No announcement yet.

Calorie Counting vs Eat What You Want

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a calorie counter,but have been doing Whole 30 and not counting and it is working. However, most of the foods I overeat are eliminated Whole 30. I still watch portions. I don't worry about carbs and the fruits and veggies don't add up much.

I think calorie counting is great if you have no idea why you aren't losing. Or if you are curious about macros. The downside is that when I calorie count and eat with the 20% buffer, I end up alotting calories towards junk by eliminating good stuff. Like, "If I skip the banana and eat 6 oz of steak instead of 8, I can have icecream".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
      I don't count calories or macros. I ball park/eye ball it. I come from a family of big eaters, so it's been a process of reducing, over time & organically, my portions & tendencies to go back for 2nd & 3rds, which I still do some. I'm not here to suffer, I'm here to thrive. So sometimes I still over-eat & sometimes I don't. Mostly lately I don't. Fasting for +- 48 hrs straight thru every week has helped, as it reduces my weekly calorie count & also hikes up my fat burning & autophagy rocks all around for many reasons. I AM consciously eating smaller portions, some of the time, which is progress from my normal piggish repasts...
      Re Fasting: A month or more before going Primal I did a 3 day fast, and then 24hrs each week with daily 8hr windows. My energy went through the roof, and I felt "alive" again. I've dropped it while I make the switch to fat burning but am curious to know your experience of breaking a fast Betorq? Everything I've read is for sugar burners and talks about breaking with papaya and other easily digested fruit to get the system up and running again...

How does this work for a fat burner?

Comment

I ate way too many calories yesterday. First I had a buttered coffee and I put double the butter in there because I was super hungry when I woke up. Then I packed some food and rode my bike to work where I bought a big salad. I normally get a Greek salad because there's not a lot of fattening stuff on top, and then I just add my own stuff, but all they had were cobb salads, which are loaded with goodies on top. So to a cobb salad, which has bacon, turkey ham, bleu cheese and sliced eggs I added about 2 cups of avocado, cut up beef, oil and vinegar and olive tapenade. This huge fat bomb was so delicious. I ate the whole thing and then I was stuffed. I didn't want dinner. I was still full this morning. I bet that salad had 2000 or 2500 calories. As long as those extra calories are really super satisfying ones from multiple types of fat, it seem to even out for me.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I use MFP. And you can adjust their formual for macros. Under food ->goals-> custom. You can change it if you want lower carbs...higher fat or whatever your liking. It help to see the value of food. Sometimes you dont really know the cost of food. Like nuts... I didnt know they had so many carbs.... but they do. and that affects my plan if I am trying to limit them. I have been using it for a while and some times I enter as I go and sometimes I enter at the end of the day... the end of the day is always so surprising to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
            I don't count calories or macros. I ball park/eye ball it. I come from a family of big eaters, so it's been a process of reducing, over time & organically, my portions & tendencies to go back for 2nd & 3rds, which I still do some. I'm not here to suffer, I'm here to thrive. So sometimes I still over-eat & sometimes I don't. Mostly lately I don't. Fasting for +- 48 hrs straight thru every week has helped, as it reduces my weekly calorie count & also hikes up my fat burning & autophagy rocks all around for many reasons. I AM consciously eating smaller portions, some of the time, which is progress from my normal piggish repasts...
            Sounds like you are doing it right :-)
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
              I was wondering if there was value in counting my daily calories
              Calorie counting works for me. When I started, I wasn't losing weight. When I started counting calories I found that my breakfast was 800 calories. By going to a two egg mushroom omelette with butter, it dropped to under 400. Using something I'm happy with means that I have dropped 45lbs since early March.

Obviously a lot of people think differently to me, so my advice would be to go with what works for you.
              Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                Calorie counting works for me. When I started, I wasn't losing weight. When I started counting calories I found that my breakfast was 800 calories. By going to a two egg mushroom omelette with butter, it dropped to under 400. Using something I'm happy with means that I have dropped 45lbs since early March.

Obviously a lot of people think differently to me, so my advice would be to go with what works for you.
                Way to go Nigel.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post

yeah I hear ya. I didn't count my breakfast this morning before I ate and when i put it in my fitness pal it added up to 600 kcal. What I normally do I plug in my meals the day before so I can play around with the macro since I tend to eat too much protein.

Comment

Working...
                  X