how much red meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much red meat

i understand the value of it, espeially of the high quality grass fed stuff. but isnt it still kind of tough on our digestive system? im trying to plan my meals for the week and am wondering how many times a week it is okay to eat red meat?

Meat is not tough on the digestive system
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Oh the myths the newbies all have!

Last weekend I brought a cooked steak on a hike. The original protein bar.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

eat meat often. preferably oogly bits and not just lean muscle meat.

i always feel really good after i eat some and for many hours after. until it's time to have some more.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Eh, whatever you feel like. We're not huge beef eaters in my house, I'd say we have it once or twice a week. But we're not hung up on it so once in a while it's more like four or five times a week. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you get some good fish in!
          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I actually had the same question. I'm recovering from cancer and the primal/paleo diet is my naturopathic doc's idea. So, far my research of this diet has been positive, but I'm concerned about the inflammation from eating meat. I'm just learning about this lifestyle and I'm sure in a year I'll be laughing at myself for being so concerned.

Comment

Meat will not cause inflammation. Seed products, like grains and grain based oils, or soy, will cause inflammation. As someone with an autoimmune disorder I can flare over trivial things, but I've never been bothered by a steak.

Tonight I took 3lbs of ground beef out of the freezer to make meatloaf tomorrow, plus 2lbs of stew beef for the slow cooker. Some of that might make it to Tuesday, but unlikely, and it's just myself to feed at the moment.
              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

If you listen to your body after meals and especially the next day, you'll start to recognize different signs. For me, I always feel like Supergirl after eating Liver, Lamb, Cod and Eggs. I guess they are just foods that my body is happy with. I love bacon/pork, but pig products and chicken never make me feel that great the next day. At least I notice no kind of extra 'boost'.

Listen to your body after eating red meat and decide what messages it may be telling you.

Comment

Its been known for over a hundred years that meat is broken down by stomach acid and entirely digested in the stomach in about an hour. It doesn't make it to the small intestine. The myth that steak rots in your stomach is a piece of vegetarian propoganda.
                  A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

eat all the fucking red meat you want motherfucker!
                    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                    Before and after pics
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                    Primal Sucess Story
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                    Primal Journal
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

I hope there's no limit, because we eat red meat for dinner (beef, elk, venison) about 80% of the time. I buy a little chicken, pork and fish when I find a super sale or if I can get pastured/organic/fresh caught from a local source.
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

You should limit the amount of red meat consumed. It's ok to consume it but not with any great regularity. Studies have linked it to colon cancer

Red meat and colon cancer

"Although the results vary, studies from around the world have suggested that a high consumption of meat is linked to an increased risk of colon cancer. In all cases the worry is confined to red meat, not chicken.

The best evidence comes from a pair of large 2005 studies, one from Europe, the other from the United States. The European research tracked 478,000 men and women who were free of cancer when the study began. The people who ate the most red meat (about 5 ounces a day or more) were about a third more likely to develop colon cancer than those who ate the least red meat (less than an ounce a day on average). Their consumption of chicken did not influence risk one way or the other, but a high consumption of fish appeared to reduce the risk of colon cancer by about a third.

The U.S. study added important information about the effects of long-term meat consumption. The subjects were 148,610 people between the ages of 50 and 74. A high consumption of red and processed meats was linked with a substantial increase in the risk of cancer in the lower colon and rectum. Conversely, the long-term consumption of large amounts of fish and poultry appeared protective.

These two studies are impressive, and they don’t stand alone. A meta-analysis of 29 studies of meat consumption and colon cancer concluded that a high consumption of red meat increases risk by 28%, and a high consumption of processed meat increases risk by 20%."

Comment

Please ignore the troll
                          Eat all the grass fed beef you want, all the free range chicken you want and all the wild fish you want.
                          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                          PS
                          Don't forget to play!

Comment

man how am i a troll? i have provided EVIDENCE there of studies performed. I'm not taking this stuff out of my ass.

Not everyone that presents a contrary point is a troll. Are all the researchers who did the studies trolls too? I suppose the 478,000 participants were also trolls?

We can disagree without name calling.

Comment

Those red meat = cancer studies are all observational. All observational studies can do is point to potential blind, controlled studies (as much as can be done with diet). But very few studies get funded because there is no commercial imperative. In the meantime, suggest you followup on all of the commentary on those studies. The conclusions are not as simple as may appear
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                              X