Coconut Milk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Milk

Could someone suggest a good brand of coconut milk? I have been using So Delicious unsweetened vanilla because of it's availability and taste, but I read it's not a good choice. Thanks.

Native forest does not use bpa in the can liner.

Comment

Are you asking about Coconut Milk Drink, or Coconut Milk? The Soy Delicious Coconut Milk Drink sold in milk cartons is a very different product than Coconut Milk, which usually comes in cans.

Comment

Originally posted by JWBooth View Post
        Are you asking about Coconut Milk Drink, or Coconut Milk? The Soy Delicious Coconut Milk Drink sold in milk cartons is a very different product than Coconut Milk, which usually comes in cans.
        It would be helpful if you would explain the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by XGrains View Post
          It would be helpful if you would explain the difference.
          Coconut Milk DRINK is a beverage that happens to have some coconut milk in it with other chemicals and lots of water. It is meant to be a "milk replacement" for those who want a milk-like drink but don't want to drink cows milk.

Real Coconut Milk is sold in a can, and is only coconut meat and milk. You will find "low fat" versions where they have added water to it, ich... real coconut milk is much thicker than that stuff in the box and useful for many things - and quite yummy! You can also, of course, get it from a coconut as well
          Last edited by Catrin; 09-28-2012, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catrin View Post
            Coconut Milk DRINK is a beverage that happens to have some coconut milk in it with other chemicals and lots of water. It is meant to be a "milk replacement" for those who want a milk-like drink but don't want to drink cows milk.

Real Coconut Milk is sold in a can, and is only coconut meat and milk. You will find "low fat" versions where they have added water to it, ich... real coconut milk is much thicker than that stuff in the box and useful for many things - and quite yummy! You can also, of course, get it from a coconut as well
            Coconut "milk" (not the drink) is a human invention not found in the coconut itself. You can make coconut "milk" from coconut but you will not find it in a coconut when you open it.
            And also there is no coconut meat in coconut "milk".
            Last edited by KathyH; 09-28-2012, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
              You can make coconut "milk" from coconut but you will not find it in a coconut when you open it.
              I bought one to try to make my own, but havent yet. Maybe later today
              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                Coconut "milk" (not the drink) is a human invention not found in the coconut itself. You can make coconut "milk" from coconut but you will not find it in a coconut when you open it.
                I stand corrected on the presence of coconut meat - unsure why I typed it because I knew that already. Thanks!

Comment

Should I always avoid the use of coconut milk drink or would it be ok to add to coffee and in smoothies? It's mostly 4.5g fat, 4 saturated, and 2 carbs per 8 ounces.

Comment

Originally posted by XGrains View Post
                    Should I always avoid the use of coconut milk drink or would it be ok to add to coffee and in smoothies? It's mostly 4.5g fat, 4 saturated, and 2 carbs per 8 ounces.
                    What else is in it? Did you read the ingredients list?

Comment

Here's the ingredient list. Should I avoid completely, or use occasionally?

Nutrition Facts
                      Serving Size 1 cup (240 mL)

Amount Per Serving
                      Calories 50
                      Calories from Fat 40

% Daily Value*
                      Total Fat 4.5g 7%
                      Saturated Fat 4g 20%
                      Trans Fat 0g
                      Cholesterol 0mg 0%
                      Sodium 65mg 3%
                      Potassium 65mg 2%
                      Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
                      Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
                      Sugar 0g
                      Protein 0g

• Vitamin A10%• Vitamin C0%• Calcium10%• Iron0%• Vitamin D30%• Folate6%• Vitamin B1250%• Magnesium8%• Zinc4%• Selenium8%** Comprised of about 65% medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs)
                      Ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), NATURAL FLAVORS, VANILLA EXTRACT, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, KOSHER SEA SALT, CARRAGEENAN, GUAR GUM, REB A (STEVIA EXTRACT), MONK FRUIT, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.

Comment

This is their unsweetened version?? Sheesh.

Yeah, besides the sweeteners the thickeners there's a bunch of artificial vitamins. Calcium and magnesium, um, ok. Folic acid - not really used by your body. D-2 - why? And I don't trust "natural flavors" - that could be anything these days.

Yeah, get the cans. Even the 75 cent cans from the hispanic market. Or the more expensive and more tasty Thai Kitchen. Or order the BPA-free ones off Amazon. I put plain coconut milk from a can in my coffee all the time (along with a bit of stevia powder), it's yummy.

Even better, make your own.

Comment

I looked on Amazon for coconut milk and most of them contain the following: organic coconut, water, organic guar gum.
                          Is there a pure brand of coconut milk in BPA free cans?

Comment

Yes, Aroy-D in the cardboard box has no BPA, and it's just water and coconut. And the price is very good, for a very delicious coconut milk that can be drank straight or added to anything. I've tried some of the other brands from cans, and they taste grainy, or gummy and strange. But the Aroy-D is smooth and milky, and sweet - not bland like the other brands I've tried. I drink a box every day in my coffee.

Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              Yes, Aroy-D in the cardboard box has no BPA, and it's just water and coconut. And the price is very good, for a very delicious coconut milk that can be drank straight or added to anything. I've tried some of the other brands from cans, and they taste grainy, or gummy and strange. But the Aroy-D is smooth and milky, and sweet - not bland like the other brands I've tried. I drink a box every day in my coffee.
                              I don't trust tetrapaks either. Just because BPA has had numerous studies and not other chemicals involved packaging doesn't mean BPA is the only thing you should avoid.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                              X