Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do antinutrients protect grains?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    Wheat will make you very sick if you try to eat in raw off the stalk. We manage to make it edible by drying, grinding, fermenting, sprouting, baking, and all the other processing we do to it.

    If something needs that much processing just to be edible at all, kinda makes you think that it is not a good idea to eat it in the first place.
    Are you talking about just yourself by saying that wheat will make you very sick if you eat it raw off the stalk? Or are you saying that it will make majority of the human population sick?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by KathyH View Post
      Are you talking about just yourself by saying that wheat will make you very sick if you eat it raw off the stalk? Or are you saying that it will make majority of the human population sick?
      No human can digest raw wheat efficiently. You have to go through the trouble of sprouting it to even have a chance of getting any sort of benefit from it, and even then it's still filled with antinutrients.
      Last edited by Bosnic; 09-27-2012, 06:47 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
        No human can digest raw wheat efficiently. You have to go through the trouble of sprouting it to even have a chance of getting any sort of benefit from it, and even then it's still filled with antinutrients.
        Not sure why you quoted me as the question was to Paleobird whether raw wheat makes her sick or whether she is claiming that the entire population of humans will get very sick. Nowhere it was mentioned about digesting raw wheat efficiently.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by KathyH View Post
          Not sure why you quoted me as the question was to Paleobird whether raw wheat makes her sick or whether she is claiming that the entire population of humans will get very sick. Nowhere it was mentioned about digesting raw wheat efficiently.

          Because it is called a forum and people answer questions
          .
          The hull is inedible according to Livestromg even with the hull removed they need to be soaked before being eaten. Not the best source I know but since they are pro grains I would believe them in this case. And from Is it healthy to eat raw grain soaked in water overnight? seems to confirm they will pretty much make everyone sick unless you have an industrial digestive tract
          Essential they are undigestible raw with the hulls on whether they make you sick or not.
          Last edited by Dirlot; 09-27-2012, 07:22 AM.
          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
          PS
          Don't forget to play!

          Comment


          • #20
            If you eat wheat right off the stalk it doesn't break down like normal human food does. It turns into gum. Literally, tasteless, chewing gum. Favorite treat when I was a little farmgirl was to take a handful of whole raw wheat and chew it into gum. It's not something that your mouth instinct tells you to swallow.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Dirlot View Post

              Because it is called a forum and people answer questions
              .
              The hull is inedible according to Livestromg even with the hull removed they need to be soaked before being eaten. Not the best source I know but since they are pro grains I would believe them in this case. And from Is it healthy to eat raw grain soaked in water overnight? seems to confirm they will pretty much make everyone sick unless you have an industrial digestive tract
              Essential they are undigestible raw with the hulls on whether they make you sick or not.
              Thanks for the derail

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                Thanks for the derail
                Huh? The two links help address the OP original question. EDIT And your question.
                Last edited by Dirlot; 09-27-2012, 09:23 PM.
                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                  Huh? The two links help address the OP original question.
                  HUH? You quoted me not the OP

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                    Not sure why you quoted me as the question was to Paleobird whether raw wheat makes her sick or whether she is claiming that the entire population of humans will get very sick. Nowhere it was mentioned about digesting raw wheat efficiently.
                    Because I've been busy taking care of my Dad in the hospital the past two days. Bosnic said exactly what I would have, had I been available.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Because I've been busy taking care of my Dad in the hospital the past two days. Bosnic said exactly what I would have, had I been available.
                      Don't say that you will be accused of derailing the thread...lol

                      Hope your Dad is ok.
                      Last edited by Dirlot; 09-28-2012, 10:08 PM.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        Because I've been busy taking care of my Dad in the hospital the past two days. Bosnic said exactly what I would have, had I been available.
                        So does it make you sick or it will make the entire population of human beings sick? Bosnic didn't say

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                          So does it make you sick or it will make the entire population of human beings sick? Bosnic didn't say
                          LOL you are too much answered in the post where you claimed I was derailing - face meet palm.
                          Last edited by Dirlot; 09-29-2012, 08:47 AM.
                          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                          PS
                          Don't forget to play!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Growing up on the farm we would eat raw wheat, oats barley with no side effects. Fresh off the stalk it was chewy tender sort of like pasta that was 30 seconds away from el dente. After sitting in the grainery for a while it got very hard

                            Mind you, we didn't make a meal of it. In the 60's and 70's I recall 'hippies' soaking and cooking whole wheat berries. I think they even served it at mother earth news eco village restaurants in north carolina.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by twa2w View Post
                              Growing up on the farm we would eat raw wheat, oats barley with no side effects. Fresh off the stalk it was chewy tender sort of like pasta that was 30 seconds away from el dente. After sitting in the grainery for a while it got very hard

                              Mind you, we didn't make a meal of it. In the 60's and 70's I recall 'hippies' soaking and cooking whole wheat berries. I think they even served it at mother earth news eco village restaurants in north carolina.
                              Thank you, twa2w. This gives me more to think about (I'm the OP). I didn't know it was possible to eat raw wheat off the stalk. Are there any animals that eat wheat "in the wild"? I know it's not good for cattle.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X