the food not so fatty and then add fat to your portion via extra butter, coconut oil, ghee or even something like bacon grease saved from frying (I use that a lot).

I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are young then you have a great opportunity to change their eating habits. When they get older, like my kids (3 teens), you lose a lot of control. I am making clean, simple meals for them: steak, green beans, mashed potatoes. Chicken, squash, fruit salad. Things like that. It isn't a perfect Primal diet, but it certainly isn't SAD. My meal would be the meat and some of the vegetables without the fruit. I'd maybe add an avocado. Or sometimes I cook up a meal like a bacon/cabbage/onion/ground meat stir fry that I make nice and fatty and keep in the fridge to eat on my own when I want more fat. They won't eat that; I do!

Trick them. A slow transition to Primal might be the way to go. Maybe they won't even notice as you replace their old habits with new ones? Worth a try.

I'm sorry. Right now you are excited about your progress and want everyone to share your enthusiasm. We will share it with you! And, over time, your wife might join in. Don't give up on her yet. Change is hard for some people.
          sigpic
          Age 48
          Start date: 7-5-12
          5'3"
          121lbs
          GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
          Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
            Give it time.

I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are young then you have a great opportunity to change their eating habits. When they get older, like my kids (3 teens), you lose a lot of control........

I'm sorry. Right now you are excited about your progress and want everyone to share your enthusiasm. We will share it with you! And, over time, your wife might join in. Don't give up on her yet. Change is hard for some people.
            MY daughters are 11, and YES I am excited! Week one is complete and I lost 10 - 12 pounds. I don't know the exact number because my scale needed new batteries when I started, and it was acting rather wonky. After new batteries it has been consistent... consistently going DOWN, that is!
            Start Date 9.24.12
            Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
            CW - 271 pounds
            First Goal - 255 by 2013
            Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
            Other Goal - to get off some medications
            Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
            NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

All you gotta do is make the meals low fat and add your fat afterward. A nice healthy piece of salmon won't hurt anybody on any diet. A nice potato won't hurt anybody. You can put butter and sour cream on yours. They can put smart beat or whatever abomination on theirs. You can even make yours a sweet potato and let them have white potatoes if that's the way you roll. A nice pile of cooked greens or any kind of steamed veggie is good for everybody. You can slather yours with butter and bacon grease. Chicken with the skin on tastes great. They can peel the skin off and give it to you. Any dish served over rice or pasta can be served over zucchini or sweet potatoes on your plate. I'm a big fan of burrito bowls. Let them have all the tortillas. Most people like eggs for breakfast. Maybe your wife will like an egg white omelet and you can get extra yolks for your own. And if steak or pork chops is ever an issue, well then, you get steak and everybody else can have a reheated frozen dinner. You get the idea.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I am very fortunate to have my family follow me into Primal, and that eating benefited them. Only yesterday my husband told me that he only has one hole left on his belt. He did not lose that much weight and getting him out of the over-weight range might not happen (he needs to go to ~ 180 lbs), but he stopped ballooning up to 210+ lbs all the time, and holds low 190's easily. My kid is 6, she is stronger than average according to the city's assessment program, full of life and has a sunny temperament that everyone comments on. Yep, I am just lucky.

Yesterday we were doing a picnic in the forest, and I was thinking how easy it was being primal. I had a box of chopped veggies, threw in a few boiled eggs, a couple cans of sardines for my wee one and myself and a baggie of home-made turkey jerky for my hubby. Plus a couple of apples and 2 cups of grapes for my folks. Super easy, super-fast and no fuss. My kid complained that sardines did not have fish brains, so I had to promise her to show her fish brains next time I make soup with salmon heads.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I've been mostly primal for a year and lost weight, however my husband has gained weight because he still ate CW away from home. He's going Primal with me this month though, hooray! Our 4-year-old is mostly primal, I pack her breakfast/lunch for school, but I'm not strict because she eats the way we do most of the time. She's skinny and active though. She does get gluten-free waffles, mac-and-cheese, and bread sometimes, but I'm working on Primal alternatives and phasing those out as well.

Comment

SAD is high fat and sugar. Plus too many calories. Not enough nutrition.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      All you gotta do is make the meals low fat and add your fat afterward. A nice healthy piece of salmon won't hurt anybody on any diet. A nice potato won't hurt anybody. You can put butter and sour cream on yours. They can put smart beat or whatever abomination on theirs. You can even make yours a sweet potato and let them have white potatoes if that's the way you roll. A nice pile of cooked greens or any kind of steamed veggie is good for everybody. You can slather yours with butter and bacon grease. Chicken with the skin on tastes great. They can peel the skin off and give it to you. Any dish served over rice or pasta can be served over zucchini or sweet potatoes on your plate. I'm a big fan of burrito bowls. Let them have all the tortillas. Most people like eggs for breakfast. Maybe your wife will like an egg white omelet and you can get extra yolks for your own. And if steak or pork chops is ever an issue, well then, you get steak and everybody else can have a reheated frozen dinner. You get the idea.
                      My boyfriend lives off ramen & my primal dinners, for the most part. And cake. He usually bakes about a cake a week, or one batch of cookies a week. I cook everything in plenty of fat, so I'm assuming he's kind of screwed, especially since his dad and dad's dad have diabetes. I honestly don't even know how to make a meal low fat when it comes to the meat. Steaming veggies is no issue.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

I agree with sbhikes. My family doesn't follow PB, but they don't eat SAD either.Somewhere in between, with lower sugar and processed foods and as much whole and organic as possible. I keep the protein lean to avoid the issue you mention. Meals are usually some kind of protein (salmon, beef, whole roast chicken etc.) lots of vegetables and sometimes rice or similar on the side for them. Or I make winter squash soup, which we all love. Meatballs and spaghetti - with zucchini noodles for me. Primal meat loaf - they can't tell the difference. Organic sausage with peppers - rice for them. They love to make pizzas on top of tortillas - I just make mine on sliced eggplant.

It's true that I don't frequently get to enjoy short ribs or some of the other yummies that other folks here make regularly. Once in a while, I make it anyway.

Comment

Geek and I split the difference. We make a joint meal both of us will eat and then he or I (or both) will have a pan off to one side with whatever it is we're doing different. Spag/ pasta is a great example: we'll have the spag sauce, I'll have my squash in the nuker, and he'll have a pot of water going. So's curry: We have the main curry dish, then he has his rice is the rice cooker and I have my greens in the microwave or a saute pan.
                          Do it that style with your wife, and have the kids try both versions. They may come to be more primal than you think they would want to be.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

scary, fat is stored in the presence of carbohydrate
                            Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                            Before and after pics
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                            Primal Sucess Story
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                            Primal Journal
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Working...
                            X