Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah, watching my roommate kill himself with diet...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point, as always, is: don't be an insufferable douchebag just because you started eating brussels sprouts and bacon 6 months ago.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
      The point, as always, is: don't be an insufferable douchebag just because you started eating brussels sprouts and bacon 6 months ago.
      Heh, I never mention his diet to him specifically. I only defend myself when he warns me about heart attacks from all the fat (which he does regularly).
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        You can always find a new roommate. And you can move, too.
        Moving isn't really an option for me right now, given my financial situation. And I still have six months more of a lease with him before I can consider a new roommate. I've been investigating possibilities, though I hope he gets his shit together so that I might not have to.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by impala454 View Post
          The thing that really bugs me is when you do lead by example and still get nowhere. People notice my transformation and are amazed and ask what I did. Then I tell them and get rolling eyes and responses like "that may have worked for you but it wouldn't for me" or "I could never give up ______" or "Eating that much meat/fat/etc is bad for your heart".

I kid you not, I went to one of a close family's member for the weekend. God, I love her. She is like a mom to me. Anyway after five kids within a two year span of it, she now has a massive gut and obese. She complimented me on how trim and lean I have become and I shared with her that my secret was a low carb paleo woe. She told me that she read a book about nutrition and it has been confirmed that she can ONLY eat grains and other high carbs and have to eliminate meat and ANY form of pure protein OR ELSE she will put on weight. I kid you not. She was convinced that meat, fish etc was evil and that the only way for her to lose was to eat a pure high grain diet. I asked her why she hadn't seen any progress with her weight and she did not even bother to reply. lol...i did not have energy to continue the conversation either. smh

Comment

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
            I kid you not, I went to one of a close family's member for the weekend. God, I love her. She is like a mom to me. Anyway after five kids within a two year span of it, she now has a massive gut and obese. She complimented me on how trim and lean I have become and I shared with her that my secret was a low carb paleo woe. She told me that she read a book about nutrition and it has been confirmed that she can ONLY eat grains and other high carbs and have to eliminate meat and ANY form of pure protein OR ELSE she will put on weight. I kid you not. She was convinced that meat, fish etc was evil and that the only way for her to lose was to eat a pure high grain diet. I asked her why she hadn't seen any progress with her weight and she did not even bother to reply. lol...i did not have energy to continue the conversation either. smh
            I totally empathize. I have another friend (not my roommate) who has asked me the same thing and then totally bashed me, belittled me, and beat me into the ground when I told him about it. Apparently low-carb diets are a "dangerous mania perpetuated on society that is slowly killing us."

He now "knows" that I am, not, as he incorrectly assumed, healthy, but am infact, "slowly wasting away to nothingness and should be ashamed at my nutritional ignorance."

Yeah, try to teach your 250 lb gut about nutritional ignorance man.

Comment

The only logical answer here is to kill him.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

It doesn't really bug me if people eat standard diet around me. My BF likes a bit of junk food, and he still eats a sandwich most days for lunch, but he is not obese, he is physically active, he has no health problems or allergies apart from his broken ankle which he did on the soccer pitch, and he feels he does not need to cut out any foods or modify his diet.

I guess if he did have health problems which impacted me in some way, and I felt that he could do something to help himself which he was not doing, then it would bug me a bit. So I guess if your housemate is not paying his rent because of high health costs, I can see why you feel a bit frustrated.

I have a friend who has ulcerative colitis and he has gone on a low carb low fibre diet as recommended by his GI. However, he insists he needs "cheat days" and he has a bunch of pizza, beer, and crap for one day a week, and he wonders why his symptoms flare up for 24-48h after. I keep telling him the diet won't work as long as you are doing that, but he insists that the "cheat days" are more healthy because he would be unhappy if he couldn't have some of the foods he likes. And I kinda think, what's more important, a brief spell of being happy because you ate a pizza, or your long term health? And I can't fathom it.

But people will only change when they are ready within themselves I guess, no matter how hard people around them work to promote positive choices.

Comment

Although my roommate isn't like the OP's, mine doesn't eat any vegetables at all, due to "taste" I guess. Every time I mention cooking some veggies or suggesting going to a place like Boston Market (it's been a while, honestly, and I'm not sure how healthy they are) I get that look like "remember I don't eat veggies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Milliarde View Post
                    Although my roommate isn't like the OP's, mine doesn't eat any vegetables at all, due to "taste" I guess. Every time I mention cooking some veggies or suggesting going to a place like Boston Market (it's been a while, honestly, and I'm not sure how healthy they are) I get that look like "remember I don't eat veggies?"
                    Boston Market is NOT healthy. And he/she won't eat there because of the fact that they serve, bland, overcooked, doused in industrial oils, "veggies?"

Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      The only logical answer here is to kill him.
                      I wish there was a better laughing face because I'm cracking up over here hahahahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                        Boston Market is NOT healthy. And he/she won't eat there because of the fact that they serve, bland, overcooked, doused in industrial oils, "veggies?"

Thanks for the laugh.
                        Haha I'm glad I provided a laugh. I meant to say that my roommate doesn't eat veggies whatsoever, not Boston Market in particular. I guess my parents treating Boston Market as some sort of healthy alternative to fast food (like they would do with Luby's) left that impression since, after all, it's just chicken and veggies on the surface. I'm going to take a closer look at Boston Market now since I never really thought about it too much. Maybe I didn't want to ruin the image of them in my head =/

Comment

Working...
                        X