No announcement yet.

Looking For Primal Foods that Do not Need to Be Refrigerated, Preferably LC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canned salmon tastes better than tuna or sardines. I find it has a better texture and tastes/smells far less "fishy". Also, I gag at the thought of canned meat but have discovered that canned chicken breast is not too bad.

Comment

I would _try_ sharing the refrigerator.. What do you have to lose? Look at it as an experiment to see if it will work. Maybe even a cultural experiment. If after trying it for a week or two it's not working, look for your own fridge.

I like Spam. Seriously, it has a short, explicative ingredient list. I think it's pretty safe for a factory pork product. Slice it about 1/8" thin and brown it gently in a pan. Put it on a salad. Have it with rice and seaweed for Musubi.

Matt-

Comment

Originally posted by ezeflier View Post
        I would _try_ sharing the refrigerator.. What do you have to lose? Look at it as an experiment to see if it will work. Maybe even a cultural experiment. If after trying it for a week or two it's not working, look for your own fridge.
        +1 ... I've had to share a fridge with THREE other roommates for the past year (two I didn't know very well either)... it can work!

Comment

I've been trying various types of canned seafood lately, either in water or olive oil. Have liked all of these:
          Cockles (small, clamlike)
          Kippers (smoked herring)
          Smoked clams
          Anchovies (salty but good on eggs, salads, etc.)
          Sardines with skin and bones

Also, I keep coconut butter (100% ground up coconut) on the shelf, easier to eat that way. Dried wakame seaweed is good, you can rehydrate as much as you want at one time in about 5 minutes with plain water.

Re the dried fish from asian markets, how are you guys eating it...straight?
          Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

most of them are too salty for me to eat straight away -- the sodium blows me up like a balloon. i soak them for about 15 minutes or so, than add to simmering til they are soft.

where are you guys finding coconut butter? i looked in trader joe's as well as a giant pan-asian supermarket with no luck.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

TJ's doesn't have coconut butter. Whole Foods has it with the oils, I think.
              Depression Lies

Comment

You'll need your veggies, but most vegetables don't keep well without a fridge. How about pickled veggies? You can find pickled carrots, beans, beets. It's really a shame you're not into canned meat, tinned salmon is especially good.
                Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

you can keep butter on the counter as well as RAW milk. its just going to sour pretty quickly
                  Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                  Before and after pics
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                  Primal Sucess Story
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                  Primal Journal
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

I didn't read all the responses but the first few and noticed someone said that eggs can't be kept at room temp. Fresh pastured eggs especially if unwashed can be kept at room temperature for many weeks actually. Washing shortens the time but they are still good to go for quite a while. We keep ours on the counter and my understanding is many cultures do not refrigerate them. They are kind of designed to sit out and not spoil until the hen has layed as many as she wants to sit on. Which is often three or four weeks worth. For the other things I think I'd try to either share the house fridge or get the room fridge. Hopefully, you will start feeling more comfortable there soon. Sorry about your break up.

Comment

yes most other cultures do keep eggs safely at room temp, but unlike elsewhere, standard practice in the u.s. is to wash eggs before selling them, which removes the natural protective coating on the eggshell, making them more susceptible to contamination.

if you can buy farm eggs unwashed, then yes, they are fine at room temp for more than a few days.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks for all the lovely suggestions guys! I actually made a list yesterday and pretty much bought some form of everything that was suggested by you all. The list included
                        1. Coconut Butter
                        2. Fresh Pasteured eggs to be used up in 3 days
                        3. Canned Fish including canned sardines, Canned Mackerels and Canned Salmon
                        4. Nuts mainly cashew and macadamia
                        5. Some pickled veggies
                        6. Bison Jerky
                        7. Grassfed Butter

I have also opened up to the idea of sharing a frigde. I actually thought I would be sharing the house with two people but it is just me and the owner of the house! haha, yes, I was so desperate to find a decent place so quickly that I did not even bother to confirm. I just thought that given the size of the house there will be at least one other roomate, but apparently the landlord/owner is self employed and keeps the extra rooms for her business. Anyway thanks again for the great ideas!

Comment

Working...
                        X