Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need primal meal ideas for non-primal friends...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need primal meal ideas for non-primal friends...

I'm likely to be hosting some friends at my place for dinner on Saturday. None of them are primal by any standard. They are definitely grain-addicted CW types. However, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for some good primal meals I could make that would impress the crowd?

There are no vegetarians in this crowd and everyone eats veggies too, so those are also good to go.

I'm hoping to avoid the common trap of "just use tubers" so that I can make something that will really impress them and show-off the primal diet (yet I can't be preachy about it).

Anyhow, taking suggestions for some good meal options!

Oh yeah, and one of them doesn't do well with spicy foods.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-27-2012, 08:32 PM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

I don't know. Steak, roasted sweet potatoes (maybe mashed with some pineapple, ginger, coconut and coconut oil?), and BAS?

We serve non-primal folks all the time. We mostly just service whatever we normally eat. Most people are impressed by it.

Comment

I think you missed the part where I was hoping to avoid using tubers just for the sake of adding carbs for CW friends. It's not that I'm aiming for a VLC meal, but I also don't want to feel like I have to totally base my menu around the fact that they are not primal.

I'm aiming for a meal that will impress without being simply a primal take on something already in the CW wisdom. I want to see if I can do something "uniquley primal."
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Appertisers:
        Guacamole/Hummus with carrot sticks and celery instead of crackers
        Sundried tomatoes and olives with various cheeses
        Jerky

Mains:
        Steak (we call it barbeque, I think you call it grilling?)
        Casserole / Curry / Stir fry / Salad
        Lasagne (using courgettes instead of noodles)
        Roast Meat + Veges

Dessert:
        Coconut cream chocolate mousse
        Fruit kebabs
        Nuts dipped in Dark Chocolate

Can't help you be 'unique', sorry. These are foods we eat all the time (although the Lasagne and Kebabs are more 'treat' foods that we can't be bothered cooking just for us).
        Last edited by magicmerl; 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

That's easy, then, just have multiple, different-veggie side-dishes.

Or, like what I do at thanksgiving:

first course: soup -- I like to make really simple blended soups (puree ones), using whatever is seasonal. it's spring, so asparagus is popular right now. If it's autumn where you are, you could use squash (though it might throw your VLC).

Second course: salad

third course: meat plus two veg. the two veg are generally something like a broccoli salad and then i like to do something like roasted beets, etc. But i like root veggies. You could probably get away with a kale salad of some kind too -- different warm salads. brussels sprouts? yeah, those are good.

final course: dessert. fruit usually. not very VLC, but you could make some kind of raw ice cream with avocados or something. maybe that beetroot flourless chocolate torte that's on the primal lunchbox thread.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            That's easy, then, just have multiple, different-veggie side-dishes.

Or, like what I do at thanksgiving:

first course: soup -- I like to make really simple blended soups (puree ones), using whatever is seasonal. it's spring, so asparagus is popular right now. If it's autumn where you are, you could use squash (though it might throw your VLC).

Second course: salad

third course: meat plus two veg. the two veg are generally something like a broccoli salad and then i like to do something like roasted beets, etc. But i like root veggies. You could probably get away with a kale salad of some kind too -- different warm salads. brussels sprouts? yeah, those are good.

final course: dessert. fruit usually. not very VLC, but you could make some kind of raw ice cream with avocados or something. maybe that beetroot flourless chocolate torte that's on the primal lunchbox thread.
            I'm ok with the meal not being VLC. But I don't just want to make something that is CW with a few "primal substitutions." That's all. I just want this meal to be unique.
            Last edited by Drumroll; 09-27-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

How about simple salads, eggplant lasagna, and fresh fruit kabobs with dark chocolate dipping sauce for desert. Of course there are lots of options. Is this like a casual get together (serve yourself style) or more like a dinner party?

Comment

IMO when hosting a group the main issues are ease and tastiness.
                Not so much "unique".
                Too "unique" and you tend to put people off... not every person is an adventurous eater.

Ease means you wont spend all the time your guests are in your home fussing over the food.
                Prep it and forget it type things instead of "fussy" things.
                No one enjoys it if the host/hostess is trying TOO hard.
                That usually means one of three things, a long slow cook, grilled foods for a casual group, or a food that can be served cool.

For groups I like both braising and and grilling.
                I never do formal. I just hate it.
                I'd do something like lamb or veal shanks for a long slow cook.
                Have it ready and staying warm...
                Serve it with generous numbers of bacon wrapped green bean or asparagus bundles with a balsamic reduction drizzle.
                (They can be prepped ahead too, and are easy to have ready at a specific time.)
                And maybe some roasted winter squash nuggets with onion... it's that time of year.
                *shrug*

Or I'd have a steak grill up for my "tame" friends
                OR there would be a wild pig BBQ (including the head)... head goes in the middle of the table during dinner for the brave.
                And yes, it gets eaten!
                I know that you can sometimes get head on pigs for roasting from butcher... do a suckling (or just larger) pig maybe? DELICIOUS!

It's all about knowing your audience... what is "unique" to one group is totally normal fare to the next... and possibly down right repulsive to another.
                Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012, 09:59 PM.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  IMO when hosting a group the main issues are ease and tastiness.
                  Not so much "unique".
                  Too "unique" and you tend to put people off... not every person is an adventurous eater.

Ease means you wont spend all the time your guests are in your home fussing over the food.
                  Prep it and forget it type things instead of "fussy" things.
                  No one enjoys it if the host/hostess is trying TOO hard.
                  That usually means one of three things, a long slow cook, grilled foods for a casual group, or a food that can be served cool.

For groups I like both braising and and grilling.
                  I never do formal. I just hate it.
                  I'd do something like lamb or veal shanks for a long slow cook.
                  Have it ready and staying warm...
                  Serve it with generous numbers of bacon wrapped green bean or asparagus bundles with a balsamic reduction drizzle.
                  (They can be prepped ahead too, and are easy to have ready at a specific time.)
                  And maybe some roasted winter squash nuggets with onion... it's that time of year.
                  *shrug*

Or I'd have a steak grill up for my "tame" friends
                  OR there would be a wild pig BBQ (including the head)... head goes in the middle of the table during dinner for the brave.
                  And yes, it gets eaten!
                  I know that you can sometimes get head on pigs for roasting from butcher... do a suckling (or just larger) pig maybe? DELICIOUS!

It's all about knowing your audience... what is "unique" to one group is totally normal fare to the next... and possibly down right repulsive to another.
                  Geez... I'm coming to your house for dinner

Comment

I didn't notice that I was making any substitutions. That's just how I eat.

Comment

I have been using this recipe with great success. Everyone has loved it.

Tender Lemon-Parsley Brisket | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

I also serve leeks with cream and nutmeg and the way I cook carrots is to boil them until they are just soft, and in a serving bowl put a bit of olive oil, apple cider vinegar (ratio 1/4 to 3/4) chop up some fresh garlic, let it all soak and then top with parsley. The three flavours work well together.
                      Life. Be in it.

Comment

i would think that as long as they're not vegetarian or vegan, any primal meal would satisfy and even dazzle just about anyone. i'm having non-primal friends over this weekend, and they're getting recipes i've read about on this forum. roasted veggies and sausage, stuffed tomatoes/peppers, butternut squash soup, red wine, etc.
                        no cw substitutions...just great tasting foods and celebration of fall and my anniversary.
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Ideas:
                          Southern Feast
                          Apps: Deviled eggs, veggie platter
                          Entree:
                          Pulled pork (crock pot)
                          Slaw
                          Collards
                          Green beans cooked with bacon

Dessert- people will be stuffed. But grill some peaches and serve with whipped cream

More elegant, but with some 20%
                          Appetizer
                          Wrap asparagus with prosiutto or bacon
                          Dress up deviled eggs with salad shrimp
                          old school- shrimp cocktails

Entree
                          Steak or some form of roast
                          Make a fancy blue cheese sauce if desired (20%)
                          Roasted vegetables

Dessert
                          Chocolate mousse (20%)
                          or to be fully primal
                          Berries layered with whipped coconut cream

"Cocktail hour"
                          The bora bira meatballs from Well Fed
                          Steak salad cups (this months Bon Appetit)
                          Crudites and dip made with home made aioli
                          Bacon wrapped Figs
                          Prosiitto wrapped asparagus
                          deviled eggs
                          Berries dipped in dark chocolate

I'll just say- primal eating isn't all that unique unless you get into offal which is probably not gonna fly. I wouldn't bother with making faked CW and SAD foods. Just pull together an assemblage of primal foods in a theme.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Appetizers:
                            Guacamole deviled eggs Bacon wrapped around jalapeno's or figs or anything really

Zuccini pizza bites
                            slice cucumber, layer smoked salmon, cream cheese or brie, tiny diced red onions for primal locs type appetizer.

Entree: (Sorry most have dairy cuz I love it)
                            Primal Eggplant parmesean
                            or
                            Asian or jerk chicken lettuce boats
                            or
                            Zuccini boats
                            or
                            Philly cheese steak stuffed peppers

Some sides:
                            roasted brussel sprouts with crumbled bacon/ simple salad with strawberries, chicken, romaine, feta, and homemade blue cheese/ stuff mushrooms with something yummy like crab or spinich artichoke dip (home made) / Simply sautee mushrooms in butter/ roast aspargus in coconut oil and season with chile and paprika.

Desert:
                            strawberries and stuff with primal cheese cake
                            or
                            berries and cream or coconut cream/ layer in champagne classes to look even fancier top with shaved chocolate or shreaded coconut
                            Peaches and ricotta cheese desert
                            F/37yr/5' 5"
                            SW: 154 March 2011
                            CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
                            PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
                            With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
                            GW: 120
                            Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

Whoops double posted!!
                              Last edited by mom5booklover; 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM.
                              F/37yr/5' 5"
                              SW: 154 March 2011
                              CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
                              PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
                              With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
                              GW: 120
                              Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

Working...
                              X